I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sound of on your favorite guides for Ice rods
Posted by: Ray Mazza (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 06:39PM

I'm getting ready to build a few new ice rods for myself and got wondering, "what are other builders go to guides for ice rods?" Personally, I prefer a larger IO guide so I don't have to deal with ice-up as often. I'm in Central NY and it can get cold and nasty out there! I like my rods light and sensitive so it's a trade off at best. I build most of my personal rods at 18 - 22" in length. I still have a few St. Croix Avids laying around so I thought I'd experiment a bit and try some other builder's ideas. Feel free to chime in, or even send me an email if you'd like to expound the virtues of your set up. Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sound of on your favorite guides for Ice rods
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 06:49PM

Ray,
I use one of the following:
1. I use fly style conventional guides, with no ceramic rings or

2. Pac Bay Minima 4 guides.

I built several hundred ice rods last winter, but the majority of the rods were with either one or the other styles of guides.

Really no reason at all to have guides with ceramic or other type liner in the rings. The line out and line in is minimal. Generally, very little running with fish in the winter due to the cold water.

3. The third option is to use simple stainless wire guides.

There are a very large % of fishermen in the midwest that primarily fish from shelters. Since this is the case, there is no reason to put oversized guides on these rods that will be used in shelters with temperatures above freezing.
It is only when rods are used in the open that you have to worry about larger guides.

----------
With respect to the handle, I primarily use either cork - tennessee style with no separate reel seat, or EVA in tennessee style with no separate reel seat.

Just send along a roll of electrical tape and when needed, the reel is taped on.

The one thing that is a good idea with a tape mounted reel, is to take a couple of wraps at the front of the reel seat and the back of the reel seat. As a result, it makes sense to leave a couple of wraps on the reel seat in the areas where the reel will be molunted. That way, when a reel is taken off or put back on, only remove the tape to the layer of tape. If you constantly remove tape down to the handle when changing a reel, it is likely that for either eva, or cork, the handle will tend to get ripped up.

Also, nothing lighter than no reel seat.

Roger

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 09:33PM

JANNS NETCRAFT----FLEXLITES! Proven here in Alaska!

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (199.117.182.---)
Date: August 25, 2010 11:28PM

Berkley SS series

Posted by: Josh Clawson (---.static.midco.net)
Date: August 26, 2010 08:32AM

I have used recoil spinning guides on a few of my personal ice rods here in North Dakota. They are anywhere from 29-31". Personally I like the recoils(I suppose the flexlites would work the same way) because once you get a little bit of build up of ice on your guides, all you have to do is give them a flick and the ice flies off. I actually have down to size 6 recoils on my run and gun rod for walleye jigging. I've search fished outside with this rig in 10-15 below zero with minimal problems.

Posted by: Ray Mazza (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 26, 2010 04:32PM

Thanks guys. I'm going to try at least one with the Flexlite or Recoils. The idea of flicking the ice off sounds good to me. Don't know why I never thought of it. Anyone else got a preference? You've got to love this forum, no matter how long you've done this or been here, sooner or later you pick up ideas. Thanks to Tom and all that pass here! If you're ever in or passing through CNY, look me up.
Ray

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: August 28, 2010 10:16AM

Berkley SS series. the width of the guide foot is thinner than most guides which makes wrapping them on the thinner width blanks much easier. Guide rings are nice and large and the matching tip tops go down to 3.5 tube size. Never had a problem with them and have built dozems. I only wish I could find them at wholesale cost.
Buzz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster