I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Five weight distance casting Fly Blank
Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: September 20, 2010 05:23AM

Hi All,

I am looking to build a #5 fly rod for distance casting competitions, and need some blank recommendations.

The TFO Axiom is currently the only blank I have considered, so I am looking for suggestions similar to the price point of the Axiom, with a similar action. This is a very stiff rod, and anything softer than this, I don't feel will cut it, especially when trying to false cast 70-90ft of fly line.

Many in this arena use Sage TCR and TCX rods, matched with SA MED or XXD fly lines, but the price point is too high.

I am looking to use a Barrio GT140 fly line (120 grains head - 140ft total fly line).

Also, what guides would be better, wire or casting?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Five weight distance casting Fly Blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 20, 2010 07:05AM

You want more power (to a point) which means a higher ERN. You'd also want the lightest guides possible so that most of your imparted energy goes into casting the line, not starting and stopping the rod. The guide surface really hasn't much to do with distance. Ceramics won't necessarily help you cast further. Go as small and light as practical.

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 09:31AM

My personal option would be to underline a mudhole MHX 6 or 7wt. I have built so far a 5wt and and 8wt. The 5wt had an ERN of around 5.75 and AA of 72 and is the best distance 5wt rod I currently own. Very powerful, but I'm usually only carrying 65 or 75 feet of line. Any more and it seems to shut down a bit with the line im using (I can't remember what line it is, but it is NOT a distance line). I have side by side tested the MHX 8wt (ERN 8.65) with a SAGE TCX, and its every bit as powereful. I can shoot a triangle taper wulff 100+ feet every time with no effort at all. It crushes my TFO Pro, RF II, RX7 and model SLI from cabelas. Not even close. On top of it, they are so smooth I don't blow many casts at all.

Some (that I trust on various forums) say the faster dancraft blanks are connons too, although I have not tried one yet.

Larry

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: September 20, 2010 09:48AM

I'd go with a BATSON IF1005, it's a 10' rod, but it can sling line very quickly.

Posted by: Bill Hanneman (207.188.148.---)
Date: September 20, 2010 02:39PM

Remember, this is only a game devised to sell "production rods" of recognized manufacturers.

There is no such thing as a #5 or 5-wt. rod except one on which the manufaturer has written the number 5.. This number has no relationship to any physical property of the rod, only the line the designer recommends be used, and that depends on how far you want to throw it.

If you want to compete, you will need a rod with at least an ERN value of 7 and the number 5 printed on it.

If you build your own rod from a blank, you may be disqualified befory you begin because it doesn't have a ""legitimate 5" on it.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.62.---)
Date: September 20, 2010 02:45PM

Not being a professional distance caster to me I think you should ask a pro like Joan Wolff. She holds many world records. I think she lives in MI. Also call Todd Vivian at MH

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.250.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 20, 2010 03:54PM

I suspect as one gets further into competition fly casting the equipment becomes more specialized - and more expensive. Richard, it sounds like you are just getting into distance casting, which I understand has more than one category.
If you are planning to cast full lines rather than shooting heads I would second Larry's recommendation of a Mudhole MHX blank. I recently built on a blank labeled for six weight lines and I am very impressed by the rod's performance, and its price makes me smile.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 04:06PM

Bill

I was at a fishing show some years ago and remember the casting contest there. I talked to several of the casters and they were saying that a multi piece rod blank ( the more the better ) also helped because it was stiffer then a 2 or so piece rod I would think that because the ferules made the blank a lot stiffer and needed more line to load it . More line more distance

So like she said - stiffer is better LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 20, 2010 05:32PM

Like I mentioned earlier, Tournament distance casting is a whole lot of differnt than standard double haul casting to find a fish. These rods are not designed to fight fish. So like I mentioned find a expert first Anyone disagree with my statement please chime in and correct me. Do a search on regulation for T. Casting and what equipment is recommended

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.216.57.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 05:48PM

Rod length 9'
Material gen 3 graphite action fast
Rod butt dia approx .360 - .380
Tip dia approx 3.5 - 4.0
Weight less than 2 ounces Target 1.8 ounces
1 or 2 piece to reduce weight and increase efficiency.
Tip top titanium wire large loop
8 guides
Top 3 guides lite wire titanium single foot #3
next 3 guides hard chrome snakes #4
Dual stripper guides #12 and #16

Eugene Moore

Date: September 20, 2010 05:53PM

Eugene does this rod meet Tournament casting regulation

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 06:00PM

According to the Victors Scale the Hard Chrome is - supposed to be harder then any other coating ???

Which i would think would let line slide faster ????

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 20, 2010 06:18PM

You only need, and on this type rod, only want about 2 guide sizes. That gives you the straightest line path instead of the "stair step" path created by 3, 4 or more sizes. Using a ton of different sizes is done for the human eye, not the line.

The main consideration will be that the length of line you need to aerialize will neither under-load nor overload the rod.

Remember, however, you can have too much stiffness or power. Simply moving up the power range further and further does not ensure you of a winner. There will be a sweet spot for your line and amount aerialized that will provide optimum results. The rest is then up to you.

Date: September 20, 2010 08:10PM

We have not addressed the original question. The man wants to build a competition long casting rod. To do this the rod has to meet certain standards. What they are I have know idea., but with all the great suggestion that have been posted is only prevalent to standard rods

Good Wraps Bob

Date: September 20, 2010 08:19PM

Check this site out it may answer some basic questions. [www.flyfishohio.com]

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 08:27PM

One of the fly casting competitions I observed they did the following: they handed you a line and said 'this is your competition line, you will only use this to compete in your class.

My thought was that this really leveled the field, some objected and others chose not to compete. Interesting concept!

Date: September 20, 2010 08:44PM

Check out the 5wt rule site by the ACA [www.americancastingassoc.org]

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.220.158.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: September 20, 2010 10:45PM

A titanium wire guide with a PVD titanium nitride coating is 60% the weight of a like sized steel guide with a Vickers hardness almost twice that of hard chrome.
The PVD titanium nitride coating is the same as used on cutting tools to increase wear resistance and is compatible with many base materials including titanium.
Higher hardness with less weight.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: September 21, 2010 12:01AM

Thanks for the feedback.

I am actually in Australia, and this event is fairly new here. Many tournaments worldwide actually supply the rod and line so that everyone is equal.

The #5 distance tournaments can only be competed with a #5 weight rod, as per manufacturers specs, so any other rod that does not fit in won't be accepted for this particular event.

Who makes titanium wire guides with pvd nitrate coating.

Am I best to use a 12 or 16 stripper, then followed by 8 x 3 SF guides?

The MHX #5 was my first consideration, but one of the local casters feels that it might not be powerful enough to hold the 70-90 ft of line - he is still testing it.

Thanks again,

Richard

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.221.151.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: September 21, 2010 12:34AM

Richard,
See if you can find a discontinued Sage TCR 9' 5 weight.
Probably the stoutest 5 weight I've ever cast. Felt more like a 7 weight. New or used.
The PVD coated titanium guides are not made by anyone I'm aware of.
Mine are mail-order and plated courtesy of a tool plating house in Detroit.
Look for a plating company name of Balzer's. The guides are available and the plating process may take a week depending on his plating tank schedule. The coating you're looking for is the "gold" coating used for cutting tools. Explain to him the material is titanium. His price should be reasonable or for a few "pints" free. You will have to stone the feet to prep the guides as they are more than file hard.
I'd set -up the guides the way I've proposed or you may opt for a different path you're the builder.
Guide spacing as follows (inches from tip)
4.8 10.5 17.4 25.5 35.1 46.5 60.2 76.4 or
5.3 11.4 18.6 26.9 36.6 47.9 61.1 76.4

Test cast both

The rod will feel even faster with the weight reduction at the tip.
Bring your best fastball pitching arm. You'll need it.

Eugene Moore

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster