I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

securing tapered gimbal in chuck suggestions needed
Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 16, 2010 11:13PM

Something that's irritated me for a while, and I've tried several ideas with less than ideal results; at least once a week I'll have a boat rod in for repair that I put on my rod lathe, only to have the chuck loose its grip on the tapered gimbal during the re-wrap.

I guess i need a suggestion to make a thin set of soft jaws if that will give me a better grip on the tapered stuff, but thought i'd ask the experts before i start more trial and error.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: securing tapered gimbal in chuck suggestions needed
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2010 11:17PM

Wrap the gimbal with a few wraps of electrical tape. The jaws will have a little something to bite into.

Lance

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 17, 2010 12:04AM

Masking tape a piece of paper towel wrapped around the gimbal. easy to get off too.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: October 17, 2010 03:00AM

In addition to the aforementioned tips,its a good idea to build up the very bottom end of the gimble to match the OD at the upper end of the gimble. Less likliehood of it wanting to travel on you.

Posted by: Kevin Bogan (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 17, 2010 07:49AM

Wrap rubber bands around the gimbal, it should hold up fine.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 17, 2010 08:40AM

Hose clamp around the chuck jaws, can't wait to get the new Batson replacement.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 17, 2010 09:30AM

The ALPS chuck is a HUGE improvement (I bought two one for my AmTak and one for my PacBay) - but any/all chucks will slip on a tapered gimbal. Any of the suggestions that build up the tapered end of the gimbal above will work.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 17, 2010 10:00AM

Walt,
Just wrap the undersized section of gimbal with blue low tack masking tape before chucking it into your lathe. Also put a couple of wraps of blue low masking tape on the larger portion of the gimpal to give the lathe chuck something to bite into - then just be sure to have the butt of the gimbal built up enough to match the thicker part of the gimbal and you will be good to go.

Roger

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 17, 2010 10:23PM

Do it all the time with rubber bands, quick and easy but it never slips.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 19, 2010 02:30PM

Walt,

I just use a very tight butt cap. Even with the tapered end I have no issues with it slipping off. If anything I have to work the butt cap off the end of the rod but as stated I have never had one slip off while in the chuck.

tight lines,

John Hernandez

Posted by: Mike Edmonds (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: October 20, 2010 11:50AM

I use EVA foam. Comes in all different ID's and you cut about 1.5-2" long pc. and slip it over the tapered butt. Works for me it's reusable and your not wasting all that tape.

Fish Hard,

Captain Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster