I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Interesting line flow picture.
Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: May 21, 2010 02:45PM

I found a really interesting picture of line flowing out on what looks like a conventional baitcasting rod with progressive guide spacing.

[sports.espn.go.com]

It is interesting how the line comes straight off of each guide until it reaches the next guide which is smaller, then it has to make a turn to get down to the new guide size. The end result is a line path resembling a stair step pattern with the line having to make a hard turn at each guide. Seeing this should help validate those of us who have seen excellent performance with rods having a drastically reduced number of guide sizes on them including rods with only a single size guide for the entire length of the rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Interesting line flow picture.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 21, 2010 02:47PM

Fewer guide sizes results in a straighter and smoother line path.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 21, 2010 03:22PM

Very interesting - that must have been one high speed camera and film setting.

The cameraman was also very very lucky to catch it at that point.

I wish they would do a film loop in motion!

Instaneous straight line - no telling where it is in the next milisecond!

Mike why do you think you will never find the correct place for an open ended hook keeper in front of the seat!

Line wanders all over the the place on rods with larger guides!

This is what sells all on top all same size micro to anyone that has the chance to observe.!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2010 06:40PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: May 21, 2010 03:39PM

Yes, very interesting! Thanks for posting Mike!

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: May 21, 2010 03:44PM

I have had good luck putting open hook keepers in front of the reel by putting it as close to the reel as possible, I trim my reel seat threads to the minimum and put the keeper on with only about 1-2mm gap between the end and the reel seat. If it is a treble hook rod I put the keeper on top so the lure and hooks are on the same side as the reel and less likely to get hung up in the carpet, if it is a single hook rod I put the keeper on bottom so salt in the plastic bait or trailer isn’t in contact with the reel.

Date: May 21, 2010 04:14PM

Mike another thought - at this point no telling what guides are on the rod in the picture.

They now have everthing in the book - from all micro same size to - transition micro - to all six single foot on top - they are in a mad scramble to test stuff for their manufactures for final field test before ICAST.

Things are in transition!

This is going to be a fun ride for all custom builders that keep up with the times!

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: May 21, 2010 04:24PM

I stopped putting HKs in front of the reel seat once I had two spinnerbait rods break above the handle... both breaks were where the head of the spinnerbait sat against the blank.

I recommend all clients to hook to the top of the reel or have a split grip and put the hookkeep behind the handle. Another good reason for a split grip.

-----------------
AD

Date: May 21, 2010 05:31PM

Alex de Dman:

{ { Is this your Warranty Rider } }

Does your duly executed waiver of product liability protect you against consequential damages for any and all causes, whether directly or indirectly involved, related to personal injury and or death due to any and all causes including but not limted to penetration of a nasty hook when picking up the rods from the deck of a boat?

Friday Funnies Are Missing From Our World!

Posted by: Russell Brunt (12.77.249.---)
Date: May 21, 2010 05:37PM

In my area guys are unwilling to try something that doesn't look/feel "proper" for the intended job at hand. That is a nice pic to help convince folks that what "seems proper" just might be wrong.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 21, 2010 06:14PM

Looks to me like the guide ring size is good -- but it may have to be a higher frame ??

As the line comes off the real - it is rubbing on the TOP of the butt guide A little resistance and that is what happens ??

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2010 06:39PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 21, 2010 07:54PM

It is also possible that the picture was snapped at just the right moment of downward thrust and bait release.

So that what is actually being seen is the end of the billowing effect of wind resistance on the line during downward motion, at just the moment of thumb release, right before enough forward momentum of the bait has the chance to pull the line tight again.

Kind of how the wind catches a stack of sails and yet the mast is straight, with the sails being pulled back to the mast at each tie down point.

Posted by: Owen Dare (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: May 21, 2010 08:22PM

The water spray would indicate that the lure has already been cast (and probably landed) and that you are seeing over-run.
i.e the line is till travelling faster than the lure so it's piling up between the guides.
You'd probably see the same thing no matter what guides/spacing is used.

Posted by: Earl Hamilton (121.54.92.---)
Date: May 21, 2010 08:53PM

This is a very interesting picture. I blew it up on the computer to take a better look. It does indeed look as if this cast was caught imediately after the release as Steve Gardener describes. Further more, I think that the picture indicates as Bill Boettcher suggests that a taller guide frame could be beneficial. My own opinion would suggest to me that as well as a taller framed guide, the actual spacing of the guides could be improved. I also think that the Fuji "k" type guides especially the stripper, might help improve the line flow by allowing a less obtuse angle of between the braid and the guide. Just my gut feelings on this.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: May 21, 2010 11:06PM

Bill - just eliminating one potential issue (although see your point about creating #2).

-----------------
AD

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster