I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank dying question
Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: October 17, 2010 09:37AM

Folks,
I have a jigging rod to build. It is a SYNIT jigging blank. The pattern on the rod is a woven graphite/kevlar fabric in a basketweave pattern. It is cream, pea green and black. I need to transform this to red and black. I have gotten great suggestions from other builders on how to do this, but wanted to post a question here. If I add food coloring to finish to give it a "red wine" appearance and, thereby transforming the blank to the red appearance desired, would this work? I DO NOT want opaque. I want translucent.

My thought was to do the red coat then recoat with clear to seal it in.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank dying question
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: October 17, 2010 10:11AM

If you add red tint to Permagloss, you definitely get a translucent finish ... not transparent and definitely not opaque. Permagloss is too thin to allow the tint to actually "color" the blank AND you control the amount of tint. Just remember, it looks darker and more saturated in the mixing bowl than on the blank ... but you can always apply multiple coats.

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 17, 2010 01:29PM

Kevin,

The only big issue I see with using the food coloring is that it will fade very quickly. I have a friend that just painted a gray graphite blank with a green translucent paint that looks great. I will find out what he used and post here.

Tight lines,

John Hernandez

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 17, 2010 02:38PM

I believe food coloring is water soluable, and not appropriate for mixing with solvent bases.

Posted by: Nuno Paulino (---.cpe.netcabo.pt)
Date: October 17, 2010 06:17PM

Try to use glass paint mixed with Permagloss. It will be translucent.
I use "Pebeo Vitrail". If you make a search in Google its easy to find.
Abraço

Nuno

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: October 17, 2010 11:08PM

John i would like to know what he used as well. Pleas e-mail me
Thanks

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 18, 2010 09:27AM

The pigment from the bottom of an unstirred bottle of Testor's paint will tint PermaGloss very well. It's a very subtle effect, however, and not anywhere near opaque.

Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: October 18, 2010 10:52AM

"Pebeo Vitrail" product as suggested by Nuno, is available at Michaels if you are intrested in trying it.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: October 18, 2010 05:36PM

Thanks Charles and Nuno. I am gonna give it a try.

Kevin

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 18, 2010 09:35PM

Gents,

the paint he used was Testors Candy Green, Candy Grape, Candy Red and several other colors. They are transparent paints that look great and seem to be holding up just fine. The do however take a few days to fully cure, so just be aware of that.

Tight lines,

John Hernandez

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster