I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Special Thanks to Raymond Adams
Posted by: Matt McKenzie (---.146-205-66.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: June 28, 2010 08:04PM

It has been a goal of mine for the last couple of years to learn some of the skills involved with custom rod building. I had been looking into classes to take in my area of Northern California but there weren't options. I even asked an owner of a rod repair shop some 2 hours away if I were to drive down a couple of times a week, and for a fee, if he would teach me the trade. Understandably, he said he couldn't accommodate me as the task of teaching someone the rod building art would consume too much of his time. So, after a few more web searches for classes, and even a consideration to fly back east to one of a few rod building weekend seminars, I submitted a post entitled 'rod building' (in retrospect I realize that the title was a little broad) basically asking for help with learning the skill in Northern California. It was answered promptly.
Ray was kind enough to post his phone number, we touched base, and I asked about the particulars. He would not hear of taking anything from me in the form of payment, instead insisting that if I had interest in learning the trade, he would have no problem in passing on that knowledge. It's not often that you come across an individual willing to open his home to a complete stranger in order to teach an art that has taken him years to master. For this, I am extremely appreciative.
So, over the course of the last month, I did my best to keep Ray hydrated with his favorite soft drink (Corona), and I'm proud to say that together, we constructed my first custom rod. A calstar e glass 870 with fuji Sic guides. Ray even allowed me to wrap it in metallic silver and black to coincide with the colors of a certain bay area NFL team, even though he's partial to the team on the other side of the bay ( I don't think I'd have been as tolerant if the tables had been turned!) Of course, the rod could not have come out better, I'll post a pic or two soon, and I'm looking forward to fishing with it.
Thus, this post is to thank Ray and Tina for allowing me into their home and making me feel welcome. I am very grateful for all of your help and hospitality, and look forward to getting some boat time in with you. I couldn't have asked for a better teacher. Thank you again.

P.S.

Any ideas on where I might find a good deal on a power wrapper?!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Special Thanks to Raymond Adams
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 28, 2010 08:29PM

Matt;
You couldn't have found a better teacher and a nicer guy to work with. I met Ray for the first time last year at the ICRBE. We had dinner together and some great conversations. He is a great Rod Builder and a super nice guy.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 28, 2010 08:34PM

Click on Buy/Sell above and then click on For Sale to get the full list.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 28, 2010 09:06PM

Thanks Matt but it was a true pleasure to have you over. I enjoy teaching as much, if not more than I enjoy building.

There are a couple of other rod builders here locally and a few more within a not to long a drive from here and we should arrainge
a get together here pretty soon. I'll keep ya posted!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Walt Natzke (170.146.227.---)
Date: June 28, 2010 11:11PM

I'd be up for that!

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 28, 2010 11:31PM

" The best things in life are free!" So true in this fascinating activity called rod building and especially with helpful, friendly, master builders like Ray. He has helped me and so many of us with his emails, Library and open one-on-one sessions. Doc, Tom, Mike Barkley, Randy Putter, Ken Preston, Terry Hernson, Mark Blabaum, Bob McKammey and many other grerat builders often give their expert knowledge gladly when they have the time. Our best thanks is to support their business and emulate their style.

Date: June 29, 2010 12:57AM

Back in the day when I first started I only had Dale's book to go by. I tried to get some one on one with a couple rod builders working out of a few tackle shops but they were not willing. All I was able to get was some very basic advise on general assembly & finish.

Fancy wraps & cord work was out of the question! I guess they were afraid I would take some business away from them and in a way I really don't fault them. I'm just so glad that is not the case anymore and the advise and sharing that goes on now just shows how far we have progressed.

Without the advise & tutelage from others my skills would be far less than what they are today. So , like other's, I feel the best way of giving back is to continue in the footsteps of those who have helped me.

I still have a long way to go myself but I really enjoy showing someone what I do know & helping them to get on the best foot forward.

I am truely thankful that I have the opportunity at least once in a while to provide an area for someone else to shine and find enjoyment instead of stress. I encourage everyone else in our community to do the same when they can.

Raymond Adams

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: June 29, 2010 10:12AM

After corrsponding with Ray for several years it was my pleasure to finally meet him in person in High Point. He's every bit as nice a guy in person as he seems to be on line. My only regret is that my wife and I did not get to spend more time with him as he was very busy seeing the show and meeting a lot of other people.

Posted by: Bill Koski (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 29, 2010 12:32PM

If you have a get torether, keep me posted
Bill
Concord,ca

Date: June 29, 2010 12:43PM

Your both on my list Bill & Walt

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 29, 2010 01:36PM

Ray is the ultimate "Sharer" and a great guy, I had the pleasure of tipping a few (actuaaly more than a few in High Point!!!!! Just curious, did he have little red umbrellas in his Corona???

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 29, 2010 07:04PM

Mike, they were Green umbrellas , all of them were Green . Yours were the Red ones, all 2 dozen of them !

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster