I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Accent wrap with metallic
Posted by: Clinton Terry (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 12, 2010 09:34AM

I am having some difficulty with doing an accent wrap using metallic silver. What I have been doing is setting up the accent wrap at the get-go. I lay the silver out and tape it to the rod. I then lay out the pull through loop and tape it to the rod. I then start the guide wrap and complete it. I return to to the accent silver and undo the tape and make three turns around the rod and through the loop. In pulling the silver thread through the loop, there is some resistance from the thread and sometimes the silver, which is twisted around a fabric core, comes undone. Sometimes, in pulling the silver back to cut it with a razor blade, which does not cut it well after awhile, it comes undone and because the thread is wirey, it is useless and I have to do the entire wrap all over again. There must be an easier way to do this....any thoughts?

Clinton

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Accent wrap with metallic
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 12, 2010 09:53AM

If you are not using Fish-Hawk threads I would suggest switching to their brand, doing such has cured most of my complaints when working with metallic threads.

You might also try backing down on you tension just a tad.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 12, 2010 10:01AM

No pull loop is needed.

What I do is take a small section of the silver, wrap it around the blank going over itself where you want it as many turns as you want. I do my wraps left to right.
Then I tape the ends to the right onto the blank

Start the main wrap to the right as close as you can get to the silver , wrap about 4-5 turns and lock it in. Trim end.

Then I take each of the silver ends and pull in the direction of the wrap-like tying a knot- pack the silver when I like it I cut the ends off and finish the wrap.

Adjust the position if necessary.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2010 10:02AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: July 12, 2010 10:04AM

On the pull through loop, try only wrapping over three times.....five at the most. Keep the tag end short, just long enough to grab it to cut it off.

I normally use full underwraps and just make them a little longer to get the same effect.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: July 12, 2010 10:29AM

I do everything just like you do, except when I am done with the trim wrap I pull it up tight and before I pull the tag end under I trim it off as close to the pull loop as possible. That way you don’t have any tag ends coming through the thread at all. BTW you can use the same piece of thread to put a trim wrap on the other end of the wrap too, this looks especially good with Forhan wraps where you have some thread on the opposite side of the guide.

Date: July 12, 2010 11:29AM

Bill, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I cannot visualize this. Are there any visuals somewhere. I would like to experiment with this.

Clinton

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 12, 2010 11:45AM

Clinton,

Check Bill Wordens single trim band tutorial [www.rodbuildingtutorials.com]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: July 12, 2010 11:55AM

I had the same problem with metallics on trim bands .......a little less tension help solve it for me. You also may want to be sure you use a new piece of thread for each pull loop as the nylon can get a "memory" and get a twist in it after a few pulls....this causes a bunch where it passes under the wrap and makes it harder to pull. I also started using smaller diameter threads to pull metallics.....size D nylon was tough to pull through a size A metallic underwrap.

About cutting the tags......there is no substitute for sharp tools and the metallics will dull a single edge blade pretty quick.. As soon as my blade stops cutting without any "sawing" motion....I toss it. They are pretty inexpensive.

Good Luck....Joe

Posted by: Matthew Smith (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 12, 2010 11:57AM

I use an entirely different process, which may not be for everybody and takes a little practice but works for me. I learned it from LA Garcia's book "Handcrafting a Graphite Fly Rod" and he calls it a "continuous wrap." I have never seen it mentioned on this forum or anywhere else other than Garcia's book, possibly because it is a bit complicated, and without photos and such, it is going to be hard to visualize. My best recommendation if you want to try it is to pick up a copy of the book from one of the sponsors on the left, but I will attempt to describe it. As I said, it works very well for me, and I can do as few as 2 turns of the trim thread using this wrap.

If you wrap left to right, put the trim color on the right and the base color on the left on your thread holder. Begin your wrap with the trim color just as you would any wrap, leaving the tag end un-trimmed for the time being. Wrap the number of turns that you want for your trim band and stop. Pull your base color thread up and over the top of the trim thread, making a "V", pull the new thread tag through the "V" and start the base color wrap, pinning down the running and tag thread of the trim. This is the part that will take some practice, and you have to hold pressure on it with your thumb to get it started. After a turn or 2 you can cut the spool end of the trim band color, make a couple more turns, and pull everything tight if it isn't already. Then you can cut off all 3 tags and continue wrapping as before.

It sounds tricky, but for me it is easy, probably because it is the only way I knew how to do it for a long time. My directions aren't very good. Probably buying that book would be best.

Matt Smith
Greensboro, NC

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: July 12, 2010 11:58AM

Check this out in the Library section up on the top of the page.[www.rodbuilding.org]

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2010 02:01PM by Steve Bro.

Date: July 12, 2010 12:09PM

Best thing ever found![www.rodbuilding.org] Lifetime guarantee and free sharpening. I have two and alternate sending them in for sharpening every year or two, Less than $20 at Walgreen's Bill Stevens showed them to me at the big show a few years ago. I consider them indispensable

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: July 12, 2010 12:33PM

Good Morning Clinton,
I do my trims in the same manner, but I don't put the trim tie off loop at the end of the wrap. Instead I put in the trim thread and the tie off loop and then I begin my wrap. When my wrap thread reaches about half of the total wrap, I lift the trim Tie off loop and continue the guide wrap. I tie off the guide wrap and then I wrap the trim (1-4 wraps) and then insert the trim thread through the loop and snug it tight against the wrap. I slowly pull the loop until the trim thread is just pulled under the trim wrap. At this point, I carefully cut the trim thread and pull on the tie off loop. This will pull enough of the trim thread under the guide wrap to hold it in place and there will be nub to cut off. If there is any space where the trim tie off loop was, it is easily closed when you pack and burnish the wrap prior to applying finish. I do the same or my guide wraps. Since I started doing my wraps this way, I no longer have any nubs or fuzzies to worry about. I hope this helps.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 12, 2010 12:47PM

I do the trim bands after the main wrap. Tom did an article in RM on trim bands ( I don't remember the issue it was in). I tried it and been doing it like he described ever since, it's easy.
Maybe Tom can remember which issue it was in.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: July 12, 2010 12:59PM

Thanks Mike, That was pretty neat. I will definitely be able to use that. However, it probably would not work for making two or three wraps around the rod. Right?

Clinton

Date: July 12, 2010 01:04PM

Thanks Tom. I hope Tom is reading this and is able to respond. Clinton

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 12, 2010 05:03PM

Mike B:

I remember talking to you in Charlotte "centuries ago" while we were playing around with the green milk crate.

I remember seeing your eyes light up when you saw the knippers!

Travel back in time courtesy of the Photo Board!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Take a look at the ones you saw! Center Bottom with the blue vinyl grips.

Them pills we swallow must be working!

Hood A Thunk We Wood Still B Aroun!!

This forum is still answering the same questions to the ones starting down the road!

Swampland will send the first person a gift straight from ICAST (Vegas) that can identily the long slender green thing standing in the center of the picture and what it is used for! (Mike you are not allowed to enter)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2010 06:16PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.theedge.ca)
Date: July 12, 2010 09:41PM

Bill
The long round green thing is called a 'round tuit'.
When your wife asks you when are you going to do some chore she asked you to do and you say 'when I get a round tuit'.
She will hand you one of those and kick you in the butt!!! LOL

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Date: July 12, 2010 10:34PM

That was my first show, Bill and I haven't missed on since, That tip you gave on the nippers is the best one yet!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: July 13, 2010 09:13AM

Hello Bill
Is that one of those cat-nip thingies with a suction cup on one end and the loop on the other to tie the fake mouse stuffed with cat-nip?

Thanks.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 13, 2010 02:49PM

Green Thang Clue -

That "green gizmo" is a professional level medical extraction device which is related to the title of this thread -

Replaces the Pro Finger used by the Bad To The Bone Master!

Keep on trying - the prize will be a good one!

Lance will stalk the ICAST floor selecting the best one he can find!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster