I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to deal with fly inlays
Posted by: Andrew Metzger (199.117.182.---)
Date: September 22, 2010 06:50AM

Set the rods to dry overnight and woke this morning to this....

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

So how do you fix that? Cut them out neatly and use more finish? This was the second coat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to deal with fly inlays
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 22, 2010 08:15AM

Join the exclusive club -

Locate proper medication -

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Smile

Raise the price of the rod and take it fishing!

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: September 22, 2010 08:26AM

Great advice Bill, I just sent an email to the customer telling him that one of the rods is going up in price.....LOL. Love the tool, too bad I was sleeping and not babysitting those rods.

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: September 23, 2010 03:23AM

I concur, encapsulate them and lie lie lie and lie some more. They are thread, really they are. its the new 3D weave.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse2.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 23, 2010 07:34AM

I'd slap a patent on that before someone tries to copy it!!!! Had that happen to me once. It's a real PITA. When I told the guy his rod would be a couple of days longer and why he said to leave it there. Couldn't do that. Lucky it was a small moth and I was able to slice it out with a razor blade and put on another coat of finish which fortunately fixed it. Your critters are somewhat larger and it's going to take some deft slicing to get rid of them. Good luck.
ESFNEM Col

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: September 23, 2010 09:20AM

I cut them both out and put yet another layer over that spot. I also had a flyrod to put another coat on last night and the buggers got into it as well, but they just left finish footprints where they were not supposed to be, they look like splattered finish.....I'll chalk those footprints up to fly rod mojo since the flies didn't get stuck to the rod, or my kitchen table. Had a half coated fly laying on the table, somehow he landed finish side up, sort of like when you drop a piece of jelly bread off the counter and you get lucky enough for it to land jelly side up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster