I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

hit a road to park falls wi
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: May 17, 2010 11:53AM

I'm headin up to park falls wi and go to st. croix factory and i'm going to be trying to get some good information from them about the blank and the supplies that they will able to show me and i might buy somethings there for half off than regular prices on rod blanks
i'm only about less 2 hr from factory so i'm going to take a enjoy the day at st. croix and hope to get a decent prices on st. criox ...
will update when get back home from trip...
Josh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hit a road to park falls wi
Posted by: Jason Wenzel (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: May 17, 2010 01:49PM

They do have a barrel full of cheap blanks. They seem to be the stuff that doesn't sell too well, but you might be able to find something. I haven't been there in awhile but they used to have the big spools of thread for $5.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: May 17, 2010 02:41PM

St Croix stopped selling their seconds to rodbuilders a few years ago after they started showing up on a popular online @#$%& site. You more than likely won't be buying brand new blanks at 1/2 price... You will find a nice tackle shop with fully new warranted rods as well as seconds/returned rods that have been rehabbed. If you are lucky you will find some 1/2 off blanks in a barrel - last time I was there it was old SC3 5'6" MH action blanks and some 4-5 pc SCIV fly blanks. Not a great selection. But last year or the year before when they moved the SC3 line over to the new blanks, they closed out all the old ones - I bought a bunch at 1/2 off. Occasionally you will find closeout cork, thread, guides, etc. What I'm saying is - don't expect to hit the motherlode! But, it's a nice visit, and if you ask they should let you check out the back room area - that's worth the trip in itself.

Posted by: Todd Badgley (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2010 02:54PM

I would think spending half a day with Jason getting all the knowledge from the actual blank designer would be worth a lot more than a 1/2 off barrel. I've been impressed with St Croix for a while now. Was lucky enough to meet Jason in High Point this year. Pretty sharp engineer and a good product.

Oh yeah, I got some cheap stuff there, too.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: May 17, 2010 07:57PM

just got home from park falls and i has blast day there today and i enjoy look at all st. croix rods and the blanks and just FYI that st. croiz still sell a full line of flexcoat supplies but they dont sell any thread anymoe so i just buy 4 st. croix handle kit and 4 of flexcoat finish coat, and talk to them about if st. criox would ever make a new bass models in 7 1/2 to 8 footer crankbaits on all of models and they say they are work on to build more new models and i cant wait to get back next time and see if any 7 1/2 and 8 foooter crankbait rods and blank
i might will go back this saturday with friend cos i just see some of sctrach paint on finish rd for half off on legend bass rods but i'm talk to friend to see if he want to get some if he do we are go back this weekend hope so...

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2010 10:49PM

Josh,
Whether you purchase anything at the factory or not, it is certainly a great place to visit.

Take some time and spend a few days in the area. A very great place to do some camping and sightseeing.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: MaryLou VandeRiet (---.mesh.net)
Date: May 19, 2010 06:24PM

And.....if you go 60 miles north of Park Falls, you will be on the shoreline of Lake Superior !!!....

ML~~

Posted by: Bob Meyer (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: June 07, 2010 10:30PM

It is a real shame that you can no longer get blemished blanks from them. I used to stop every year on the way North during deer hunting season - it was better than the hunting! Too bad one or two idiots ruin it for the rest of us. It is still a great company, and the customer service is excellent!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster