I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

how to sand and make smooth a reel seat ..
Posted by: peter gersumky (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: August 19, 2010 06:17PM

i want to modify a Fuji ACS into a split reel seat ( yeah i know they make them and are gonna be available at a later date) . so what grit sand paper/emory cloth would i need to have the reel seat look like it came from the factory !! is it possibible to have it turn out really smooth?? thanks , i know you guys have modified reel seats before and know the route to perfection !!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how to sand and make smooth a reel seat ..
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: August 19, 2010 11:07PM

I cut them, sand them with whatever is on the dremel then a buffing wheel. Never had a complaint about how they look or feel.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 20, 2010 07:13AM

you can sand and buff out scratches from cutting. be careful not to allow the piece to get too hot while buffing as it can melt the "graphite/plastic" seat. if you buff it will change the look slightly. you can lightly hit it with 800 grit sandpaper and restore it to the original look if you desire the matte look.

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: August 20, 2010 12:28PM

800 grit for a final finish, I sanded all the hard lines off my ACS seat starting with 80 grit. and worked my way down to 800.

Posted by: peter gersumky (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: August 20, 2010 03:43PM

thanks guys , i think i might have to buy a few extras to practice on !! appreciate it !!!

Posted by: mike burnette (209.105.133.---)
Date: August 20, 2010 09:18PM

Hey Guys,
Can somebody post a picture of a split reel seat?
I think i understand but I need a picture.
thanks,
mikeb

Home Town,Gretna VA

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2010 02:29AM

Peter,
The simple way to make a split reel seat from a conventional reel seat is to use a hack saw, band saw, jig saw, abrasive cut off wheel or other to cut the reel seat as needed. i.e. the fore reel seat and the back reel seat.

If you trim threads off of the reel seat, be careful to not trim too many threads, which wouldn't allow you to install your reel.

Then, simply take a bolt or solid blank material that you can chuck into an electric drill. Build up the blank or solid material with masking tape, until the reel seat is a tight fit on the built up arbor.

Finally use the variable speed drill to spin the reel seat against sand paper, or preferably a belt sander to smooth the edges as needed.

If you have a buffer or buffing wheel, you can then finish it off with the buffer or very very fine grit sand paper.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: August 25, 2010 07:40AM

Not the ACS seat, but here was a pic posted showing a before and after.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: mike burnette (209.105.133.---)
Date: August 25, 2010 10:27PM

Thanks MIke!
When you do this the reel seat must be the same size as the blank??? or real close,, correct??
thank,
mikeb

Home Town,Gretna VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster