I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
9 Years
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 10, 2010 09:36PM

This forum was officially launched on June 12, 2001, although the first posts appeared on June 11, 2001. During the ensuing 9 years, it has received just over 336,000 posts - that’s an average of 102 posts per day with almost all of them pertaining to actual rod building topics (to the chagrin of some, I steered the forum clear of holiday/birthday salutations and general "buddy chat”). The rules that I instituted at the outset were decried by some who said that they would result in the forum folding in just a few months. Of course, that didn’t happen.

During those 9 years we’ve seen over 7300 registered users and had over 70 sponsors. Overall the experience has been mostly pleasant - in all this time with this many users and sponsors, only 13 folks and 4 sponsors have gotten the boot for serious rules violations. The vast majority of sponsors continue to renew, year after year (a few were lost when they retired and closed or were bought out by other companies) and many of those original users are still around and quite active. All in all, everything here has worked out very well and the forum and its related features remain as popular as ever.

I would never be so naive as to think any forum or rod building website can please everyone, but overall, this one has pleased and helped about as many as anyone could reasonably hope for. I have no idea if it’ll still be around in another 9 years and it certainly pales in comparison to what the magazine has accomplished, but so far, so good. Not bad for something that few thought would last more than a few months. Thanks to everyone here for making it successful over these past 9 years.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 9 Years
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 10, 2010 10:29PM

Goes to show that you are doing it right!!!! While some may not like some of the rules, there's no arguing that this is by far the most successful, helpull and well run source of rodbuilding information (except for Rodmaker magazine) that is available to builders egardless of their level of experience/expertise!!!
We all owe you a debt of gratitude!

THANKS!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2010 10:48PM

Many thanks for the Forum & RodMaker. Looking forward to many more years to follow.

CONGRATS!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Bill Koski (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2010 11:00PM

I'll admit that I do not have that much to contribute , but I access this website at least once a day. Some of the questions are repetitious (like finding the spine), but thats OK. I have learned so much you cannot imagine and my builds, (limited as they are ) have improved many fold. I, for one, will keep on lurking. Keep on keeping on, Tom.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 11, 2010 12:02AM

I have been building only a few short years. This Forum , which I stumbled across, was the catalyst for my success today. I owe my success as a competent rod building craftsman to this Forum, Rodmaker Magazine, and all the great builders on this Forum that have helped me. I am not a member of, nor do I ever look at any other Forum. Just not interested.
Also ,,, because of Rodbuilding.org I have met some wonderful friends and had some great experiences during my 3 trips to the ICRBE.
Thanks Tom. None of this would have happened without you !!!

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: June 11, 2010 06:38AM

Hello Tom

Add all these comments together + 10x more and it's not enough.

Thank You & Congradulations on a job Well Done!
Here is to the next 9++ years.

Keep your lines tight and your winds right.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: mike burnette (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: June 11, 2010 08:59AM

Thank you Tom!

Home Town,Gretna VA

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2010 10:52AM

This Forum has Been my GO TO Site for for information since I signed up. I'm on here 3-4 times a day, if anyone needs info I send them here to The Place for Rodbuilding info!

Thank You Tom for bringing this Resourse to us

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 11, 2010 12:53PM

At least here you have REAL names and you know who you are talking to unlike other sites where ya talk to bassboy or graphite guy ??

You go Tom.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Matthew Smith (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2010 12:59PM

Congratulations and thanks again, Tom!

Matt Smith
Greensboro, NC

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.sonoco.com)
Date: June 11, 2010 01:06PM

Tom, Ive been building rods for over 25 years as a "hobby builder" and selling to friends, co-workers, etc.
I came to this site about 4 years ago. I have learned so much about methods, new techniques, products, information, etc. I thank you and everyone who has taken the time to post information and respond to my questions.
ABSOLUTELY A GREAT SITE !!!!!

Posted by: Vella (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: June 11, 2010 05:31PM

Congrats Tom

Posted by: steve clark (---.cstel.net)
Date: June 11, 2010 09:59PM

"Thanks to everyone here for making it successful over these past 9 years"

I think the thanks belongs with those of you who wouldn't let us Screw It Up!!! Here's hoping you have the patience to Keep Us Straight another 9 years!!!

that 'other' steve clark

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2010 10:43PM

I'm another who checks in almost daily...keep it coming, por favor!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: June 11, 2010 11:53PM

Tom I can't remember when I first started posting. Over the years I have up dated my knowledge of rod building from this site. I understand your stand on what can be posted and respect that. I believe you are wrong when you stated that this site was not designed to be a good ole boys/girls chit chat club. At one time or another we have all made funny comments. but with being able to share emails. We have been able to become friends with other builders from all over the world. An do our sharing without filling up the posts with none building comments. Thank You Tom for bringing the rod building community closer together. AN yes I changed my fuse on my spell checker.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Jason Cosby (---.sub-72-101-254.myvzw.com)
Date: June 12, 2010 07:16AM

This site is such an anomaly in today's world you deserve nothing but applause, Tom. This is one of the extremely few places one can go, regardless of field or discipline, to find a community that exemplifies the team approach rather than the self centered disease of the day. That goes far beyond fishing rods in my book and is exactly what all those who have fought for this country would have us do.

Jason Cosby
Cos Rods

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-21rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: June 12, 2010 08:23AM

In a day and age when so much of our learning resources have been dumbed down, this place is a breath of fresh air. I get tired of hearing how 3+4 = 10 isn't wrong, it's just a different way of doing math! There ARE right and wrong answers to problems and I appreciate the fact that the broad knowledge base here doesn't let much bad information slip by without a correction. When there are many equally good ways to do something, you get it here. And when there are definitely wrong or even harmful ways to do something guys here will speak out and let it be known. I've been saved from some bad mistakes due to info I learned here. Hopefully I have been able to pass some good info along and help others too.

I'm sure there are many good rod building forums out and around, but my limited time means I can only really follow one. This one has been more than enough for me. It's informative, has info you can rely on and involves such a great number and variety of rod builders.

Posted by: Tom Nair (64.62.123.---)
Date: June 12, 2010 01:17PM

I just wish I could contribute half of what I have gained from this wonderfull forum. I am on rod number nine. I like to help when I can with the first time builders. This site will be around many years to come i'm sure. Thanks so much Tom for all your work.

Posted by: Marco Antonio (---.cpe.vivax.com.br)
Date: June 12, 2010 05:40PM

No words to say what I think of this forum. only one thing I can say, that much I know today I credit this forum for everything I could in my country.
Thanks Tom and all friends of the forum

Congratulations! will further nine years for us

Marco

Marco Antonio (São Paulo) ( Brasil)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2010 07:07PM by Marco Antonio.

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: June 12, 2010 10:58PM

Thank you Tom for getting this going, and thank you to all that have helped me to get to where I'm at. What really make this forum is the poeple that are so willing to help out regardless of how simple the questions may be, or how many times the subject has been beat into the ground. I'm checking post's at leat 4 times a day. Thanks fo all of you!!

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster