I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Labels
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: August 24, 2010 08:06AM

Good day to all

I just bought a Brother PT-2100 Lable maker and made some labels with it, went to put them on and thought do I need CP on these things?

Well I hit the search but could not find anything on the subject (probably not asking the machine the right question) and not being computer literate find that I need some expert advice (or at least informed).

Do I need to put CP on These labels?

Thanks for any and all HELP!

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Labels
Posted by: Scott Armstrong (---.hsd1.al.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2010 08:35AM

I would spray it with acrylic clear, let it dry and apply the label. I've tried CP on decals but get just as good if not better results without it. I haven't used the type of label you are using, instead water-slides and white vinyl.

Date: August 24, 2010 10:36AM

Hi Scott

Thanks for the quick response.
I have been using the waterslide labels but my fingers are thick and it is hard to work with the waterslide labels I keep streaching them and the background color cracks and they don't look good after that.
Sometimes I crinkle them up and that is even worse, these labels done on the PT-2100 go on easy I just hope the epoxy won't pucker or curl them up, I wrapped the ends so the corners can' t curl or pucker but still have the edges to worry about.

Thanks Again

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 24, 2010 10:42AM

Try them on a scrap blank with and with out cp see what happens Only way to be sure.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 24, 2010 11:03AM

Use an acrylic clear with UV blocker. Some printer inks are prone to fading - especially blacks. Better to be safe than to find out after the rod has been sitting on the deck of a clients boat for 2 months. Krylon makes 2 different kinds, apply liberally.

i always use a coat of CP on top of that. I've had it where epoxy went on fine and other times where it fish-eyed horribly... that doesn't happen with the CP and its easy to put on so i always use it now.

Regards,
-Justin

Date: August 24, 2010 11:36AM

Hi Bill & Justin

I like all the ideas and will do four labels, 1 with nothing, 1 with CP, 1 with Fixitif & CP, and the last one with just Fixitif and let you guy's know how it comes out.

Thanks to All.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Greg Vogel (---.135.80.14.montanasat.net)
Date: August 24, 2010 11:48AM

I have used clear varathane with good results on my labels.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: August 24, 2010 11:53AM

I have used that type of decal in the past and I think because it is a laminated process to make the dcals with that machine, I never had issues with my decals fading. Mine were on clear tape and used the white color. That type of decal does not use ink to make the decals. The main issue I had was the decal curling up and it seemed no mater what I tried I had issues. In the end what worked best was using thread over the decal when first applied and after it set for awhile, applying CP over the decal. That seemed to work the best to keep the decal from curling. But I now like the new peel and stick decals from Decal Connection. They are done just like vinyl decals, with a backing sheet and a cover sheet. You pull the backing off, apply the decal and then with the cover sheet on, you can rub the decal onto the blank. The you peel away the cover sheet just before your finish and you have a clean, fingerprint free decal.

Posted by: David Cockerham (---.wilkes.net)
Date: August 24, 2010 11:46PM

I've use the P-touch labels on some of my rods. The labels look great, but I found two things I don't like about them. First the labels are thick and second, I found they don't like to be coated directly with two part epoxies. The chemical reaction will cause the edges of the label to roll out. I’ve tried different ways to prevent this. What I’ve found that works best for me is to apply the label to the rod. Next apply one coat of Gudebrod 1-Part Rod Finish and let dry over night. Finish with one coat of Flex Coat high build two part epoxy.

As for any issue with fading, as far as I know I have never seem any of my P-touch labels fade.

It would be nice if there were a printer along the lines of the P-touch that would make labels like water slides.

I hope this helps.

I did a post on this subject a few years back, but I’m computer savvy to know how to find it.

Date: August 25, 2010 06:36AM

Hello Everyone

I did my experiment last, but with 5 sets; #1 the rod I was originally working on was wrapped on both ends and coated with CP, #2 was without any coating, #3 was coated with CP only, #4 was sprayed with Fixitif dryed then CP, #5 was sprayed with Fixitif and let dry.

All showed signs of curling at the edges, worst were the ones with CP, the one with nothing were the best overall and the one with only Fixitif was second best, but as I said they ALL showed some signs of curling and nothing conclusive was revealed.

I will try (later) the put it on and wrap it full length leave it over night and in the morning take the wrap off and coat .

The Epoxy used was Flex Coat.

Thats it for now unless someone else has something to say and if you do , Please do!

Thanks to everyone.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Kevin Bogan (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 08:20AM

After applying the label, apply clear nail polish to the outside edge. It will dry in a minute or two and will anchor the edges.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 10:12AM

two things I am wondering are you putting a coat of clear on - then the label ? Is it possible to coat the label - before - putting on the rod ? Maybe the coating drys and it won't curl up ??

Don't know if these will change any thing just wondering

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster