I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide suggestions - bluefin popping rod
Posted by: Dan Bryant (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 12, 2010 10:23PM

Hi Guys - I just bought a couple blanks to build for bluefin tuna popping rods. These are Black Hole blanks, parabolic-action 8-ft blanks intended for casting fairly large (4-7 oz) stick baits and poppers and fighting big fish (150 lb +) using heavy drags. I will mate them with Stella 18000SW reels and either 60- or 80-lb hollow braid, with short (10 ft or less) wind-ons comprised of 100-lb mono. Casting distance is important.

My question is which guides to use? It seems that MNSG and ICMNSG are fairly common, and I think Virtus "heavy" would work well. But because casting distance is important, I am wondering if another guide series such as TKWSG might be a better choice? I don't usually have problems with wind knots, but with the braid it does happen so the K-series is appealing in that respect. What about guide height, are the TKWSG guides (especially the larger ring sizes) any taller than MNSG? And finally strength, are the TKWSG sufficiently strong? Any other suggestions for guide choice?

Thanks, any suggestions and comments are appreciated.
-Dan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide suggestions - bluefin popping rod
Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: August 13, 2010 07:53AM

If I were you, I would go with either the TKWSG's or the Virtus Heavy. Guide height is not an issue inless you are looking to do the rod in casting or spiral. When I build these rods, I start with 30 and go no smaller than 10 at the top. The 10's accept windon leaders nicely.

Kevin

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (---.37.184.76.adsl.snet.net)
Date: August 13, 2010 09:39AM

The Titanium K series aren't recommended for this; their frames are very flexible and people have seen the frames get bent/misshapen from higher drags. The Steel K series should be fine though. They are taller than the MNSG and have a 50mm, but I don't know if you will need the 50 or not; I usually use a MNSG 40 as my stripper guide for my Saragosa 18K. The 50mm is used by OTI and people have reported better casting distance. Height is important with some reels; having the guide ring more in line with the reel seems to help with a smoother cast in some of the larger reels; other reels have been fine with a lower guide. It will depend on your individual setup. For my rods, I usually go 40, 25, 16, and then 12's for the remainder of the guides. I use loop to loop connections and wind ons too, but if you get busted off, you may need to tie a knot quickly and I would want the extra clearance the size 12's give you!

The Fuji MNSG are my go to guide for this, but I just got a set of the Alps XN guides to try out; they look strong enough and well made for this purpose. I have tried the Virtus guides in the heavy and light and they are strong as heck, but I haven't used the 30 and 40mm yet.

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: August 13, 2010 11:39AM

I would recommend the ALPS XN guides for this application [www.batsonenterprises.com]. We developed a #40 just for this application. I would also recommend a flanged ring tip top to match>>
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us>>

Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast/ALPS
www.batsonenterprises.com
877-875-2381

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: August 13, 2010 01:51PM

The MNSG is the standard for me on these type of rods. I have used and liked the Virtus line. I have heard great things about the ALPS XN's from the west coast guys. Titanium is nice but can be more fragile if bent and un-bent. I don't see the weight savings important on a rod like yours.

Bottom line, it is nice to have so many quality choices these days. I don't think you will go wrong with any of them.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: August 13, 2010 03:16PM

Hi Dan,

Obviously my job is to promote our products. If there was a better option out there I would let the others have it but I personally think that there is no better guide for this exact purpose then the Titan Virtus Heavy (NIRLVH). The 30/40mm sizes were specifically added in the heavy frames precisely for these types of applications. The titanium material is light weight with flexibility that is perfect for casting. The frame design & style make them ideal for extreme duty use. The Nanolite ring is also well suited for braids, knots and other connections. Hope you still consider them, as I said they were included in our line for this intended purpose.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Date: August 13, 2010 04:07PM

Hi Guys

I appreciate the responses, thanks. I am going to research the Titan Virtus Heavy, Alps XN, and Fuji KWSG compared to the MSNG and ICMNSG guides and pick a set out.

-Dan

Posted by: Rena Hall (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: August 13, 2010 04:34PM

Dan,

I believe that you are going to have a very hard time landing a 150 Lb. Bluefin using a parabolic tapered rod, especially when
the fish close to the boat and when it's time to gaff it!

Rena

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (---.37.184.76.adsl.snet.net)
Date: August 13, 2010 04:43PM

Nope! It's been done numerous times before! The rod will flex like that down to the foregrip area and it still has backbone to land the fish; the grip area usually doesn't flex much as it is a 2 piece blank IIRC with the foregrip, reel seat and rear grip/gimbal on the 2nd lower piece. The more parabolic bend helps take the strain and pressure off of the angler. A fast action blank hurts the angler much more because there is a much longer leverage arm in favor of the tuna. Many of the tuna popping rods built for the Cape Cod BFT fishery are of this parabolic nature; they aid the angler in fighting the fish buyabsorbing the fishes power, but they still have the backbone needed to lift the tuna and control it boatside. This type of rod is fairly new in the past few years. OTI rods, BD rods, and the Japanese brands will flex pretty much down to the joint area as well and people had no problem landing 200#+ BFT last year with them. It involves a different style of fighting the fish, too.

Date: August 13, 2010 05:21PM

Tim is right. This is a pretty exciting way to fight these fish that has developed over the last few years on the east coast, but borrowing heavily from techniques that I think in most part originated in Japan. We fought and landed a 74-inch, 250 lb bluefin and a 64-inch, 160-lb bluefin on a trip to Cape Cod last month and I am going back next week. While I will not say it is easy...it is an awesome experience to sight-cast to busting 200+ lb tuna, watch these fish hit your surface lures, and fight them stand-up without a harness, on spinning gear. It has taken a new breed of rods, reels, line, hooks, and even the knots.

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: August 18, 2010 02:53PM

Just a short note. If you use 300lb wind on leaders with a loop to loop like we do for our type of GT fishing here in Hawaii, the size 12 may be too small for the wind on to pass through easily. The serve hangs up quite often when casting, shortening your cast. I know you probably won't be using 300lb leaders but just a tip regarding line size and guides.

Date: August 19, 2010 08:37PM

Thanks, Mark.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster