I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reusable Urethane/Paint Container
Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2010 02:29PM

I just got back from the hardware store after a regrettably frequent occurrence: I went to finish a couple of cord wraps, only to find that my trusty can of Minwax Helmsman was not sealed correctly the last time I used it, and instead of a pint and a half of liquid goodness, I was greeted with a solid block of hardened urethane that would require a jackhammer to get out of the can.

So I went around the corner and shelled out $16 for a new quart, and while I was standing in line, I thought that there has to be a better way. And that if anyone had come up with a solution for this, they'd be a poster here - I think this is the most ingenious group of people I've ever come across.

I asked a guy at the hardware store if the stuff comes in sizes smaller than a quart (he said no), and I asked him if there was some kind or reusable container that would seal easily and keep the stuff liquid, and he said he couldn't think of anything.

Is there anything out there that I could use to keep urethane from hardening, and that would store it safely? I've thought of plastic, but I'm thinking that the chemicals in plastic might react with the chemicals in the urethane. I've thought of glass, like a mason jar, but I'm thinking that light might react with the urethane while it's inside (I think there's probably a reason that paint is shipped in opaque containers). I thought that a small metal gasoline can would be absolutely perfect, but the smallest can I could find was 2.5 gallons, which would be useless for quantities that are 32 oz. and less.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

P.S.: Please don't tell me to be more careful when closing/sealing the can. I've tried everything, and can still never seem to get more than halfway through a quart before this happens. I use this stuff about a thimble at a time, and there's just no way that I'm going to be able to open and reseal a paint can 200 times without having this happen once.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reusable Urethane/Paint Container
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2010 03:14PM

Might try this suggestion by Mr Kirkman. works with Permagloss, don't see why it wound not do the same for you

[rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 23, 2010 04:33PM

Steve,

Great minds think alike. .....Now where did I put mine.... :-)

DR

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2010 07:19PM

After sealing the can, store it upside down. Thye liquid inside will self seal. I do this with all of the liquids I store. Paint, Urethane, Perma Gloss, etc. It seems to help.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 23, 2010 07:45PM

For Permagloss you need a size something like a 1/4 pint. I can find places that sell them, but they want to sell you a case of them (hundreds of cans), but I only need a few. Anybody know who has them in smaller quantities? Local paint stores and Lowes and Home Depot have quart size, just too large.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 23, 2010 07:48PM

I found some half pint cans at Hobby Lobby. They work good for PG.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2010 10:40PM

I agree with Bill.
Any time that you use paint or other material from a can, close the can and turn it upside down. As long as you have the lid on securely, the lid will keep the contents inside. The fact that the material is all around the can closure the seal will be complete.

This is also why it is a good idea with any CAN that contains a sort of paint and that has a groove in the can with a corresponding lip to drop into the can to seal - it is a good idea to perforate the bottom of the groove with several holes.
I typically use a 6 or 8 penny finishing nail to pound several holes in the cans groove around the diameter of the can top.

Then, as you use the material and have material drop into the groove from the brush, the excess material will go through the grooves holes and back into the can.
This will also allow you to completely get the can sealed. i.e. with no material in the groove, the lid will seal tightly.

But, even after this - still store the can upside down for a 100% secure seal. I have stored varous types of paint and varnish for years this way, and the material is just fine when opened and stirred.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster