I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Resin with the shortest pot life is.....????
Posted by: Ken Driedger (173.183.41.---)
Date: June 28, 2010 07:25PM

Several new (to me) formulations are now available. I don't do enought volume to try all the brands, they would be sitting on the shelf, as I don't do enough volume to have a fast turn-around. It's counterproductive to have 5 or 6 "heels" of this, or that resin. The question.... currently: whose present-day resin (one you can still buy) has the shortest pot life? I'm just about out of Threadmaster, and would like to learn if there's another brand out there with the same, or shorter pot life, or I'll just re-order the TM. Thanks in advance. Ken.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2010 07:28PM by Ken Driedger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Resin with the shortest pot life is.....????
Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: June 29, 2010 04:56AM

Any epoxy finish can have a short lived pot life if kept in the mixing cup and not poured out onto a flat surface,such as aluminum foil,etc. Flex coat comes to mind,as does Diamond II. I actually like the Diamond II better. It seems to have a bit of extra working time for me. I hope my answer helps. Then again,many people will give different answers. Take them all with a grain of salt. You actually seem to be an exception,as most people want longer working time or pot life.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 29, 2010 08:16AM

I think he wants less pot life, not more.

If that's the case, then you can work in a warmer environment which will speed things up considerably. Leaving the mix in the cup as Chuck suggests will also help a little.

The old Glass Coat had the shortest pot life of any epoxy I can remember, but I don't think it's available anymore.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 29, 2010 10:26AM

Ken,
If you mix flex coat in a mixing cup, and keep it in the cup you can have a pot life that is on the order of 3-5 minutes, depending on the level of heating that is going on in the cup.

Take care
Roger

Date: June 29, 2010 01:06PM

Hi, Folks...I will attempt to clarify the query. GlassCoat, as Tom mentioned was very quick, when processed in a usual build manner.
Threadmaster is very close, and is speedy enough for my deal. But if there is now a _faster_ one.....kewl.

The question goes to the rest of the pack: when used in a conventional manner..... is TM still the fastest, or is there a quicker one out there.

I'm not talking "trickery" like heat guns, 100 degree rooms, etc...just the normal regimen. Re-thanks. Ken.

Edit: Roger: I have not used Flex Coat for about 15 years...have they changed the formula? Used to be if you left it in the cup, it would hold for about 45 minutes. KD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2010 01:09PM by Ken Driedger.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 29, 2010 02:55PM

Threadmaster high build.

DR

Date: June 30, 2010 10:51AM

Thanks, Folks....TM is no longer distributed up this way. The new owner of the name has not set up a Canadian distributor. No worries... Cash is cash, and I'll just send it south. KD.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: June 30, 2010 06:07PM

Funny--I thought I was the only one that really liked a short pot life. All this talk of lite epoxies with really long pot lives kinda' made me a little self conscious, wondering if I was doing something odd. FWIW--As soon as I found TM, I was thrilled. It's all I use now, mainly because of the short pot life.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster