I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy and Alcohol
Posted by: Clinton Terry (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 19, 2010 06:32PM

If I clean some threads with alcohol and let them dry thoroughly, say, overnight, and then put epoxy over the threads, will the epoxy be affected? Alcohol evaporates quickly, but I do not know if it leaves anything behind. Clinton

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy and Alcohol
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 19, 2010 06:50PM

It depends on the brand - some actually do. Scents are sometimes added to IPO and these can affect epoxy behavior.

This is a hard question to answer, because it's going to depend heavily on the brand of IPO involved.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 19, 2010 07:15PM

If you have to use alcohol for some reason - use denatured alcohol (hardware store)- not rubbing alcohol (drug store)
Herb

Date: August 19, 2010 09:45PM

I am using S-L-X Denatured Alcohol I bought from Home Depot.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: August 19, 2010 10:05PM

Hi Terry,
When an alcohol is called denatured, it means that something has been added to prevent the alcohol from being used for purposes other than the intended purpose. For example when ethanol is denatured and sold for industrial uses, compounds are added that prevents the alcohol from being consumed. Often these compounds are ones that are toxic to humans.

When we use denatured alcohol we have to keep in mind that there are compounds present in the alcohol that could leave a residue are affect the finish on the blank or even affect the epoxy finish. Therefore it is prudent to think about this before using it to clean a blank or remove dried bits of glues. Testing the alcohol on a piece of blank is always a good idea.
Having said this I use denatured and ISP (91%) for many purposes in rod building. I'm just careful before I use it. Before the advent of graphite rod blanks I used both acetone and MEK for the same purpose. I stopped after ruling the finish on a 3M graphite blank.

Mike Blomme

Date: August 19, 2010 10:55PM

Thanks Mike, that was a very thoughtful reply. From your experience, however, has denatured alcohol affected any of your epoxy work and if so how?

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 19, 2010 11:21PM

I found if I have 2 shots and two beers that my hand allows me to make very straight lines at the end of a wrap with the epoxy and finish all guides before the epoxy starts to set. . Any more than that and it gets messy and I run out of pot life with the epoxy.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: August 20, 2010 12:52AM

Clinton,
I use denatured alcohol to remove any epoxy that I spill before it cures. When I finish a wrap I do not use alcohol on the wraps on the guides or decorative wraps. To remove dust I use either a brush or an electrostatic tack cloth (Home Depot). Since I always use color preserver, I apply that after finishing wrapping a rod and after it has dried, I apply finish. When the finish has cured, I will clean the rod with soap and water. If I find any goo left from pieces of masking tape, I remove that very carefully with GooBegone. i hope this helps. Sorry about your name in the first post.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: philip hardy (62.189.57.---)
Date: August 20, 2010 04:38AM

Mike,
Is Goo Gone the same as Goo Be Gone?
I can only find Goo Gone over here in the UK on @#$%&.
Philip

Date: August 20, 2010 06:32AM

Not a problem about the name. Thanks for your input and insight; it was very helpful. Clinton

Date: August 20, 2010 10:22AM

Philip,
To be honest, when I sent that e-mail, I was just to lazy to get up and rummage around until I found our bottle of the stuff. I just did and it is Goo Gone. Actually, the smell of the stuff makes me believe it is just an organic solvent. You could probably use Xylene (Xylol), turpentine, or paint thinner and achieve the same result. I apologize for the mix up. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2010 12:04PM

Clinton,
If there is an issue with alcohol is that it is really not considered to be a solvent for epoxy. i.e. alcohol really does not mix with epoxy very well.
Having said that, alcohol does clean things pretty well. As long as enough time elapses between the time that alcohol is used and the use of epoxy there is generally no issue.

Although more dangerous to use from a health aspect due to its very volatile fumes, Xylene is considered to be a solvent for epoxy and epoxy paints. i.e. Xylene mixes well with epoxy and will act as a good thinner and cleaner as well.

The warning about using Xylene is that one should be using a full re breather mask as well as rubber gloves and or outside during its use to prevent health issues.

--
I have to ask, why are you using alcohol on the thread after wrapping the rod?

One very important thing to do when wrapping rods, is to use very good personal hygiene. i.e. wash your hands frequently with soap and water, as a surgeon will do before operating. You want to minimize the skin oil on your hands, as well as excess skin cells.
If you do end up with things on your threads like skin cells and other contaminants, use a good tack cloth, or use low tack masking tape to tack off the threads. Really no reason to use any type liquid on the thread after wrapping, before coating.

But, I do think it is a very good idea to do an excellent job of cleaning the blank very well before ever starting on the build. i.e you want to use alcohol, soap and water or similar to really clean the blank very well. You should be sure that all oil, grease, finger prints, etc. have been removed from the rod before ever starting the build. Check the butt and tip of the rod, to be sure that you have nice clean straight ends on both ends of the rod. If necessary, If not, slightly trim the irregular end as necessary before starting the build.

Good luck
REW

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 20, 2010 03:53PM

Clinton:

I use the S-L-X Alcohol. I haven't had a problem with it effecting FlexCoat epoxy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster