I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
idea for measuring flex coat
Posted by: Ken Tong (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: May 17, 2010 12:46PM

Hey,

Does anyone know if the hardener and the resin in flex coat light weigh the same? If so, why not get an accurate scale, and measure out the amount of flex coat based not on volume, but on weight...this would be much more accurate than eyeing the volume with the syringes...but, if the two parts don't weigh the same, I suppose this wouldn't work...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: idea for measuring flex coat
Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: May 17, 2010 12:51PM

That topic was covered pretty well...

[rodbuilding.org]

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 17, 2010 01:17PM

Ken

If you check out this board several times a week, give the posts here a glance, a lot of times you will see a question asked that answers yours.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 17, 2010 01:20PM

I did do a search of "flex coat weight" and got nothing...

Posted by: Justin Goodwin (---.chase.com)
Date: May 17, 2010 01:28PM

AND I QUOTE:

Re: Thread Master by weight
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 16, 2010 10:14PM

Epoxies are intended to be measured by volume, not weight.

Options: Reply•Quote•Follow Topic•Report
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 17, 2010 07:52AM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
I just spent $40 for a gram digital scale from West Marine to measure/weigh smaller portions of their (true) epoxy. They provide a pump to dispense epoxy at either 5 to one or 3 to one, depending which product and I am wasting epoxy. I have not tried it yet, however.
Perhaps a true epoxy's specific gravity is the same for resin and hardener - or - proportions are not that critical.
Herb

Date: April 17, 2010 08:21AM

You should measure by volume which the pumps are designed to do. If you use the scale, you will have problems. If you measure by weight, you'll quickly find out what wasting epoxy is really all about, not to mention the time and effort wasted along with it.

Most epoxies are a 2 to 1 ratio mix. Fillers are added to make some, such as our rod building epoxies, a 1 to 1 ratio mix for simplicity.

Again, measure by volume not weight, at whatever ratio the manufacturer recommends.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2010 11:05AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Epoxies are intended to be measured by volume, not
> weight.
>
> .................
Why in the world can't epoxies be measured by weight? This is often repeated around here and I have no idea why. Surely the weights of the two parts aren't that inconsistent.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2010 12:23PM

I just weighed a full bottle of resin and a full bottle of hardener. Granted, it is not a a very accurate assessment, but it seems that resin is considerably heavier than hardener.
Combine that with the fact that syringes are neat, quick and easy, I would not be tempted to use a scale.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Date: April 17, 2010 12:39PM

they are a 1 -1 ratio. that is why your stuff is not drying It Is Just Not The Way To Do It.

Bill - Willie Rods- Jersey

Date: May 17, 2010 01:44PM

I did read the link that was provided...and prior to my post, searching for "flex coat weight" resulted in nothing...I don't use threadmaster...and did not search for "threadmaster weight", so I did not find that thread...

I always do a search before I ask a question, but I cannot control the results I get, or the fact that content I am looking for might be under a different subject, or different product name...

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: May 17, 2010 01:50PM

For searches, most of the time it is best not to get to detailed on what words toy search. You get too specific it will not find much.

Date: May 17, 2010 02:01PM

Mixing by weight - JUST DOES NOT WORK. Better with the syringes. By volume.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 17, 2010 02:23PM

They do not weigh the same. The manufacturers have taken great pains to ensure that mixing by volume, 1:1, will ensure perfect results. It's not hard to do and thus there is little reason to try and solve a problem that does not exist.

Posted by: Todd Badgley (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2010 03:08PM

Tom -

I'm thinking of weighing my epoxy. I want to use Threadmaster resin and Flexcoat lite hardener. But, I want to be able to take a break after mixing the epoxy so I plan to put them in my refrigerator in the garage. Then I want to use a small torch to heat it back up before applying it to my 1 rod. Now, my question is what should I do with the bubbles and the color of my thread (I bought on sale because it was very old) is not the proper hue I wanted. It's more magenta than pinkish-purple. I'm stumped - Can't these crazy manufacturer's make a product just for me!!!

Waiting for your answer sitting at my dryer watching the finish dry................

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2010 03:29PM

Todd,

Take your break prior to mixing and you won't need (and shouldn't anyway) refrigerate then heat the mix. I think your just asking for trouble by trying to solve a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place.

For the right amount of monitary compensation, I'm sure any crazy manufacturer would be happy to make a product "just for you" too!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2010 03:43PM

Ken,
The easiest way that I have found to measure epoxy finish is to use the Flex Coat pumps. I have had a set of pumps for over five years and they have not failed me. Once in a while I will check prime them by using the plunger a couple of times and then pouring the primed epoxy back into its respective bottle. I normally use three pump fulls of the resin and hardener for a small job and more for a larger one. I stopped using syringes once I got on the pumps which are available, by the way, from Binghams Enterprise.

Date: May 17, 2010 03:53PM

Wow...I ask a simple question, one which I was not able to find when I searched for the answer using the product I am asking about, and I got two helpful responses, Chad, who showed me where I could find related information, and Tom, who gave me the answer I was looking for...

The rest of you were not helpful...just saying, "look harder", "search better", or reiterating information already provided does not help...and trolls and those who encourage them are definitely not helping...

I was under the impression that this board existed to help others...and now those who had the same question I did, will have a thread from which to find the answer...though they will leave the thread thinking that a lot of people here aren't that helpful...

Date: May 17, 2010 03:55PM

Sorry Ellis, didn't read your post before I posted the last one...that is some helpful information...thanks!

Date: May 17, 2010 04:14PM

Todd,

I'll take your question as tongue in cheek, but just in case - dump the epoxy. Now, go to your local hardware store and buy a can of exterior grade urethane, clear gloss. Apply 3 coats about an hour apart and be done. Seriously, this gives better results that you might think and allows you to dispense with torches, freezers, scales, etc.

I can't really help you on the thread color. But I suspect you already knew that.

Ken,

I don't find the search feature of this particular software version to be extremely good nor easy to use. I'm hoping that with the next upgrade it will be vastly improved. We'll see.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 17, 2010 08:15PM

Todd

I really enjoyed your post. Anyone who didn't see the Toungue in cheek humor needs to lighten up and reread it. Good going! It also applies to a lot of other posts on many boards.

Kerry

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2010 09:34PM

Todd, I thought Mike Joyce was using an alias!!

Ken, Don`t let a few posts get you discouraged. There are plenty of helpful builders on this board that will answer your question no matter how many times it was asked. Sometimes a there are different answers when asked again . Ask away, I agree it seemed like an attack rather than a friendly reminder that the search feature was available. Lets try to be a little less harsh .

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2010 10:43PM

Ken,
I assume that you or your associate have an accurate scale.

Flex coat as well as many other epoxys and finishes are designed by the manufacturer to be used at a 1:1 volume rating.

Having said that it is very easy to make the appropriate conversion formula to use weight to measure the epoxy rather than volume.

Simply take a new container pair of part A and part B of the epoxy or finish.
Take your very accurate scale and measure the exact weight of a fully filled container part A
Take your very accurate scale and measure the exact weight of a fully filled container of the same size that you measured of part A =- for part B

Now, simply use basic math to figure the weight difference and calculate the % difference in weight required to end up with the same volume of material by using weight.

Basic mathematics.

Essentially - either part A will be lighter than part B, or part B will be lighter than part A or they will have equal weight.

Depending on the outcome of the weighin results - use a % correction factor when using a scale to weigh finish for mixing.

Take care
Roger

Date: May 17, 2010 10:47PM

For example here is a guide from West systems on the use of their products.

[www.epoxyworks.com]

If you scroll down, the document gives you a chart for mixing - both by volume -- (the generally used method) or by weight.

Both work equally well, it is just a matter of personal preference and facilities on hand.

Take care
REW

Date: May 17, 2010 10:56PM

Although you can easily use weight to dispense epoxy or finish, you are likely to have more waste than if you use either a syringe or a pump.
In the case of either the syringes or the pumps, you literally never have to clean them.
Simply suck up the appropriate amount of each amount that you need by the use of part a syringe or part b syringe. and dispense. Wipe off the tip with a paper towel and you are done.
Nothing to clean.

In the case of the pumps, the same thing. With both pumps fully primed, simply fully depress each of the pumps the same number of times and mix and you are done.

Nothing to clean, no waste.

Take care
Roger

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster