I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Senko blank Recommendation
Posted by: Mike Wiles (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: June 29, 2010 07:52PM

How about a senko blank recommendation under $100?

I like to fish them weightless.

Mikew

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Senko blank Recommendation
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 29, 2010 08:07PM

nothing better in my book
RX8+C812 6'9" Medium Fast 8-14 1/4-5/8oz. 1.85oz. Satin Black
Senko Special

Date: June 29, 2010 09:07PM

I think that blank is $150 plus... too expensive... I need something cheaper unless you have a better source

Mikew

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: June 29, 2010 09:52PM

trying MHX Blanks from mudhole, they are under 100, they are replace a lost longtime gloomis blank,, go to mudhole site..
Josh

Posted by: Matthew Elrod (---.sip.cae.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 29, 2010 10:17PM

I will 2nd the MHX line. I have built on 8 of those blanks in the past 3 months. My clients are raving over them. Three of those guys are regular tournament anglers, and they are very impressed.

Posted by: Todd Badgley (12.21.172.---)
Date: June 29, 2010 10:32PM

Castaway HG MB784
6'6", medium action, mod fast tip.

Date: June 29, 2010 10:33PM

Have you built any MHX blanks specifically for weightless Senko fishing?

Posted by: Matthew Elrod (---.sip.cae.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 29, 2010 11:16PM

I built a spin/jig for myself specifically for weightless worming. Senkos are some that I toss, but not the full size Senkos. I built it on model#SJ842-2 (2 piece). That model is rated for 6-12lb. I have really enjoyed it. I have also built one for a client in the model just above it, rated for 8-15 (SJ843). I will be building myself one on that blank as soon as I get an opening. The 842 is great for weightless, but if I wanted to go light texas or light carolina, it just needs a little more to it. With 8lb line, my 842 can toss a 5 inch zoom finess worm or a 4-5inch senko a long dog gone way, with plenty of backbone left for long-distance hookset. I will say that the butt diameters are a little thicker than expected, but the weights of the rods are still very good. I do not mind a thicker butt section as long as it is adding to the weight. I have a few posted on my facebook page at Elrod Custom Rods if you want to view them (if that helps at all). Good luck.

Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (64.122.91.---)
Date: June 30, 2010 05:16AM

MIKE TAKE A LOOK AT THE BATSON RX7 ISB802.75...JUST UNDER 50 BUCKS AT MIDWEST ROD AND REEL...TAKE A LOOK AT AT HERE
[www.midwestrodandreel.com]

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Posted by: Mike Clements (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 30, 2010 07:16AM

If your looking to build a spinning senko rod, I would recommend ATC Viper Mag Bass - AVMB-844 from the MudHole. I originaly set this rod up for skipping soft plastics under docks for Snook but found it made an excellent rod for senko fishing. Being in Florida, I have taken bass over 8lbs( still looking for my 10lbder) in the stump laden areas of the Stick Marsh or the grass & pads in the Kissimmee chain of lakes without a problem. Also, it will throw a senko a long way. My son uses his to throw frogs also. I use it with braid & a flourocarben leader and found it to be very sensitive setup.

Hope this helps, Mike

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: June 30, 2010 06:01PM

For my tiny senkos--3" and 4"--I use a St. Croix 3C69MLXF (built as spinning) with 8 or 10 lb. line. For my larger senkos, I use a 3C68MXF built as casting. I've been really, really pleased with both of these blanks for these applications.

Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: July 01, 2010 05:16AM

I would second the use of BATSON RX7 ISB802.75. I like the length of the rod and it has enough power to pull the fish out of a bit of grass. I fish Senkos as much or more than anyone I know, and my Senko Rod is 6'8" and I love it. Built with Batson blue zirc guides, woven carbon fiber grips (from John Timberlake), Aero handle and it is comfortable and light, and there are certain lakes and times of year where it it in my hand ALL DAY. I fish it with 14-20# braid and a 10# fluoro leader and 4/0 EWG hooks.

I really like the length and action of the rod and think you or who ever the rod is built for would be very pleased.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." — [Ian Holm (Bilbo Baggins)]

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: July 01, 2010 10:46AM

St. Croix AVID 7'6" med light fast. Very nice blank, very popular. Doubles as a great slip bobber rod also.

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: July 01, 2010 01:24PM

I'll 2nd the 3C69MLXF

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Date: July 01, 2010 10:54PM

Hi Charles,

Does the BATSON RX7 ISB802.75 have enough back bone for a good hook set with a 5 " Senko?

Thanks for all your inputs...

Mikew

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster