I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gel pens for signatures
Posted by: Bob Mallet (---.resC106.jtibs.net)
Date: June 10, 2010 08:31PM

Gents.
Just finished a surf rod for a 21st birthday gift and the owner wants me to put his name on it, someone suggested doing it with a gel pen, what do you after that to seal it in, I tried a test left the gel pensignature for 24 hrs then tried to cover it with 2 part but it
had not dried..... how do you guys do it!!

regards,
Bob Mallet.

Bob in Jersey, A stone's throw from france

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gel pens for signatures
Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2010 08:45PM

Check out the Mudhole tutorial on their website. That method works great!

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Date: June 10, 2010 08:56PM

George.
Can you give me a hint as to where on their site!!......
regards,
Bob.

Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 10, 2010 09:23PM

This is something I get right every time. Get a sanford uniball gel pen in medium. do your insription. If you screw up wipe off with acetone and try again. no stress here. let it dry for ten minutes. After that spray over the inscription with krylon fix a tiff. I use cardboard or something to cover the rest of the blank section so it does not get sprayed. This seals the inscription. Then just epoxy with you favorite finish. Thats all folks.

Date: June 10, 2010 09:42PM

Gents.
Sorry it's 2.30am over here in the UK, would any gel pen work as Sandford does not seem to be available over here and it would take the best part of a week to get one from the US.

regards,
Bob.

Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 11, 2010 12:24AM

I would pick up a couple of different gel pens and follow my instructions and see what results you get. You can try anything before you seal it with fix a tiff.

Posted by: David Andress (---.sunbeltrentals.com)
Date: June 11, 2010 07:33AM

I found this link for some neat gel pens .
[www.jetpens.com]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 11, 2010 07:46AM

I use the Pentel Hybrid gel roller
I fine scoff the area with a pad-for grip- then put 1/4" tape under the words for a straight line. When done a hair dryer is applied several times, then one or two dry coats of clear spray lacquer. Let dry then finish

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Alfonso Uy (---.home.cgocable.net)
Date: June 11, 2010 09:46AM

You can use a STAEDTLER Mars Matic Technical Pen (#700) with Mars Matic Drawing White Ink (#745-0 Opaque White). I live in Canada but I bought my pen and ink from this website: www.mypenshop.com. I think they are in the U.K. I use the 0.18mm tip but it's hard to clean. The 0.25mm is supposedly easier to keep clean.

Or you can use a caligraphy pen with Testors paint. I like the stiff pen tips better when writing on rod blanks:
Hunt 512 (Bowl Pointed) - for my thick letters
Hunt 102 (Crow Quill) or Hunt 107 (Hawk Quill) - my medium letterings
Hunt 104 - thin letterings
Experiment with different tips to find out what you like best.

Date: June 11, 2010 07:25PM

Gents.
Many thanks for your help, got a selection of gel pens to try but had to order the fixatif, aaaah!! the glories of living on an Island.

Bob in Jersey (the other Jersey.. Bill)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 11, 2010 08:17PM

Bob it is so nice they made two LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 17, 2010 08:31PM

Barry in Jersey a stones trow from....NO WHERE!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster