I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Screenprinting
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 09:04PM

Is there anything out there about how to screen print on blanks? (since thats the process I understand many OEMs use)

If not, I make a suggestion for there to be an article in an upcoming RodMaker.

-----------------
AD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2010 09:04PM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Screenprinting
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 25, 2010 09:13PM

It's somewhat expensive and not something you really could afford to do one-off.

On the upside, it is very durable and looks great. I just don't think many could afford to set up to do it.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 25, 2010 09:43PM

alex, it sounds like you now have a challenge on how to figure this out.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 10:07PM

The machine alone is around a 1,000 bucks. then you need to get the founts

Good Wraps Bob

Date: August 25, 2010 10:15PM

I can spend $1000 in labels way before the equipment wore out for screenprinting.

Sometimes you gotta look long term. There's also a lot of new technology out there. Pad printing looks like an option as opposed to screen printing. Time to do some learning.

Pad printing is used for golf balls - so it's pretty durable and flexs to the shape of the surface. Hopefully my rods wouldn't take those same type hits... if so there are other issues.

-----------------
AD

Date: August 25, 2010 10:36PM

Alex how is those 5 to 6 ft Bass rods coming along. I got to thinking about how long it takes to build a rod and give it to a customer . Where our differences were I build 10 foot plus Ironhead rods. I forgot to mention the cost of the special ink used in silk screen. Most manufactures are going pad now days

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: scott besse (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 10:46PM

I WAS UP LATE THE OTHER NIGHT.I SAW ON A TV INFOMERCIAL A COMPLETE SCREEN PRINTING SYSTEM.YOU CAN EVEN MAKE CUSTOM TEMPLATES.NOT SURE HOW MUCH IT WAS BUT I TEMEMBER THAT I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE FUN TO DO WITH MY DAUGHTER.I JUST FOUND IT.NOT SURE IF IT WOULD WORK.

[www.4yudu.com]

Date: August 25, 2010 11:03PM

I think my wife found it also. I believe it is by the same company that makes CRICUT This machine has lots of possibilities for the rod builder

Good Wraps Bob

Date: August 25, 2010 11:13PM

Bob - I don't know any bass fishermen that use 5 or 6' rods except in very unique situations- so why would I? 8' rods are very common and longer isn't allowed due to "doodlin" in the past. 10' should be maybe 3 more guides - so 15 minutes?

That is the type info I was after. I know you can buy home set ups for screenprinting rather economical. There are tons of "garage printers" out there doing shirts by dye sub, heat transfer, and screenprinting. Technology has changed... got to be some options for someone who does more than just a few rods per month.

How many colors do you need? I get most of my decals now in one color... at least screen or pad printing could give you some different possiblities.

-----------------
AD

Date: August 25, 2010 11:13PM

My wife says the silk printing machine is a pain in the back side to use

Good Wraps Bob

Date: August 25, 2010 11:19PM

Alex What are you going to put on your rods all the blank specs plus your customers and your name on it

Good Wraps Bob

Date: August 25, 2010 11:20PM

no interest in customer name. just the basics.

-----------------
AD

Date: August 25, 2010 11:26PM

A nice quill hand job looks good to me on a custom rod

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 26, 2010 07:43AM

alex, have you thought of a stencil and painting. it would be quick and economical once the stencils are done. just something that popped in my head while reading the posts

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: August 26, 2010 08:19AM

Alex, I'll poke around. I have seen it done on How It's Made. I have a friend that designs and builds packaging machines. He may know someone that knows someone...

Chuck

Posted by: Earl Hamilton (121.54.92.---)
Date: August 26, 2010 10:33AM

I used to do this when I was back in the UK with a silicone rubber pad. It is a very quick way to get your logo onto a blank permanently, but really only economical if you are doing a run of blanks because of set up time and cleaning the equipment after. A freind of mine made the printing machine for me. Finding the right hardness of silicone rubber for the pad was a bit of a trial as was getting the right ink. Look for mug or pen screen printing set ups if you want to go this route

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: August 27, 2010 03:48PM

Alex - no luck, but I see some used small pad printers on the major @#$%& site. A Google search revealed a couple places that rent pad printers.

Chuck

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 27, 2010 06:52PM

Alex if you would like to consider purchasing a computer controlled automatic cross wrap lathe to go withe the screen printer set up I think I can arrange a roll up deal you can refuse!

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 27, 2010 08:37PM

Just from what I've been able to read up on this it seems to me that screenprinters would be much better suited to a mass production type of operation. By that I mean running dozens (and dozens) of product through screen printers a day. Something more attuned to a large rod company than a dozen rods a week (or / day for that matter). On top of that from the few videos I've found online they appears to require considerable clean up after each "production run". Pad printers don't seem to be far behind on cost, maintenance and operation either - even the manual models (circa $650). At that cost for basically fixed text it seems to me that a really top of the line printer that can do multiple lines of customized printing is a better option. I've seen the labels that Kevin Knox does on his Powis Parker FoilFast p21X printer - they are outstanding. Pretty much any font you would want and very crisp lettering. They are expensive (circa 1,500 - $2,000 ) so I'm still using my Epson Officejet color printer and printing on waterslide or Avery "clear" labels until I can justify another capital expenditure. Right now the second ALPS lathe chuck, more blanks, more guides etc preclude the Foilfast as an option for me for now. I did notice that the P21 model has been replaced (discontinued) by the P21X model. Maybe some will show up on @#$%& or surplus.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster