I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

working time Carson CP
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2010 04:25PM

If I am putting Carson CP on after a wap then wraping next guide and so on down the rod, and putting CP one at a time, How long will the CP be workable s say in a shot glass and brush?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: working time Carson CP
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 19, 2010 04:36PM

I myself have never heard of any one having a problem when coating guides with any of the CP.s or butt wraps

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.62.---)
Date: September 19, 2010 04:57PM

You have till the end of time when working any CP. It is a liquid that evaporates, I coat my threads and wait a couple hours for a re-coat Some builder wait a shorter time others wait longer. If you see a little scum on top it is starting to set up. Carson has 2 types of CP with one are you using? That would also make a difference. But In a shot glass with a little Kentucky Whiskey (preferable White Lighting, it well be good till you drink it all):))LOL.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2010 05:03PM

Hallelujah!! I don't use shot glasses for alcohol anymore, I just use them for rod building.been 25 months since my last drink!

Date: September 19, 2010 05:14PM

CONGRATULATIONS !!!! When I was young I partied a lot at the age of 30 I stopped. I am now 68. I wish I could stop smoking as easily. When I do then I could afford more rod toys

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2010 06:42PM

No worries with the water based Cason's Crystal Clear color preserver sitting in an open container except something getting into the container and then on your wraps besides the CP. You won't have much of a problem with the solvent based product either unless it sits out quite a while. Evaporation will cause both products to thicken but it takes far longer for the water to evaporate than the solvent.

Lorenzo,
I would caution you not to follow the procedure of applying CP to your completed wrap then moving on to the next wrap & so on. Get all of your wraps done first then double check them all for gaps & such then apply your CP to all of the wraps at once. This has nothing to do with any CP product you may use. It has everything to do with habit & consistent good results in your builds. To many ways to have issues with one thing or another by doing it the way you describe IMHO.

It's also CASON'S not Carson's.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: September 20, 2010 09:40AM

You want to wrap the guides, then align them, then check for gaps, then CP.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 11:47AM

Bob

At 30 ?? I am well beyond that Should I stop -- Naaa Ya only live once

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 20, 2010 05:50PM

That is why I started on a drug that you can not get off of no matter how many time you stop. That drug is ROD BUILDING and SHARING :)) LOL

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2010 10:21AM

Chuck has it right.
If you wrap a guide and apply CP you are effectivly fixing the guide to the rod in that spot and with that orientaion.

You really need to wrap all of the guides, align all of the guides, check for wrap gaps and tighten if necessary - before apply CP and finish.

CP really does have a gluing effect on the guide. You don't want to try to rotate or tighten a wrap after applying CP,.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster