I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

need a tip on a good reel for my seeker
Posted by: Greg Calkins (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 27, 2010 04:25PM

im starting to build my seeker csw 748 hgl and i plan on using it for sea bass, fluke and blackfish. and i was told dont be worried about 50lb stripers with it. i was currently using a tica gemini gn300 but i see alot of buzzing with 2 speed reels. this is gonna be my combo so i would like to have some good stuff as long as it is resonably priced. are the 2 speeds worth it? Thanks

Greg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: need a tip on a good reel for my seeker
Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: July 27, 2010 05:47PM

IMO only on heavy fish that go down deep and you need to winch them up. The retrieve is slow but powerful

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: July 27, 2010 07:15PM

I thought 'blackfish" were killer whales. At least that's what my salmon-fishing former father in law called them up in Washington. If that's the case, you'll need a whaling vessel for a reel.

Posted by: Clyde Hunt (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 27, 2010 08:12PM

A MX series Avet would work nicely with that rod.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 27, 2010 08:12PM

Avet 5.3 small good capacity, great drag

Posted by: Jason Cosby (---.sub-75-221-60.myvzw.com)
Date: July 28, 2010 07:42AM

With that rod and on those species, IMO a two speed would be a waste--as long as the single speed ratio isn't over 5:1. My Accurate 197 at 4.6:1 is perfect for that situation. I know two speeds are all the buzz, but IMO they're overkill until you get into cow tuna, marlin, sharks, etc.

Jason Cosby
Cos Rods

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 28, 2010 10:39AM

I would go along with what Jason said. Generally for most types of fish and fishing the reel isn't intended to be used as a winch. You pump or pull the fish to you with the rod and then use the reel to recover the slack line.

If you were needing to use the reel as a winch, and were trying to pull up a large sounding fish, then I could see the need for it. But for what you outline I'm just not sure you really need to invest the money in a 2-speed reel.

Posted by: PAUL BEAULIEU (---.dsl.mrdnct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 30, 2010 11:59PM

That's a Seeker inshore blank (did you mean CSW 708?) and a great one for all the inshore applications you named. Its one of my favorites. Beautiful dark blue blank that I wrapped in dark blue with metallic silver underwraps. Get lots of compliments on the rod. I fish LIS and love my Avets , either the SX or MX's for tautog but prefer a baitcaster with a thumbar for quick freespooling when targeting fluke, seabass or scup. Almost any Abu, or Calcutta will do. For sure you don't need a two speed reel for any of the species you mentioned. Enjoy!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster