I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxies
Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: November 15, 2010 08:15AM

For those of you who have been using the different epoxies, what do you find to be the thinnest marketed epoxie in todays market? I am looking for one that doesn't have to be thinned or cut with another chemical. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxies
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 15, 2010 09:11AM

None have to be cut or thinned (nor is it a good idea to do so). Are you simply wanting to find a very thin epoxy product? Any of the lite versions are generally pretty thin to start with.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: November 15, 2010 09:42AM

Yes, I was trying to find something really really thin without cutting it. Something along the lines of the old Crystal Kote.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: November 15, 2010 09:49AM

I have been very happy with Thread-master Lite for thin epoxy work (some types of marbling, transparent wraps and other good penetration requirements).

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (---.43.254.125.unassigned.soulaustralia.com.au)
Date: November 15, 2010 09:59AM

I am very happy with "Fex Coat" for lite applications.

To get minimum build up of resin, let your dryer stop with guides up and wick any excess resin from the bottom of you wraps.

Very effective for ultra thin epoxy.

In my opinion, epoxy should never be thinned with anything at all.

Paul.

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Date: November 15, 2010 10:03AM

There is a product called Klass Kote which is available at many hobby shops. It's a solvent based epoxy similar is not exact to the old Crystal Coat. They may be at the Expo this year. In the meantime, check your local hobby or craft shop.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 15, 2010 10:30AM

HERE IS THERE SITE : [klasskote.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Brad Young (---.sub-75-216-90.myvzw.com)
Date: November 15, 2010 12:02PM

How well will this hold up on fishing rods?

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (---.37.122.62.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 15, 2010 12:31PM

Mudhole's ProKote is much thinner than TM Lite is!! Very very thin, and it slowly thickens, but you can still work it for a while and add some of the thicker stuff. I let it soak into the threads/guide tunnels for a bit and then add some of the thicker stuff to build it up a little.

Date: November 15, 2010 02:52PM

Klass Kote is an epoxy paint, but has been used successfully on thread wraps by many. It behaves a little differently than our common epoxy casting resins which make up the bulk of the thread coatings on the market currently. Expect to use several coats if you desire a medium to high build final product. It's very thin, like varnish.

Posted by: Adam Edwards (210.9.200.---)
Date: November 15, 2010 06:25PM

Hi Terry, slightly heating epoxy makes it very thin. It is spring in Australia and is currently just over 90 degrees F, epoxy at room temp is only just more viscous than water. Pot life is significantly shorter though. I cant notice a huge difference to winter when it reaches a very chilly 50 degrees F here in QLD (LOL). regards Adam

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 16, 2010 01:10AM

Why not Perma Gloss it is thin as water, down side it takes about 4 coats

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster