I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Anybody used these?
Posted by: Rodney Unruh (---.rva.org)
Date: September 22, 2010 01:47AM

Hey Guys,

I am planning on building some rods for my kids. The oldest is just about 7 and the youngest won't be fishing for some time, but I just wanted to do them all at once.

Has anyone used these blanks? [www.jannsnetcraft.com]

I am hoping to make these a multi-purpose rod buy doing a reel seat similar to the fellow over on the worried shrimp website. Can I use this rod for a spinning rod as well as a first flyrod? I can see these rods getting used with closed face spinning reels, open face spinning reel and (hopefully) a cheap fly reel. Am I asking to much from this one rod?

My main goal is not so much being cheap as it is building a personalized rod for my kids that they can not break so easily.

Rodney Unruh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anybody used these?
Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: September 22, 2010 07:21AM

I've never used them, but I will say that I think you'd want a different blank for fly fishing. 8 feet would be the minimum length I'd use for a general purpose fly rod. Anything shorter, and a new fly caster is going to have difficulty generating the necessary line speed to aerialize the fly line. Also, fly rods usually have slower actions than spinning and casting rods.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 22, 2010 07:43AM

I think you'd be happier with one of these from Batson Enterprises
Features:
• RX6 standard modulus (33 million) high strain rate graphite • Beginner friendly moderate–fast actions

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 22, 2010 09:16AM

Rodney,
I think that these are a great choice rods for children. About the right length for them to handle and pretty tough.

But, having said that - it is likely in your best interest to not to try to make them so general purpose. I personally think you would be better off to build them up with conventional spinning reel seats, and when it comes time to go fishing work with them to learn the basics of using an open face spinning reel.

Many years ago, when the children were small I took the last closed face spinning reel that was acting up and threw it away. At that time I vowed to never have another closed face spinning reel in my boat and I have kept the vow. If there is any issue with anyone not being able to cast in the boat, I will devote 100% of my time to that person - no matter the size or age - until that person is successful in casting.
For virtually anyone that is physically capable - the use of an open face spinning reel comes very quickly. Once this is mastered, the rest of the parts of fishing comes easily and is enjoyable for the person being taught.

If you want to go the fly rod route, as one of the other posters suggested, get an inexpensive fly blank and build that up for the children as well.

Multip purpose are fine, but many times in the interest of being universal, the item turns into something that is really not very good for anything.

Take care
Roger

p.s.

If you want a rod and reel for the children, you can go over to one of the box stores and typically pick up a 5 foot spinning rod and reel for something in the $5 range. These are typically glass rods that are next to indestrucible and a 50 cent reel that can actually work for a few outings.

Date: September 22, 2010 11:53AM

Thanks for the input. I was wondering if I was going too universal, but was hoping to pull it off.

The box store is not really an option as I am in Kenya. Whatever route I go, I will have to have relatives ship everything out to me. Also, my 7 year old is starting to wonder when Daddy is going to build a rod for her and take her fishing... I really can't pass up an opportunity like that.

There are limited opportunities for spin fishing anywhere near me and the vast majority of the fishing here is stream fishing for trout. Thanks to the British influence, it is "fly only." I am hesitant to build up a kids fly rod and would rather start them off on a spinning rod. There is also the fact that my 7 year old is not coordinated in the least...

One of my biggest hang ups is that most of the places that I can fish (and all of the ones less than a 6 hour drive) are fairly technical and difficult. Since I don't have a normal home stream or patch of water that I can easily take the kids, it makes it more difficult to plan out the rod that would be best.

Anyways, I am typing out loud as I think this through. I am open to more ideas and options.

Rodney

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 22, 2010 12:18PM

Rodney,
I have helped a lot of kids fly fish and I don't start them with fly rods.
Rather I set them up with spinning rods, and casting bubbles with a fly on the end of the line.

We catch lots and lots of fish that way.

Just because you want to fish with a fly, does not mean that you need a fly rod to fish a fly with.

As a matter of fact, you can take a spinning rod and a heavy casting bubble and can easily flip a fly out several times further than the very best fly casting rod.

Take care
Roger

Date: September 22, 2010 12:21PM

What a great way to build coordination. Since you don't have much spin fishing ( "fly only" ) I'd just go ahead and build the fly rod. At the cost for the RX6 blanks you could buy two and have an extra tip "just in case". The shipping will likely cost you the same for 1, 3 or more rod blanks.

Date: September 22, 2010 03:52PM

Roger and Ken,
You two are pretty much summing up the debate I am having with myself. When you two sort it out, let me know and tell me what to do!

Ken, I have been half leaning towards what you are saying and that is probably what I'll do. I'll still build them fly rods, just not now.

Thanks for the input and helping to clarify things in my mind. If you ever find yourself on this side of the world, make sure to look me up and I'll show my favorite spots.

Rodney

Date: September 22, 2010 03:59PM

The "thing" is you COULD use those blanks to build a decent spinning rod. They're more durable than the higher modulus rods - albeit a little "slower". Once you have the blanks you can decide what to do with them. The blanks don't really care what type of rod they are turned into. Another good choice would be the MUDHOLE MHX blanks. Very reasonable cost for a nice blank. Roger's idea of a spinning rod with a clear plastic float with a fly behind it is a good one - A little better chance of seeing the fish pick up the fly (watching the bobber). It's always better for kids to hook fish than start out frustrated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2010 04:03PM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: September 23, 2010 03:36AM

I agree that ditching the spincasters is a good start. Kids should be able to get used to a regular spinner..........it does not get any easier. kids learn REAL fast as long as you let them experiment and try ON THIER OWN. just have a little patience when getting out tangles every once in a while. My six year old now surf fishes with my old rig; 9' 8-14lb micro guided conventional surf rod with a calcutta 200. After cutting out five or six BAD backlashes and going through three spools of affordable line, he is now a great caster. Few backlashes and he manages to correct them on his own. The key was giving him enough line to ........tangle himself....... so to speak.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 23, 2010 04:37AM

I agree with the other guys that kids learn real fast. I have 3 nephews between the ages of 9 and 12, and this year they started with fly rods. I built all three of them a 7-6 5wt on a Batson RX-6 Blank. I put 6 wt WF lines on the rods and all 3 of them got the basic's of casting and catching fish their first time out (took all three separately). Kids are like sponges and they learned a lot faster than most of all the first time adult clients that I take out fishing. I fished the rods myself and they do cast great for such an inexpensive blank. Sure, they are gona get some wind knots and tangle the line up but they will get the hang of it and a lot faster if they are catching fish. I don't do any spin fishing so I cannot chime in on a decent blank for that set up.

Posted by: Rodney Unruh (---.safaricombusiness.co.ke)
Date: September 23, 2010 04:00PM

Good options all. Thanks so much for your input and comments on your experience teaching young kids to fish. I am getting into a new part of parenting here...

Rodney

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster