I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

eva strech
Posted by: Jason Wenzel (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: August 15, 2010 09:45PM

How far can you strech eva? I need to slide 5/8" onto about 1", doesn't look like it will go very willingly if it go.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: eva strech
Posted by: Ron Orga (---.nrflva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 15, 2010 09:56PM

Jason, If it looks like it will be tight I put the grip in the microwave for about 1 and a half minutes just prior to sliding it on. Goes on very smooth.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: August 16, 2010 12:43AM

Eva will stretch. What I do is first let the grip free fall go back 4 inches and apply adhesive all the way down. Now just above the glue line place the gripe, Now with the forefinger and thumb squeeze the vary top of the grip tight. In one motion move the grip down do not stop. (If you stop the grip will be there for life).

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: August 16, 2010 08:05AM

Just put denatured alcohol in the grip and dump it out before you put it on the blank. Slides like Butter...

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: August 16, 2010 09:05AM

What effect does the dna have on the glue?

Ron Weber

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 16, 2010 09:47AM

Jason,
If you are ever concerned about the potential stretch of EVA< just ream it out to a size where you aren't concerned about the stretch, before starting the installation.
EVA reams just fine and is not an issue.

Roger

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: August 16, 2010 01:58PM

I use Rod Bond. I reality if you do the squeeze trick. You do not need glue. The compression of the grip will last for ever

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 16, 2010 02:02PM

ream it
if it fits so tight as you push it onto the blank it acts like a sponge and just whips the glue off. IMHO it is toooo tight.

Your rod

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 16, 2010 04:30PM

Ron Weber Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What effect does the dna have on the glue?

None. I just get it on the blank and twist it around. If I hear any squeaking at all, I pull it up and add more epoxy and slide it down again.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 16, 2010 06:52PM

Kevin how are you able to twist a tight fitting grip?

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 16, 2010 06:57PM

The key is to get epoxy between the grip and the blank. Read the FAQs page on how to go about that.

And do remember that there is a limit to how far you can stretch a grip. Much depends on the EVA material itself - there are many grades and different hardnesses.

Trying to get a 5/8th inch ID fit over a 1 OD inch is pushing things as far as I'm concerned. I'd want to start with something closer to 3/4 (or larger) at least. But that's just me.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.202-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 17, 2010 12:49AM

You will likely deform the grip trying to hard unless you use laquer thinner. 3/4 or 7/8 ID would be a much better option.

DNA dries to quickly to be a good solution for that, while laquer thinner seems to slide right down with no issue whatsoever. I tend to use mineral spirits as it does not dry out as quickly as DNA, but for the one I know will be tougher laquer thinner 100% does the trick.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: August 17, 2010 12:53AM

Bob, you say you do not need glue but you said you use Rod Bond. Isn't Rod Bond a glue or am I missing something ?

DNA evaporates. It helps the glue become extra slippery to be able to twist your grip to where you need it. I also remember someone here saying you could squirt some gel shaving cream into the grip. You get the same effect as using DNA. It also evaporates as it dries because of the alcohol as an ingredient.

All EVA is not the same and doesn't ream the same. If it's a hard EVA you can ream it to just a few inches of where you want to place the handle and use the glue to help slide it down the rest of the way. If you're using a soft EVA you will have a harder time reaming it so I would do as Tom suggested and use a grip with an ID closer to the size of the blank and use the glue to lubricate the grip to slide it down the rest of the way.

Lance

Date: August 17, 2010 07:27AM

Bob Balcombe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kevin how are you able to twist a tight fitting
> grip?

Put it in your hand and turn. It will twist with ease on the blank, no matter how tight it was to get on. Also, once the grip is down, it stretches a tiny bit. The DNA will evaporate, but only if you take half an hour to put the grip on. I do it all the time with my grips and have never had an issue with it.

Posted by: David Spence (---.nccourts.org)
Date: August 17, 2010 09:57AM

I spray Formula 409 into the grip, swish it back and forth and slide the grip on over the epoxy. It makes the grip so slick, you can slide a very tight grip all the way down without any epoxy. Most of the 409 is squeezed out of the bottom of the grip and I have never had any issues with glue failure or any other failure, probably because the 409 lets you uses such tight grip.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 17, 2010 11:58AM

I use it more for a lubricant . I have it pre mixed for the reelseat

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Kevin Bogan (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 21, 2010 08:47AM

If the hole is too small in relation to the blank I.D. the EVA could split. It does not have the stretch capabilities of hypalon.

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: August 21, 2010 05:19PM

Another reason to search for hypalon
It also has a softer feel, if that's what you like(I do).

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: John M. Hernandez (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 23, 2010 01:06PM

Just one thing to add Jason,

EVA over time will get hard and even brittle if not taken care of. EVA will also loosen as it ages. Hypalon, at least for me does a better job in most cases depending on the application, and no matter what I always glue my grips on. Over the last 38 years of building, compressed air works well but with age grips do get lose.

Tight lines,

John Hernandez

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 23, 2010 04:07PM

OK john

How tight do they have to be ?? i mean it is like a sponge and when pushed down the blank would tend to - whip - the glue off ??

So why is it so hard and why do they have to be so tight ? They can be reamed to have a - snug fit .

Every thing fails over time, but why should it be so hard to put these things on As described in so many tutorials

Why not just ream them for a - snug - fit and glue them ???

What is the Big Deal ??

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster