I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Five weight distance casting Fly Blank
Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: September 21, 2010 01:57AM

Hi Eugene,

Unfortunately I am in Australia, so I can't have them specially coated at Blazers.

Thanks for the guide spacing, I will try them once I settle on a blank.

The problem with the TCR is the cost, and even second hand in Australia, they are not cheap.

Thanks again,

Richard

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 21, 2010 08:09AM

Richard,

I would think you'd want to experiment a bit by taping some guide sets on and trying them. That way you'll know for sure which one will perform best for you. You can use a #12 or 16 stripper followed the rest of the way out by the smallest and lightest guides that will still easily pass the line. The smaller you go the less weight you'll have on the rod and the more efficient the rod will be. I can't tell you what size that will be, but it might well be smaller than the #3's you mention. Try that set but try a set of #2's as well. Wire guides cost very little and the ring or coating hardness has next to nothing to do with casting distance - there is very little friction present between the line and the guides when casting.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (96.47.201.---)
Date: September 21, 2010 01:54PM

Richard,
If you can't obtain a TCR look for a 5 weight with as much taper as possible that you can afford.
Small tip, large butt, light weight. The more searching you can do the more likely you are to find a strong "5"
Use my previous post as a guide and make your best guess within budget.
St Croix may have something close or the old G Loomis blanks.

Here's a link to a PVD coating supplier
[www.suttontools.com.au]

Eugene Moore

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 21, 2010 02:06PM

Maybe the North Fork Fly blanks they just came out with ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Peter Sprague (69.162.116.---)
Date: September 21, 2010 04:11PM

Make sure to try a line tamer guide about three to four inches past the stripping guide. Make it the same size as your normal second guide and just add in there at that distance. Sometimes this makes a BIG difference in casting quality and distance. If you do not like it, just remove it because the rest of your guide spacing would standard anyway.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (69.162.116.---)
Date: September 21, 2010 04:11PM

Make sure to try a line tamer guide about three to four inches past the stripping guide. Make it the same size as your normal second guide and just add in there at that distance. Sometimes this makes a BIG difference in casting quality and distance. If you do not like it, just remove it because the rest of your guide spacing would be standard anyway.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: September 21, 2010 04:29PM

HEY GUYS THERE HAS BEEN A LOT OF GREAT INFO> SHARED HERE. BUT KNOW ADDRESSED THE REGULATIONS. DID ANYONE READ THE POSTS SITES I SENT??

Good Wraps Bob

Date: September 21, 2010 05:18PM

ON the American Casting Assoc. site Gray loomis states tournament rods are not designed for fishing. So all this good ifo. were are presenting is worthless. Golly I wish you guys would do some research or have personal knowledge before suggesting any thing. What was suggested is great for a rod used for fishing. These suggestions if used could be embarrassing and could lead to a disqualification. Also my info only has to do with the American Casting Assoc. This man is a Auzzi
Good Wraps Bob

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2010 06:44PM

This is why casting competitions should be done with one rod and line only. It puts everyone in the same playing field. A Sage TCR #5 is more like alot of other manufacturers 6 or 7 weights. Already an advantage there.

Since you are in Australia, I'd recommend using your New Zealand Neighbor's CTS Affinity X. I've CC'ed their 9' 4wt. 4 pc. to about 5.35 ERN/75 AA. If their designated 5 wt. follows suit, it would likely ERN at over 6.0 with a high AA (over 72). I can almost effortlessly cast my CTS 4wt. using WF-4F SA Air Cell Supreme w/ 70ft. of line aerialized (far more than I need in most fishing conditions). Incidentally, I'm using Pac Bay Minimas throughout - as they are VERY lightweight and allow for a higher finished rod frequency.

Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: September 21, 2010 09:05PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks again for the extra info.

The rules in Australia are a little flexible, and state that as long as the rod or blank is labeled a #5 by the manufacturer, then it fits with in the catergory.

I hope that this is not correct, as most of the competitors are using this rod " A Sage TCR #5 is more like alot of other manufacturers 6 or 7 weights. Already an advantage there".

Tom, I will try a 16 and 12 (or should I only have one or the other), then SF 2 (or 3) all the way . Is there a problem in loosing 1 guide to save weight?

Eugene, The closest blank I have found to meet those specs and price point is the TFO Axiom .38 and 4 tip. Unfortunately it is 2.15 oz, so if I go with this, I will try to save weight elsewhere. I looked at the St Croix, but the better blanks are too high priced. And thanks for the link, I will contact them.

Once again thanks all,

Richard

Date: September 22, 2010 07:29AM

Richard,

The problem is, there is no such thing as a "5-weight" rod other than whatever number the manufacturer chooses to stick on the side of the rod. So yes, there is already an advantage for those manufacturers who list a more powerful rod as a "5-weight." Remember, any rod will cast any line - at some distance.

If the competition organizers truly wanted a level playing field, they would specify that all rods possess the same amount of a power. But, I understand you have to work within the rules as they exist.

What you're going to have to do now is try some different guide set ups and see which works best for you. The difference between a good guide set up and a great set up will result in a few feet of difference. I would use a high frame 16, followed by a high frame 8 and then move right on to the SF 2's (or whatever is the smallest that will work for you) the rest of the way out.

The single biggest factor in the distance your outfit is able to achieve, however, is how well your casting input and line will load the rod you select. That match-up is the most important factor.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.250.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2010 10:19AM

I'm surprised no one has specified micros. Are they banned from fly casting distance competition?

Date: September 22, 2010 10:24AM

I already did, I guess. I said to use the smallest guides that would still pass his line easily.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.219.214.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: September 22, 2010 05:44PM

Richard,
That's quite a heavy 5 weight. The Sage Z-Axis 2-piece is only 1-3/8 ounce.
If you have a Cabela's. They list 3 rods that are lighter and won't break the bank.
905-2 PT+ ; 905-2 Traditional II ; F905 IM7
More connections mean additional weight and increased energy lost. You probably won't be able to make up that much weight in the guide train and the tip connection is a real "killer"
A 3mm micro guide I recently weighed was twice the weight of my normal titanium guides with an ID less than half as large. Possible but why ??

Eugene Moore

Date: September 22, 2010 06:15PM

Following on what Eugene just mentioned, ceramics won't get you any additional distance. There is very little friction between the line and the guides while casting. Hard Chrome or similar will cast just as far. The intent should be to reduce weight as much as possible.

Date: September 22, 2010 10:51PM

More info from competition caster.....for Bob,

I will give to a two part answer for your questions.

1) First for the 5 weight event -- The original intent to start this event and bring the game to those in the casting world was to use a rod already made and available off the shelf at a local sporting goods store. The competition or event would start at an equal playing field for the use of the equipment, fly rod, line, leaders, etc. The use of specially made rods and lines was never the intent of the event.

2) Part two --- in general about 50% of the casters that I know in the American Casting Association will chose to use the ready made rods available in the local sporting goods store for the 6 accuracy events that we ( as the ACA ) have available to cast and to participate in competitions. The other 50% will chose to use blanks from GLoomis. These blanks from GLoomis are tournament blanks and specially designed and made for the casting the twelve events, six accuracy and six distance. One word of caution will be -- these tournament blanks are not made for fishing purposes only tournament casting. The wall thickness is about 80% or so less than would the wall thickness of the rod being used for fishing. Distance events are slightly different, because it may be difficult to find the correct blank or rod in a sporting goods store to use in each of the six distance events.

Do not use tournament rods for fishing, they will break.

Hopefully, this will answer your questions. I will be glad to answer other questions.

Thanks, Dale Lanser

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.250.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 23, 2010 09:19AM

If you were to use a store-bought rod for distance casting three of the top choices would be the Sage Xi3, the Shimano Cross Current, and the St. Croix Legend Elite. Each of these rods comes equipped with standard or oversized snake guides and tip tops. Of course they are designed for catching fish as well as casting.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster