I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
bass balancing
Posted by: Mark Clooten (---.dreamrae.com)
Date: July 28, 2010 10:23AM

Can someone help explain why you balance a bass rod at a different point? Most of my 7' rods with the reel on sit right in my hand with no pull to the back or front. is there any reason that I would want it to go one way or the other? Is this something you do for a different tecnique?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bass balancing
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 28, 2010 10:29AM

Mark;
I would use the search function of this site to look at answers. This has been discussed several times with builders both for and against balancing.
Personally depending on the technique, I am for it for several reasons of which you will find in your search
. But would also tell you that if most of your rods balance at the point you stated you are in pretty good shape

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 28, 2010 01:04PM

Mark,
If you have a fishing rod that you use for a given purpose and you like the way that it feels in your hand when you go fishing - leave it alone and go fishing.

If you have a fishing rod in your hand for a given purpose and find that you don't like the way that it feels in your hand when you go fishing - change it.

That is really what custom, balance, etc. are all about.

Does the rod do what you want, when you want it, the way that you want it. If it does - it is a great rod and shouldn't be changed.

But, if for some reason the rod doesn't meet your needs for a given purpose, use it for a different purpose, or change the one that you have to meet that purpose.

Roger

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 28, 2010 01:12PM

I like to worm and jig fish a lot. To me, the rod with the reel sits comfortably at the 10:00 position. This is what works for me. Some like it horizontally balances. As Roger said, this is the custom side of it.
A lot of the newer rods, with the split grips, and nicro seats are tip heavy, which I hate. You waste a lot of wrist energy keeping the tip up, so you can balance the rod to suit your style of fishing. Also to balance to a specific reel.
I ask the customer, they usually have a perference as to how their specific style dictates. I feel that when the butt end is weighted some, the rod seems lighter. Just my style. Others may disagree...
Kyle

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 28, 2010 02:18PM

Bass fishermen that I am acquainted with in NW WA. use different reels on the same rod. In doing this it also changes the characteristics of the rod balance from tip heavy, to butt heavy to a negative balance. Depending on their style of fishing they want to change where their reel is positioned or placed on the rod. For these guys/women I recommend a Tennessee Grip and Duck tape. This way they can achieve the balance they are looking for. Food fore thought, why not have an adjustable reel seat. May be one that can change the position of a reel one inch ether direction from center front or back by one inch. My thought would be to use 2 sliding hoods on a contentious thread with locking nut system at both ends. What are your thoughts on this type of system

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 28, 2010 02:22PM

Like just said a lot of the - in things - butt grips are lighter. But on a 7' rod this even with micros the tip is still heavy Soo - common sense is to make a good looking butt handle with some heaver materials.

But this is how it feels to you. You have to experiment.

Or add a weighted butt.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Richard Glabach (158.72.186.---)
Date: July 28, 2010 03:23PM

Bob,

if you could design such a handle and provide grip comfort as well, I think you might be able to buy a private island for yourself!

Date: July 28, 2010 03:44PM

It has be invented. Also it can be made from a graphite seat. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 28, 2010 03:45PM

Richard I all ready own 5 acres near a fantastic Steelhead and Salmon river. I said near not on. People who live close to a river generally have house boats for their home or the house becomes an Island in the winter LOL

Good Wraps Bob

Date: July 28, 2010 03:58PM

Bill the metal one is not impressive. My thoughts were to cut a threaded section off a reel seat, put 2 hoods on it. This way you can adjust where the reel would be placed. Lock the hoods in place with 2 adjusting lock nuts. This way you can balance any rod. No need for weight. If the threaded sections a to short, add an extra section glue the 2 to gather and you are in business

Good Wraps Bob

Date: July 28, 2010 04:23PM

Bob

This can be done with any seat. Just cut where the reel feet go. Bore the seat so it slides Smoothly along the handle. As the seat is tightened down it presses onto the handle and keeps it in place.

tried several and it works.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 28, 2010 04:28PM

Bill that that are my thoughts exactly. by doing this you eliminate lead

Good Wraps Bob

Date: July 28, 2010 04:34PM

The only thing is the seat has to fit maybe a 1" OD handle. and unless bored out enough will make for a large OD seat . In order to have enough to hold the reel. 22-24 seats ??? Do not know if they make many any more ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 28, 2010 04:58PM

Bill what are you trying to accomplish? Email me at balcomberods@aol.com send me your phone number

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 28, 2010 05:10PM

Marc:

Bass rod use for tournament anglers:

Update your email address on this forum and I will send you some very interesting material. It deals with all that is posted concerning the "sensitivity" issue.

To long to post on the open forum.

Take a look at the photo link on this forum.

The best of both worlds.

Flip sticks - or other "beast" rods tip heavy enough to kick your tail for all day work -

Weight OFF and in pocket for spot use when fish are noted on side scan -

Weight on for all day work with flip stick to permit longer term use -

In some cases it is a no brainer!

Click on the link: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Systems in three available assemblies - [www.swamplandtackle.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2010 05:11PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 28, 2010 07:26PM

Bill,
From the one picture, what are you using for the cap over the threads when not using a weight.

Posted by: Bill Napier (---.astrahosting.com)
Date: July 28, 2010 09:29PM

Some very good tips in here. Very good stuff.

Date: July 29, 2010 10:49AM

Mike, just screw the cap on.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 29, 2010 11:09AM

Mike we have two options for the rubber protector. The black piece with the threads is high quality aircraft aluminum. The thread are coarse and quite sturdy. They do not get messed up with normal banging around in a boat. The two options are a large foam EVA piece that is a snug fition fit and the other is an inverted hard rubber slide on cup. Most initially want a soft cover but soon loose it and fish with it with the black threads exposed.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: July 29, 2010 11:56AM

Bill I remember seeing the rod you had at the Duck with it on and personally I would not need to have a cover. I am thinking of others who might want one. Thanks for the info.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster