I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
HHHEEELLLPPP!!!
Posted by: Aaron Evans (---.fccva.com)
Date: August 24, 2010 11:50AM

I was working on replacing some guides on a gloomis blank for a customer and i over heated the tip and now it is ruined. GLoomis said that they cant help me but I hope someone out there can. I need another tip section if anyone has one for sale :

model number: F1087-2-GL3
mahogany in color
9' 2pc. 7 wt

Thank you for your time!! aaron73hwt@hotmail.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HHHEEELLLPPP!!!
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: August 24, 2010 11:58AM

Hi Aaron

You could cut it off at either 1st or 2nd guide, find a scrap tip with about the same action and slide it inside the broken top and put your guide back on over the repair and no one would know.

Good Luck

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2010 12:14PM

Aaron,
If it is only the tip, cut 1/2 inch off the blank and put the tip back on.
Roger

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2010 12:54PM

Correct me if I'm wrong. I think theres some ethics involved here. If you can't make it exactly how it was you have to tell the customer what happened and then go from there....NO? I would be very upset if I found out my rod had been spliced together after I sent it in for a repair. I don't mean to sound like I'm perfect. But I wouldn't want a spliced blank or a rod that was shorter then when I brought it in. Whatever the outcome I think the customer should know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2010 12:55PM by Larry Damore.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 24, 2010 12:54PM

Do as Roger posted. You will lose virtually NOTHING

Date: August 24, 2010 01:19PM

it is the second guide down and it isn't broken per say but the rod bend a little with the heat. I am trying to find a tip section that matches other wise i have to buy new everything.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 24, 2010 01:26PM

So this was done on a guide, not a tiptop? Question - why were you applying heat to a guide? An attempt to soften the epoxy? The method given on the FAQs page is far safer and often quicker.

Posted by: David Spence (204.152.2.---)
Date: August 24, 2010 03:22PM

I'm with Larry-cut it down and replace the tip. Tell the customer what you did and how it happened; apologize and show him that the remedy did not change the action. Tell him that you could have cut the tip down, replaced the tip-top and he would probably would never have noticed, but you don't do business that way. Offer to do what it takes to satisfy him. If he's just your everyday fisherman with no expertise in rod or rod actions, chances are almost certain that he will give the rod a quick shake and declare it "fine." He will probably also be so impressed with your forthrightness that he will return for more work and refer others to you. I would wager to say that the chances are almost nil that he will either become irate or unreasonable and if he does, you will know not to deal with him in the future.
My $.02.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: August 24, 2010 03:35PM

I agree with Larry, Tell the customer what you did, Tell him how you would repair the damage. If he is not satisfied offer to replace it. Be honest and he will be a customer another day.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 24, 2010 03:49PM

Whoa! Second guide is a lot different than "tip". You're gonna have to 'fess up - up front

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2010 04:37PM

With the 2nd guide down, unless you want to splice in a repair section means a new blank.
This is likely the best solution. Find the same blank, build a new rod and move on.

Roger

Posted by: Aaron Evans (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 24, 2010 08:52PM

I am not sure why everyone is thinking that i am trying to hide this. I am trying to find another tip section (of the 2 piece) or the entire two piece blank so i can just replace the the tip section. I have no problem fessing up, I just want to know if someone has another identical blank out there and wants to sell it. If I dont find another section I have to find another blank from different manufacturer and buy new, etc. I am just trying to rule out the possiblity that someone out there may have one for sale or is willing to get rid of it. ; ) Roger that is exactly what i want to do.

Aaron

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 24, 2010 09:12PM

Aaron,

Which part of the blank did you damage - the tiptop area or a section behind the tiptop, the 2nd guide?

The remedy will be different depending on which area it is.

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2010 10:05PM

Aaron Evans Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am not sure why everyone is thinking that i am
> trying to hide this. I am trying to find another
> tip section (of the 2 piece) or the entire two
> piece blank so i can just replace the the tip
> section. I have no problem fessing up, I just
> want to know if someone has another identical
> blank out there and wants to sell it. If I dont
> find another section I have to find another blank
> from different manufacturer and buy new, etc. I
> am just trying to rule out the possiblity that
> someone out there may have one for sale or is
> willing to get rid of it. ; ) Roger that is
> exactly what i want to do.
>
> Aaron

I was refering to the comments after you're post. Not directed at you or anyone specific. Sorry if I gave that impression.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: August 24, 2010 10:27PM

I would just offer to build him a new rod. Mud Hole has the MHX lineup which will be similar to the G Loomis IMX version of the damaged rod. You could even upgrade him to the four-piece version for only a few dollars more. IF you did find an existing GL3 blank, the price won't be pretty. IMO, your best bet is to just take an immediate solution and be done with it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 12:36AM

Since it is a G Loomis blank you could try contacting North Fork Composites on the left. They may be able to help if you can not find a tip section??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Aaron Evans (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 05:01AM

tom - I damaged the tip section of the blank (Tell me if I am calling it wrong. It is a two piece rod and it is the tip section not the butt section) I dont really want to splice anything. I am hoping to find an identical blank to replace the tip section or I am going to have to buy him new blank and components on my dime. I have a baby on the way, new house and things are tight, not something I would like to do. hehe

I felt finding an identical blank was the first option and I want to exhaust it before I spend money on buying new components.

Aaron

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: August 25, 2010 06:20AM

FTU in Houston is showing one left in stock. It is discounted to $150.00.

IMO, it would be less expensive and easier to buy new components (using what can be recovered from the damaged GL3 rod) and build a fresh rod. In addition, the customer would get a new build on a faster blank for the inconvenience. They will find it even nicer to get the four-piece as I mentioned earlier - much greater portability. The retail price on the MHX is 2/3 of the price of a replacement GL3 blank IF it actually exists. Should you be eligible for wholesale, then it becomes even less expensive to do it that way.

Date: August 25, 2010 06:46AM

I really appreciate you looking that up. THANKS!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2010 06:48AM by Aaron Evans.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: August 25, 2010 07:57AM

Hello to All

I'm just giving an opinion on a possible fix and not trying to push any morality on him, that is strictly up to him.

I would tell the customer just what happened and ALL possible fixes and let him or her decide what they want done it's thier nickel and your bad.

Good Luck.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster