I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

sanding EVA
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 15, 2010 08:10PM

The rear EVA grip does not set even against the winding check, could I sand the EVA down to fit even with teh winding check?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sanding EVA
Posted by: Peter Sprague (69.162.116.---)
Date: October 15, 2010 08:22PM

Why would you have the REAR EVA grip setting against a winding check?? Its the front EVA grip that has a winding check on it.

Date: October 15, 2010 08:47PM

I think its the trim ring between the reel seat and the eva grip.lol! does that sound like it could be it? lol! thats the best i can expain.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 15, 2010 08:53PM

I will assume you're talking about a check used on the ends of EVA sections in a split grip or the trim ring on the back of the reel seat. At any rate, I understand you need to square up the grip face.

Sanding the face of EVA to a square face is hard because the foam will tend to just move away from the sandpaper. Here's a better method - set the rod spinning in the lathe and use a section of taut D thread to slice the end of the EVA grip flush. Just press the taut thread down into the EVA and slice off a sliver from the end. That will give you a flat surface to seat the check or seat against. You can round over the edges of the EVA lightly with some medium grit sandpaper if you wish.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 15, 2010 08:56PM

Lorenzo -
I don't know of any reel seat that comes with a trim ring. Was this part of a "kit" or an add-on piece that you inserted between the rear grip and the reel seat? I suppose it really doesn't matter because you can sand down the EVA and shape it to any size you'd like ... because it's what looks good to you (or a customer) that counts. If flattening the face of the EVA is what you were referring to then Tom's method is the best way to accomplish that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2010 08:59PM by Ken Preston.

Date: October 15, 2010 09:02PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I got some D thread, I'll give it a try.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.112.40.69.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 15, 2010 10:49PM

The thread works great, cuts through the EVA like butter. Just be careful and don't wrap it around your fingers. I've heard horror stories about what happens if you do that and the thread gets caught on something. I just hold it between my thumb and index finger, so it will slip out if it gets caught.

Posted by: Bill Marchisella (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 16, 2010 01:27PM

I would say that if you want a more accurate cut and reduce the danger of using thread to cut eva, try to make the tool that was featured in the last issue of Rodmaker. It also cuts cork and trims blanks.

Posted by: Ferdi Goldschagg (41.177.101.---)
Date: October 17, 2010 01:50AM

Bill Marchisella Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would say that if you want a more accurate cut
> and reduce the danger of using thread to cut eva,
> try to make the tool that was featured in the last
> issue of Rodmaker. It also cuts cork and trims
> blanks.

Bill I cant get RodMaker in my country.....so does anyone have a pic of this tool.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 17, 2010 09:57AM

Lorenzo,
Another thing you could try. If you use this method, be sure to practice a bit on a piece of scrap EVA to get the method done before doing it on the final grip.

Mount the piece of EVA grip on a manderal in a lathe.

Then, just take a common serrated knife or the infamous Kinsu knives that have been sold around the world for about $3 each. This is just an inexpensive plastic handled 12 inch kitchen knife that uses a multiple serrated, sharp cut on the cutting edge of the knife. Or just a common serrated knife will work fine.

--------------
Although the D thread will work just fine, there is one potential issue with this method. When you use the thread to cut through the material down to the manderal, you are essentially cutting at 90 degrees to the blank. i.e. the cut is perpendicular to the end of the blank. Many folks think that this gives the rod the perfect look. The answer is - it depends. The one issue with this method is that sometimes you end up with a slight outward bulge on the inner part of the cut. If there is this slight outer bulge on the inner part of the cut, a builder ends up with a trim piece that can't fit tightly against the end of the grip.

Here is where the method of using the serrated knife comes in.

-------------------
To execute the serrated knife method to cut the grip, Bring the lathe up to speed with the EVA on the madral. Then, holding the serrate knife at a slight angle -- i..e. the cutting edge of the knife should be pointing back down toward the end of the eva that is not being cut. The idea of holding the knife at this slight inward cutting angle is to insure that the outer edge of the grip is just a touch longer than the inner edge of the grip. Then, when the handle and pieces are clamped together in the final assembly, the builder will be sure that there are perfectly sharp edges on each of the pieces that are visible to the user.
When you hold the knife, be sure that the knife is being held so that if the knife catches for any reason, the knife will be pushed out of the handle without flying across the room. i.e. you want the knife to be going into the eva on the direction away from rotation of the handle. That way, if the knife happens to stick, the lathe just pops the knife out of the grip with no damage done. If the knife is pressed into the grip towards rotation, the knife if caught, could be tossed back into the face of the person holding the knife.

Summary -
To make the cut on the end of the eva, just hold a serrated knife against the EVA at a slight inward angle to give a very slight inward taper of the grip from the outer edge to the center of the grip. This allows the compressed and glued up grip to have a very fine tight outer surface with virtually no glue line. Hold the knife against the EVA on the side away from lathe rotation to prevent a possible sticking knife avoiding operator injury.

Take care
Roger

p.s.
Practice a bit on scrap handle material to be sure that you have mastered the method to avoid causing damage to a handle under construction.

Posted by: Bill Marchisella (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 17, 2010 04:31PM

In response to Ferdi that he would like to see some photos of the tool, I will post them in the 'photos' section.
If there are any questions, I'll be glad to answer them. Email me at billsreelworld@aol.com.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 18, 2010 11:12AM

Check out ahome depot. I think I saw one of those handles there.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster