I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Manuf selling blanks with the new 3M resin?
Posted by: Bryan Thompson (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: August 12, 2010 06:05PM

What blank manuf are using the new 3M resin in their blanks. If they are can I get that exact model with the same graphite in a standard layup. I really gotta check this out just deaden some curiosities.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Manuf selling blanks with the new 3M resin?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 12, 2010 06:35PM

St. Croix
G. Loomis, Inc
Hardy and Greys

If you've bought a St. Croix rod in the last few months, you may already have it.

Others are working with it and will have it in the mix shortly.

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2010 07:58PM

hmm.

What is the new 3M resin..... I was just at there site a week ago... I didnt see any news about this ? Site ? Information ? anything ?

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: August 12, 2010 08:22PM

[rodbuilding.org]

-----------------
AD

Date: August 12, 2010 08:45PM

Funny, I just did my annual broken St Croix stuff and did upgrade to a new legend xtreme (1 week old). Same model as an older legend elite and LTBC. I really am not, but kind of impressed with the legend extreme.

So I was out pitching beavers and using the old legend elite and new legend xtreme. Although the weight was slightly lighter in the hand (both equipped with steez's) with the xtreme. As crazy as this may sound and it may not make quantifiable sense, but trust me. The performance difference was not enough (negligible if any) to garner the difference in price. I can confidently say I did not miss fish do to anything I can place on one rod v. the other. I think things may have gotten to the point to where we are splitting hairs. Now in my living room though I am checking the point to determine fastness. They both are really close, but when you go to over load the rod the legend xtreme does seem to hold against the weight better by a tad (there may be other factors than the resin contributing to this though).

So in conclusion I think the only benefit from these new resins are weight (which is important I guess, 10 years ago reels weighed more than a legend xtreme/steez combo). Maybe though the reel benefit for these new rods is if you are trying to challenge the max loads on these rods. This is about the only real benefit I can find that warrants the add'l cost.

So I still want to build on two identical graphite material blanks. One 3M NCi(?) resin and one with the standard layup resin, and see if the general public including myself can feel a true difference. About the durability issue, I'll let someone else trash their money for that. The bad part about the xtreme v. elite comparison. Differences in seat, cork amount, and guides. So true objective results can not be made.

Date: August 12, 2010 08:47PM

Dang Alex could of used that 2 minutes ago before I wrote my dissertation. LOL

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 12, 2010 10:10PM

The first entry in the RodMaker Magazine blog details exactly what you can reasonably expect from the resin/matrix.

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2010 12:31AM

If I am not mistaken, the Legend Elite and Legend Extreme are the same blank, just different color, guides & grip.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: August 13, 2010 12:43PM

Legend Tournament uses SCIV.

Legend Elite and Xtreme uses SCV and SCVI.

[stcroixrods.com]

-----------------
AD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2010 12:44PM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: August 13, 2010 12:51PM

Tom when is the mag. do out and where do I find the blog

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 13, 2010 12:53PM

Bob -

"Rodmaker Magazine Blog" - to the left near bottom

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: August 13, 2010 12:59PM

Thanks KEN Now I know these senor peepers are failing me LOL

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 13, 2010 01:25PM

My issue is "senior tech" - I just got used to internet webbing / web pages and now I have to adapt to "finger generation" blogs. It's hard getting old!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster