I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Old subject on cork dyeing
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 31, 2010 03:20PM

Has anyone used a Alkaline type dye or dyes used in Luthier projects

Good Wraps Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old subject on cork dyeing
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 31, 2010 04:57PM

I've never found anything that will dye cork evenly and deeply. It has always come out 'blotchy" and just a slight sanding deep.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2010 05:41PM

i don't believe it is the type of dye that is the problem. it is the cork itself. the only thing that might work is to use a vacuum or pressure to help the dye into the cork. even then i dont think it will penetrate much further than the surface. if you have a pressure pot or vacuum you might try it and let us know the results.
i believe the colored composite corks have the dye added when they make the composite and that is the reason it is colored throughout. if you look at them closeley you can see the dye doesn not penetrate the cork, but is in the strata around the cork pieces.
if you try it let us know your results. i tried to dye some birch bark once and had the same issues, but didn't try to vacuum or pressure.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 31, 2010 05:46PM

With all the playing I have done with cork.

A tint in a thin mixture of finish whipped on the cork will color but not completely cover it.

let dry - then one or two coats of a finish you like

That is about all you can do - with cork But it does look pretty !!

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 31, 2010 08:49PM

Cork is a closed cell material and as such will NOT absorb liquids including dyes whether under pressure or not,!. Any type of liquid remains almost exclusively on the surface

Composite colored cork has the color in the adhesive used to bind the pieces as JP stated above.

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 01, 2010 12:07AM

I've had good success using Minwax exterior stain on composite or burl type cork handles. It doesn't get any deeper but it does hold up very well since the material is tougher.
Although this doesn't answer the original question...

Posted by: rick sodke (94.188.134.---)
Date: September 01, 2010 12:48AM

Bill, won't a thin coat of finish crack or peel over a flexible material like cork??

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 01, 2010 01:11AM

I have tried canning, using almost straight dyes. The results were all the same blotchy surface stain that buffs off. One of these days I will run into something and make a million LOL thanks Guys

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 01, 2010 01:05PM

Rick

I after shaping the cork , clean it well. Then mixing the finish and thinning whip it on even with a paper towel . It does sink in, if even just a little adheres and seals as well With a tint in it it will adhere to the cork.
It will stiffen the cork but is very flexible.

Try it on a scrap piece.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster