I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bug-Bond
Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.web-proxy.us)
Date: October 20, 2010 03:17PM

FYI, Harrison Advance Rod Co. has stopped using thread to whip their guides on rod shafts. They are now using a glue called Bug-Bond to mount the guides. It will be interesting to see if this will become the new means for whipping rod guides onto a blank. I saw one of the rods today and the guide feet sit and look like they would on a transparent or threadless guide mount. Most people would not notice the difference. Just looks like no color preserver has been used until you get really close and see that there is no thread there at all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bug-Bond
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 20, 2010 03:48PM

THre' sa post on another site with a rod built with this stuff, and a review aftr fishing. From the guy who "invented" or markets & sells it.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: October 20, 2010 04:44PM

Looks like it's a photo-activated acrylic as opposed to a "glue".

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 20, 2010 04:51PM

It's a UV cured coating. Serviceable but I doubt many custom builders would find the slightly sloppy look, appealing.

Mike McCoy at Snake Brand Guides is working on a similar system along with a fixture that automatically aligns the guides during set-up.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: October 20, 2010 07:26PM

What happened to the other adhesive that was being developed that showed some real potential for use in securing guides on fishing rods?

Is that the system from Snake Brand?

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: October 21, 2010 10:48AM

what about the coating that was being discussed on the blog? would it be suitable for this application?

Tom

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 21, 2010 11:12AM

No, I don't think you could use it like that. While I think it will eventually replace epoxy as a wrap coating, It's not an adhesive in that same sense. At least not from what I'm being told.

I'm not sure what Mike is tinkering with. I was more interested in the fixture he had devised for aligning guides - you don't put the guides on the blank, the put the blank on the guides. It's quite an interesting concept.

I got the new TTW this morning and there is a story about BugBond being used on fishing rods. The photo they show has a guide glued to the blank with the stuff. One end of a guide foot is sticking completely out of the adhesive and the other one looks pretty bad. Now that may be due to poor application, but if that's the best it will do I really don't see it being the sort of thing that any custom builder is going to want to bother with. But that's just me.

Posted by: David Edwards (---.duftonkellner.co.uk)
Date: November 11, 2010 09:18AM

I'm the guilty party responsible for the material, the rod and the photo...

I'd like to point out for clarity that Harrison Advanced Rods in Liverpool have not stopped putting whippings on rods (to my knowledge). I know Dr Steve Harrison very well and I conducted tests with Harrison's to test the viability and really to prove that the material is what it is! They provided the blanks for the test.

Those tests culminated in me building a rod on a Harrison Lohric blank in under 2 hours (excluding handle). I am not a rod builder and this was my first rod... I tie flies and catch fish ( I just so happened to develop something along the way)! I don't have a rod turner and all the coatings were done by hand...

The rod is a 9ft 9# and is thread free from tip to handle and has had 15 fish to 16lb in weight... sure extensive testing is required and that is now a continuous process (not helped by me snapping the tip on a bush! But then the new section was ringed in 1/2 hour and ready to fish immediately.) How long it will last is subject to conjecture as no-one has done it before with my material.

With great respect (I'm not a rod builder and probably treading on thin ice) I would like to comment on the photo in TTW. The material is the same refractive index as glass and it may be the way the photo has been taken that it looks as if the foot is sticking out of the adhesive however, I can assure you it isn't... it is fully coated. Again those coatings were turned by hand by me at home and the ring is on the rod and cured in less than 10 minutes... the rod rings have not been fettled - just straight out of the bag from Hopkins and Holloway.

It was an exercise to prove a point... it can be done.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster