I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Transition from the wrap to the blank
Posted by: Ken Tong (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: June 10, 2010 02:53AM

I know wraps need to be sealed completely to ensure that they are protected. However, this picture: [www.rodbuilding.org] looks better than this: [www.rodbuilding.org] to me...is the first completely sealed? It almost seems like it could allow moisture in...while the second picture seems to be completely sealed...but on bare graphite, I think the first method would look better...how does one seal the wrap without that slope of epoxy/finish to the blank?

ps. this is not to say the wrap in the second picture isn't good...I just like the way the first picture looks...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Transition from the wrap to the blank
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 10, 2010 08:43AM

For myself, I bring the epoxy to the blank to make sure things are sealed, just the way I was taught many years ago. Not saying the other way does not seal it completely, but I have seen rods I have repaired where there has been water get into the wraps I believe because the wrap was not completely sealed.

Posted by: Cheng Moua (---.mycingular.net)
Date: June 10, 2010 08:54AM

I myself finish the guides like the first pic. I add enough finish to cover up the threads - making sure there are no bubbles under the wraps - and sloping it onto the blank. Once the finish levels out, I go back and gently and carefully clean up the excess epoxy to give it that clean cut look. Haven't had any issues yet.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 10, 2010 09:32AM

A hand rest and a little higher speed on the wrapper will help to make the edges straighter. practice on some scrap to get the hang of it.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Charlie Armontrout (159.124.128.---)
Date: June 10, 2010 12:42PM

In my opinion, the threads are what do the work in keeping the guides where we want them and the epoxy is designed to protect the threads. Therefore, the epoxy should COVER the threads to properly protect them. Getting the taper from the thread to the blank is the art of the technique.

Finishing threadwork is somewhat like dealing with women, sometimes "pretty" is not alwayes the best, and of course ugly is never good!!

Cover the threads to properly protect your artwork.

Charlie

Posted by: Ron Osborne (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: June 10, 2010 01:18PM

I believe that the appearance on the first image was created by wrapping masking tape just past the end of the thread wrap before applying the finish. The masking tape was not removed until after the finish had dried. This tactic will give you the look you prefer and still ensure that the threads are protected.

Posted by: Ken Tong (---.mobile.mymmode.com)
Date: June 11, 2010 01:05PM

Thanks Ron.

Cheng, what do you use to remove the epoxy without spreading it around on the blank or disturbing the epoxy on the wrap?

Bill, I only have a 6rpm dryer...do you use a special tool or just a brush/mixing stick?

Thanks,
Ken

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 11, 2010 02:07PM

Any thing that your hand can rest on and make your hand steady. A piece of scrap blank cut to size ??

Try practicing on some scrap to get the hang of it.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Cheng Moua (---.mycingular.net)
Date: June 11, 2010 02:14PM

With a steady hand and the rod spinning on the dryer, I slowly clean up the excess with the corner of a clean cloth and DNA.

Posted by: Doug Cox (74.206.84.---)
Date: June 11, 2010 08:40PM

Holding a piece of thread at a angle while the rods turns is a great way to tidy up the edges of a wrap

Posted by: Ken Tong (---.mobile.mymmode.com)
Date: June 11, 2010 11:10PM

Doug, I tried that before, and it works well on glossy blanks...but the residue shows up on bare graphite blanks...

Posted by: Doug Cox (74.206.84.---)
Date: June 12, 2010 01:15PM

Wet part of the thread with alcohol and go from wet thread to dry thread in a slow motion---it will clean any residue off the blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster