I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Storing a Rod in a Car Permanently
Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: August 31, 2010 02:28AM

Hi All,

I am looking to build a MHX #5 flyrod to keep in my car permanently, so that I can have it ready when ever the opportunity arises.

Will this be a problem when the outside heat reaches up to 105F (average 85 F) on some days in summer?

Is the blank likely to be affected?

Thanks,

Richard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Storing a Rod in a Car Permanently
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 31, 2010 08:23AM

No. It will not harm the blank.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: August 31, 2010 08:24AM

I keep several rods in my truck and i live in Memphis TN.
We got to around 110~120 heat index many days this summer and at work i leave my car in a blacktop parking lot.
It gets even warmer there.
I use MHX, and Castaway blanks no problems at all.
Fiberglass may be a problem, its less heat tolerant,but i don't use that so cannot say from first hand experience.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: August 31, 2010 09:56AM

The temperature inside a car or truck will reach temperatures exceeding 140 degrees. This is due to the conversion of visible light into Infrared which can't pass through the glass (greenhouse effect ). This is the reason that children and pets should not be left in a closed car--particularly during the summer. This high a temperature my not harm the blank and I may be a wimp, but I would rather not expose my rods to these conditions for any length of time.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.samuelmanutech.com)
Date: August 31, 2010 10:00AM

I don't think it would hurt the blanks, it might cause your tip to come loose! maybe

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: August 31, 2010 10:46AM

I've heard of some folks factory rods that have had handles come loose after years of being left in a hot car. I tried to insist to them that it was poor craftmanship on the handle-to-blank bond, but they would never want to place blame on a manufacturer *roll eyes*.

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2010 01:41PM

I live in Southern California just out side of Palm Springs and keep a couple of rods in my car all the time and have never had anything go wrong with the rods themselves, but your line may deteriorate from the heat overtime so as I do change it regularly.

Tight lines,

JH

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2010 04:23PM

Have rod in car at all times. I built it 3 years ago and it stays there because I travel quite a bit and I never know when I'm gonna pass a little honey hole. To me it's like a secondary first aid kit. LOL

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 31, 2010 04:50PM

If you keep the rod in a sack or tube, and keep that out of direct sunlight (which I'm sure you intend to do) then you'll minimize any effect that such heat might otherwise have on it. Out of the direct sunlight there won't be enough heat to damage the rod, even over many seasons.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 31, 2010 04:56PM

My only problems with storing rods permanently in my vehicles are:
1/ I hardly ever get to where I'm going on time - too many places to explore!
2/ I never seem to have the rod I want to use in the vehicle that I'm driving at the time (in another vehicle).
3/ I would recommend keeping it out of sight - just to keep the honest people honest.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 31, 2010 05:02PM

maybe also put a Vent Hole or two in the tube to relieve any pressure that will get built up cause the heat. Should help like said keep the direct sun off it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Matt Ekhaml (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: August 31, 2010 05:56PM

I live in Vegas. Depending on the epoxy used, it may soften in a hot car. Seen it happen before.

Posted by: Tom Kelly (---.goodrich.com)
Date: August 31, 2010 06:23PM

Ken Preston Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My only problems with storing rods permanently in
> my vehicles are:
> 1/ I hardly ever get to where I'm going on time -
> too many places to explore!

Now that's too funny!

Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: September 01, 2010 03:21AM

Thanks again All.

Richard

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster