I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Jerk bait rod suggestions?
Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: August 31, 2010 10:00AM

I seldom use jerk baits and have been asked to build a rod to meet the following requirements:
6ft 8 to 6ft 10.
Throws a 5/8ths oz to 1 oz jerk bait on conventional all on top micros.
He fishes tip down and hits the water on the retrieve all the time.
10lb floro as the water is very clear.
Bay Springs area/ Pickwick lake.
Big Spotted and smallmouth bass.
Now i have fished with this guy and he needs lots of 'give' in his rod tip as he over works it, almost slashes the bait through the water like he was trying to snag the fish.
It works very well for him.
So maybe a multi- modulus blank ?
I can cut down up to 4 inches if i have to, or add up to 10 with an over sleeve if there is a good 6ft blank that otherwise would do the job.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jerk bait rod suggestions?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 31, 2010 10:04AM

Try this it should help : [rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2010 10:32AM

Lou - You know there is that ole saying "The Customer is always correct", but in this case I would have to disagree with the length of the rod he wants. Since he thrashes the tip of the rod on the water, a shorter rod would actually be better. Maybe he would not hit the water as much and could concentrate more on the technique. A blank that I really like for this type of fishing would be the MB782 MHX for the smalller jerk baits and the MB783 MHX for the larger baits.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Date: August 31, 2010 10:46AM

Bill,thanks I had used the search prior to posting:but all that told me was what i knew already in general .

This is a very specific application, very light line for that heavy (to my mind) weight of lure. Does not synch up with manufacturers suggested lure weight vs line class ranges either. A very soft tip. Overworking the lure and using the rod to compensate for technique.
Hitting the water part of the retrieve means a thinner rod tip i would think.
Maybe a cut down at the butt MHX blend 845 but that may still be a bit too fast and powerful.?

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 31, 2010 10:59AM

I like Bob´s MB783 MHX about as good as any for what the fellow is asking. and I agree, I´d drop to a 6´6' and try and keep that tip OUT of the water.

A Med or MH power popping blank might be a good suggestion as well, cut to fit if needed. That would give you the 'give' you´re asking for and good durability also.

DR

Date: August 31, 2010 11:21AM

Bob thanks for the phone conversation, i will get hold of him and see what he is using now and what/why he wants to change it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2010 01:09PM by Lou Auret.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 31, 2010 11:29AM

Bob is in tune with the music for the Jerk and Twitch!

To really get the water stirred up!

Castaway XP3 784

6'6" Length
Line # 10 - 17
Lure Oz. - 5/16 - 3/4
PWR - Med Hvy

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: August 31, 2010 12:49PM

You may want to look at the St Croix Avid 6'9" MLXF or the 6'8" MXF. The 6'9" may be a little on the light side for 1oz baits but the 6'8" should be able to handle it. I thought at one time St Croix made a 6'2" MXF for this technique, I'm not sure if they still make the blank, but I'm sure that the 6'3" MXF would work well for it.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2010 01:09PM

Hello Mark -- You are correct about those St. Croix models. Those MXF models do work great for what many fisherman would want in a jerk bait rod, but this request is a little different technique.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Date: August 31, 2010 06:26PM

Many will never know the pleasure some get from this business!

If I am lying I am dying!

I did not even get a plastic cup filled with chilled peach lightining!

Bob jerked!

I twitched and swallowed his bait!

I ordered one his St Croix "thangs" and asked him to break it into three pieces so I could save money on shipping.

No fooling!!

Keeper of Clyde

Date: August 31, 2010 06:33PM

Bill

Do or can you sell - snow balls - to the Devel ??

I had to ask - DDoooo

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 31, 2010 07:29PM

Bob this dude thinks I am lying!

Maybe he is the one that needs to sample the secret elixir stored in glass milk bottles in the barn on the Duck!!

Dear Mr. Boettcher:

It pleases me greatly that I have managed to "sell" a large number of items to those involved in this wonderful craft.

At this point, my largest failue is the inability to get YOU to cough up the cash for one set of micro guides.

Tell you what - you order one set of micro guides from Bob McKamey at Mudhole and Swampland will guarantee payment for !/2 of the total charge.

If you give them a chance the rod will light you up a lot brighter than one of your White Night Sticks.

I chose to answer!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2010 08:34PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 31, 2010 11:25PM

i use a rainshadow rx7 mb783. I typically like a more moderate rod for treble baits, but a soft rod just doesn't work for jerkbaits -IMHO - i have used this blank a lot as i throw a jerkbait most of the spring and early summer months. a lighter weight blank (like a MHX, SCIV, castaway, etc) would be ideal, however i would just make sure its not too fast or too heavy. For the record i throw anything from a pointer 78, xcallibur twitch baits (both DD and regular) all the way up to the DD pointers and also a larger spro minnow (45)
it handles them all very well. micros on top, 6-7"" rear grip (i'm 6''1").

Regards,
-Justin

Date: September 01, 2010 11:17AM

Bill

Got a set I got from Mud Hole a while ago Just have not stripped the rod I want to put them on yet

Thanks for the offer though. If the bass guy I fixed his Sage rods takes me up on testing it - I'll build it.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2010 11:20AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: September 01, 2010 03:10PM

Bill,

Get first hand input by using it yourself!! Once you see and believe the advantages that they can offer for certain Bass rods (some others as well) You will be easily selling him on the rewards.

Posted by: Todd Badgley (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2010 10:17AM

Lou -
I have a buddy that fishes the exact rod and lures you're talking about. He throws 7/8oz and 1oz jerkbaits on a GLoomis Med Light 6'10" and swears by it. I've been with him when he is catching 8lb+ fish on this set up. Of course I'm bundled up like the Pillsbury Doughboy in late January! Those BPS boys are a little slow to listen to reason.
Todd

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster