I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tiger Wrap Questions
Posted by: Bob Caulkins (---.doc.wa.gov)
Date: November 21, 2010 01:17PM

Hello, I'm a newbie and think either I've bitten off more than I could chew, or may have just painted myself in a corner. Any help would be really appreciated.

My dilemma is that I'm trying my first tiger wrap, and I'm uncertain about the colors I should use, or if my options need to be tossed before I try it. the 3 basic colors I want to do for the guides and incorporate to some extent in the tiger are Metalic Gold, Candy Apple Red, and Metalic Copper. I did not plan to use color preserver on the red because I wanted it to be dark but translucent. I figured the gold underneath would lighten it just right.

The tiger I want to be the pale gold over contrasting darker colors like the red and something else. Are there any suggestions out there that would be fairly simple, or do I just need to rethink my approach?

Sorry if this is a repetative question, but the search didn't really answer my question.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tiger Wrap Questions
Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 21, 2010 03:43PM

The candy apple will turn out really dark and the top thread will define the color of the tiger. I'm assuming you will do the two metallics on the bottom? Burnishing metallics to make the optical effect takes a careful hand. With metallics on the bottom, you might want at least three epoxy coats before the top thread. Your best bet is to try it on a short stick. You wont have to do a lot, just an inch or so to test out the color combo, even a few gaps in the test won't matter, all you want to do is check the colors. I think those colors will be a lot more subtle than you'd think.

Date: November 21, 2010 03:48PM

Thanks for the reply...that's what I was afraid of. I really didn't want to do any metallics on the bottom, too unforgiving when burnishing. I was hoping a red and blue with a gold metalic top would have worked.

Maybe the red and black with color preserver it would burnish easier, and still allow for a solid pop?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 21, 2010 05:09PM

Make sure you read the articles. They contain important information about contrast and coloration.

Posted by: Andy Cichon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 21, 2010 07:03PM

Go onto the photo page, find the tiger wrap you like and read the comments. The author usually lists the threads he used. I hope this helps.

Posted by: Matthew Smith (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2010 10:06AM

I have tried metalics on the top and just didn't like the results. I like the top to just about be invisible. I think what I would look for is either some non-metallic gold and copper colors in just nylon A that are a pretty close match, or go with some colors that compliment the gold/copper/red combo and work those into the tiger. I have also used candy apple for the top and had the whole wrap come out pretty dark and hard to see unless it was in bright light.

Give this a try on your test stick:

Black and gold nylon A with CP on the bottom, or use Black nylon A with metallic gold (I just don't like metalics that much for this...my own taste) with no CP on the bottom. Apply your finish coat, or 2...whatever makes you happy. Then try white nylon A on the top with no CP, keeping the ends barely long enough to lock down at each end of the tiger, pull out your sacrifice thread and coat with a thin coat of finish, being careful not to pile it up at each end and make a bulge. Then wrap over the white at each end with your candy apple red and metallic copper and/or gold as a trim band/wrap and finish over the whole thing. I use the white with no CP on top because it disappears leaving only the visual effect, doesn't seem to change the underneath colors, and seems to brighten the whole picture some. I have not tried it with black and gold under, which is a great reason to try it on your test piece first, but I imagine it should come out pretty nice.

Matt Smith
Greensboro, NC

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 23, 2010 10:59AM

When playing with these wraps I liked NCP white as one of the bottom colors instead of black. it brightened it up nice.

maybe the two metallics with the white in between on the bottom ?

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 23, 2010 01:49PM

Wow thanks a ton for the help guys. I tried to lurk in the photo section, but kept getting told I wasn't a registered member. Registered again, and will check back later today. I'm really liking the ideas, and really, really appreciate the advice. Probably will keep the neighbors from learning new strings of profanity laced words when I put the theory to the test!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 23, 2010 02:56PM

The photo page and this forum are two different sites. Hopefully you read this:

[rodbuilding.org]

Date: November 24, 2010 10:35AM

I think I'm going to play it safe and try to find a close solid color match to my gold metalic, and lay that with the contrast. Did a little messing around with the metalic thread, and in my opinion doesn't play well with others. Is this your reason as well Matt?

I think tonight after work will be experimenting with tensions, and possibly a few other ideas. Now that I can look at the photo's I see what is meant with the use of the white thread. I'm really looking forward to results thanks to you guys and your advice. Can't seem to say that enough.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster