I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Suppliers with good customer service
Posted by: Pat Barnard (---.vctrcmta01.vctatx.tl.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 20, 2010 09:13PM

I have been building rods for ~ 25 years and have used a few suppliers. I have been using my current supplier for ~ 8 years. In the past 2 years I I have had many orders sent to the wrong place, partial orders, missed delivery dates, etc, etc. Today I stopped using them and need your help in finding an alternate supplier with a proven track record. I will not name the supplier, but if fellow rod builders will offer their selections I would appreciate it. If you would like to respond via email that is fine.
Thanks.

Pat Barnard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2010 09:14PM by Pat Barnard.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suppliers with good customer service
Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: August 20, 2010 09:59PM

Check out the list of suppliers on the left of the screen, and start from there.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 20, 2010 10:14PM

Every supplier to the left will have a long list of supporters, and a handful of detractors.

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (129.133.195.---)
Date: August 21, 2010 04:41AM

I have used several of the suppliers on the left and one that isn't on the list and haven't had any major issues. I seem to have to worst luck with stuff being backordered, no matter who I order from. Some items are special order and can take a long time to come in. One of my suppliers recently felt bad because they went to ship out some blanks and found that the last one they had in stock that I ordered had some flaws in it and the other blank wasn't in the shipment that it was supposed to be in. It happens! With any backorders or out of stocks, if it's more than a couple weeks, I drop them an email or phone call to see if they know an approx ETA; sometimes things don't come in from the manufacturer on time. I usually get a phone call or email if something is backordered, discontinued, etc, or I see it on the final order list I get emailed so I know that there will be some items missing. All of my suppliers have been great communication wise!

Also, missed shipment dates may be due to the carrier; the majority of the times when I get items thru Fed Ex, they will arrive early at the warehouse and then be held until the "estimated" arrival date. Some parts of Fed Ex don't deliver on Monday, so you have to wait until Tues. Their "estimated" delivery date works in their favor, not the customers. I had packaged scheduled for normal Saturday delivery from Fed Ex and the package never arrived; the tracking said there was a local weather delay, even though it was bright and sunny!

Is the address on the shipping label correct? It may have been the carriers fault. Partial orders; were items backordered, out of stock or discontinued? There are a lot of reasons for these issues, have you talked to your supplier? Maybe have them put a note on your account to contact you if any items are out of stock, backordered, etc?

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 21, 2010 11:14AM

I think this was touched on some time back and it makes sense. Suppliers can only afford to keep so much merchandise on hand for immediate delivery. Some are better than others about orders - especially if they are submitted through the internet /on-line sales but are much better over the 'phone when they can check if the item is in stock or not. Adding to this, at least to some extent, is delivery to the supplier/distributor of parts entering the country (imports). Some items are just slow in arriving and others can get held up in Customs inspections.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 21, 2010 12:15PM

I have had nothing but TOP NOTCH service from all of the suppliers on the left!!

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: August 21, 2010 12:31PM

Here's my experience ...

ALL the vendors on the list to the left offer acceptable service, otherwise they wouldn't be here. SOME of the vendors will offer exceptional service in YOUR opinion. What that means is that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". You are simply going to have to find the right fit in respect to your inventory needs, your customer service needs, etc. One thing for sure, you won't lose any money by shopping from the sponsor list AND you do have a ton of choices. Surely one will be happy to have you AND you to have them.

Posted by: Matthew Smith (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 21, 2010 12:47PM

I have been in the customer service business for most of my life and have, in my opinion, received better than average, and sometimes great, customer service from the suppliers I have used from the "list on the left." I have not had any bad experiences at all. I have had plenty of back orders, and understand the causes of such, and had 2 goof-ups or misunderstandings, which were dealt with professionally. No complaints. In my opinion, it isn't making mistakes that is a problem, since everybody makes them, it is how they are dealt with.

Matt Smith
Greensboro, NC

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 23, 2010 01:30PM

Pat,

I agree with Matt. We are all human and mistakes will be made. It's how the mistakes are handled that will make all the difference in the world. What you have to do is take a good look at how the supplier approached the mix up. Did they handle it with kid gloves and get it straightened out right away or did they go about it with a poor attitude. Weigh the customer service after the errors if they are taking care of the issues and trying to make you happy they are up there with the good ones. If not look tot he left and find a new supplier. I have used several of the suppiers on the left and have had great customer service from them all.

Good luck and tight lines,

JH

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 23, 2010 02:07PM

Every one I have dealt with on the left has given great service , and fast delivery

Like said if they treated you right no sense to leave them

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2010 02:09PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: August 23, 2010 02:53PM

I wonder how many bother with a phone call?

Recently I ran out of a certain color in the midle of a cross wrap. I was surprised to find it in stock. I had ordered thread that was shown as in stock before and waited weeks without anyone saying anything so I decided to call for a change.

The gentlemen also doubted it was in stock and personally went to check stock. I told him I'd settle for any size spool. He found me what I needed in record time and changed my order on the spot. More impressive was that the order was placed on Thursday and the order was in my hand on Saturday afternoon. This was standard shipping.

I think the extra personal touch made a big difference. If I had only ordered on-line likely I'd still be waiting for a 4 ounce spool of gudebrod to arrive. I bet I'd be waiting a very long time. Long enough I might decide their customer service was lacking.

Point is the customer needs to involved and make sure they understand what the entire story is. I know guys that will no longer do business with a vendor because they didn't understand a warranty or exchange policy for example. These things can be out of the vendors control.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 23, 2010 03:29PM

heck I get stuff just as fast from California as I do from Florida. And i live in Jersey. Go Figure.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster