I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Quality Inexpensive Blanks
Posted by: Thomas Wilson (---.dr04.ekgv.ca.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 06, 2010 11:12PM

I've heard of Tiger Eye, Forecast, and Tradition blanks Fly Rod Blanks. Are there other Fly Rod Blanks that are decent quality inexpensive blanks I should no about. I am building on a very nice blank right now, but I want to get a lot of practice building in hope that I can get good enough to eventually begin a custom fly rod building business without braking the bank.

Tom

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2010 11:23PM by Thomas Wilson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Quality Inexpensive Blanks
Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: September 06, 2010 11:16PM

Check out Mudhole
[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: September 06, 2010 11:22PM

Rainshadow,castaway,Mudholes MHX line and their CRB house blanks are all quality inexpensive blanks.Swampland has Rainshadow and Castaway plus all the parts and Mudhole has all their stuff plus parts.Many of the s[ponsors to the left have a wide range of blanks also that Im not as familiar with as these.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: September 06, 2010 11:45PM

Here's some blanks of interest ... [www.angelfire.com]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 07, 2010 07:45AM

CUI offers similar value priced blanks. Many of the sponsors have their own house brands as well.

Posted by: Ben Claxton (---.sip.tys.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 07, 2010 08:18AM

I like the American Tackle Classic series blanks. I also just built a rod on Mudholes CRB line (IS601M) and it is a nice blank for the $$$.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: September 07, 2010 12:02PM

Hey guys, he said "fly rod blanks". I know that a blank doesn't know what it's intended use is, but even fast action fly rod blanks are slower than many moderate action spin/cast blanks. Also, there are more multi-piece offerings as well as the longer lengths that are typically associated with blanks designated as fly rod blanks. Rainshadow offers some fairly inexpensive fly blanks, as well as Mudhole's MHX series. The only problem I've found with the MHX blank that I've tried is with the finish. It is somewhat like the St. Croix finishes in that you cannot use any strong solvent (or even denatured alcohol) as it will strip the finish off far too easily.

When you're ready to upgrade to a better level of quality, consider giving CTS and Dan Craft a try. They are AT LEAST as good (and considerably less expensive) as the big name fly rod manufacturers like Sage, Winston, Thomas & Thomas, etc.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: September 07, 2010 12:35PM

Torin -

BTW, the blanks that I put a link to are fly blanks. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will find 4, 5 and 6 weight models. The prices are pretty sporty IMO.

Jim -

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: September 07, 2010 01:32PM

Thanks Jim, I might have to try one of those out. How did you find the finish (if there is any) to hold up? Regardless, the price is right (especially for my cheap friends).

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: September 07, 2010 01:46PM

I'm surprised nobody mentioned what I consider to be one of the best deals around. Before I spill my guts you have to promise I get first crack at anything 7 weight and over.....LOL! Too bad you just missed their special.

[www.utmostenterprises.com]

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 07, 2010 02:05PM

Russ

I take it these are a mod - or med - fast blank ?

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Thomas Wilson (134.187.160.---)
Date: September 07, 2010 02:52PM

Thanks for all the replies I really appreciate it.

Has anyone here ever dealt with or have any familliarity with the following guy on that big super well known @#$%& site ro6231. He is selling 10' 3wt & 4wt blanks.

Tom Wilson
"If fishing is like religion, then fly-fishing is high church." ~Tom Brokaw~

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: September 07, 2010 03:22PM

Bill, I'm not a fly rod guy. I used one a bit many years ago when I lived in Tenn. for a few years but that is about it. So keeping that in mind.....I bought one 12 weight from utmost. Compared to a regular rod I'd call it moderate. For a fly rod I'd call it med-fast to fast. But I think it was a "higher" line than the ones normally listed. They called it 66 million modulus.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 07, 2010 03:49PM

Only thing I can say about this seller is that the blanks are a pretty color - I've never dealt with him.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 07, 2010 06:28PM

Be careful You may just get what you pay for

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Thomas Wilson (134.187.160.---)
Date: September 07, 2010 06:30PM

Ken Preston Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Only thing I can say about this seller is that the
> blanks are a pretty color - I've never dealt with
> him.

Thanks Ken that was very helpfull...

Tom Wilson
"If fishing is like religion, then fly-fishing is high church." ~Tom Brokaw~

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 07, 2010 07:12PM

I don't know him and for all I know he may sell a great product, however... there are numerous sponsors to the left that can fill any need, at any price point you require and you'll know exactly what you're getting. There can't be much reason to go elsewhere.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: September 08, 2010 12:51AM

I bought a 10' three piece 4 wt from the guy on the @#$%& site to check out his blank. I CCS'ed it and I think its ERN is about 6 to 6.5 if I recall, medium fast and could be a good rod for high sticking or float tubing if I ever build it, but it is no four weight.

Greg

Posted by: John Pope (205.171.62.---)
Date: September 08, 2010 11:18AM

Thomas Wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for all the replies I really appreciate it.
>
>
> Has anyone here ever dealt with or have any
> familliarity with the following guy on that big
> super well known @#$%& site ro6231. He is
> selling 10' 3wt & 4wt blanks.

I got one of his 10' 8 wt. rods. The finish was very nice and had a good fit and feel. I also just got 8 blanks from utmost enterprises. They were wonderful to deal with and the price was amazing. They had my blanks and components to me faster than most places can even fill an order. And that is shipping all the way across the country.

Posted by: David Spence (204.152.2.---)
Date: September 08, 2010 11:41AM

You need to come to the Expo next February-better prices and bargains than any @#$%& site or any other source. Plus you'll be supporting this board's sponsors as they offer most all the bargain blanks. There are literally thousands of blanks for $10.00 dollars or less. Show up Sunday toward the end of the show and you might well get them for less. I don't recollect the exact amount but I came home with 40-50 blanks for less than $300.00. Each blank cost me about half the price of shipping it. I can build on these blanks and charge $200.00 per finished rod. As you can see, my net profit on each of these is about $170.00. The show has similar incredible prices on components also. The ability to stock up on blanks and components for several years; to deduct your expenses, (assuming you qualify); to see the newest "bells and whistles; to see the best rod building work in the world and talk one- on-one to builders and suppliers- all for a ridiculously low ticket price simply can't be beaten. I don't know a single person who has attended the Expo and found it to be the ultimate rod building experience. Click the Expo link on the sidebar for information and be sure to hit the link for "Comments" to get an idea of how good this event is.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster