I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ATC Fly Blanks Made on Shikari Mandrels
Posted by: Tony Scott (74.116.156.---)
Date: August 31, 2010 06:41PM

Does anyone know anything about some fly blanks that were made by ATC on the Shikari mandrels before ATC went out of business? They are gloss dark dark brown and somewhat thin walled. I am building an 8 weight now and I am guessing it is moderate action.

I got two from Bingham Enterprises and the reports from builders were good, but I am interested to know who has actual experience with these blanks.

Thanks,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ATC Fly Blanks Made on Shikari Mandrels
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 31, 2010 08:09PM

From what I understand from talking to the ATC people when they were still in business, very few of the Shikari designs and mandrels were going to be used in their product line. That said, the ATC blanks I tried were nice but in no way particularly noteworthy. CC the blank and all guess work will disappear as far as the blank characteristics. Very easy to do and no special gear or time needed to get up to speed.

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (199.117.182.---)
Date: August 31, 2010 10:40PM

ATC, not American Tackle Company?

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: September 01, 2010 07:19AM

ATC - Advanced Tubular Composites - Sequim, WA

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: September 01, 2010 12:20PM

I thought he was talking about A.T.C. that bought the Shikari plant in OK. They were out of Wenatche, WA. FishSticks, Bingham, Angler's Workshop and others had their blanks. Angler's still lists them.

Posted by: Tony Scott (74.116.156.---)
Date: September 01, 2010 01:50PM

All -

Thanks for responding.

I just spoke to Jon Britt at Angler's Workshop and he thought these blanks were the ATC3 line of IM7 graphite. They were available in 5,6,8,10,12,and 13 weight.

Still curious to see who has built them and used them.

Thanks,

Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster