I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

6/7 weight flyrod moderately priced blanks
Posted by: Tim Kelly (---.38.103-23.newsouth.net)
Date: May 11, 2010 03:35PM

I need to build my neighbor a flyrod, he's a college kid and strapped for cash but I'd like to build him a nice rod for not much money. Probably looking to spend $60-$70 on a 8'6", 2 piece 6/7 weight blank. He needs a rod that will work for bass & trout, my preference is for a blank similar to the old Lamiglas Perigee, olive gold flake finished blank but a nice looking green/olive blank would work also. Any Perigee blanks still left anywhere? Any ideas on nice casting good quality blanks? IM6 and/or IM7?
Thanks,

Tim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2010 03:37PM by Tim Kelly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 6/7 weight flyrod moderately priced blanks
Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 11, 2010 04:19PM

In my opinion, the best, let me see, how can I say this, "blank that costs less than a fortune" is the Sevier Tiger Eye. I think you can pick up a 2 piece 8'6", 6/7 for about $30. They are no longer a sponser on this board. Two other options that are a little more expensive are the American Tackle Matrix and the Rainshadow RX7. Both should come at about $50. I think Schneiders Rod Shop carries all three brands, so you can compare prices there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2010 04:30PM by Bob Riggins.

Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: May 11, 2010 04:42PM

Be careful not to call those Tiger Eye blanks a good "value"... you know where that leads! Seriously, the Rainshadow line should be able to accommodate you. Your problem is going to be finding the exact color you need. Why not select based on performance and price and then use your thread wraps to achieve the desired color effect.

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 11, 2010 05:50PM

All very good blanks above!! I'm gonna add one more........I seem to be one of the only ones here that has a love affair with the PacBay Rainforest II blanks. I can cast them a mile, they load nicely, and have as fast or a faster tip than the others. Just my .02 cents though. I don't think they get due respect.

Posted by: joseph arvay (---.sub-75-205-244.myvzw.com)
Date: May 12, 2010 02:53AM

Although I built a spinning rod on a Rainforest 9'/8wt blank, I'll second Larry Damore's suggestion of them. Few years on it and it's a darn nice rod, may build another on PB Rainforest series in the future.

Nice quality relative some of the Big Name blanks out there, the ferrule fit was perfect and didn't need to mess with the male end for irregularities. Butt trimmed nicely, didn't need to work on it. Probably the straightest blank I have built on yet which was a nice surprise for the price.

For the price range stated in the first post, it's worth looking into the Rainforest series.

Posted by: Harold Dean (---.client.eng.telusmobility.com)
Date: May 12, 2010 10:22AM

Check out Batson blanks. I have built a lot of fly rods on them and have never had an issue. As far as bang for your buck goes, you can't beat them.

No I'm not affilitated with them, I'm just an everyday builder.

Harold

Posted by: Tim Kelly (---.38.103-23.newsouth.net)
Date: May 12, 2010 12:55PM

Okay, I'll checkout some of these options and let you all know what I decide on. Your help is appreciated!

Tim

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: May 13, 2010 11:39AM

This should put you very close to your price range.

F866-2
Forecast RX6 Fly Rod Blanks

Component Part Number Part Description
Rod Blank Model # F866-2DB 8'6" 2 pc 6wt Travel Fly Rod - Dark Blue
Butt cap: n/a
Reel Seat: U3SKC-SG with U3-RI #U3 Uplocking Shiney Gunsmoke Skeleton with Cap-with Stabilized Wood Rosewood Laminate
Reel Seat Shim: n/a
Grip: FRHW7CA-250/760 7" Fly Grip .250 bore/.760 Reel Seat Cutout "A" Grade Cork
Winding Check: BWC08 Black PVC/Rubber Winding Check .300" I.D.
Hookeeper: HKS Small Stainless Steel Hook Keeper
Tip Top HFT5.5 Super Hard Chrome Fly Top 5.5 Tube
Guides (see below for size and quantity) HSFGP Single Foot Fly Guide Super Hard Chrome
Guides (see below for size and quantity) LTCUDUG UD guide with Light PVD TiCH Plating with PDV Blue TiO Coated Zirconium Ring

Guide order from the tip top Guide Guide Placement - In inches from the tip top
1st HSFGP3 4"
2nd HSFGP3 9"
3rd HSFGP3 15"
4th HSFGP3 22"
5th HSFGP4 30"
6th HSFGP4 39"
7th HSFGP4 49.5"
8th HSFGP4 60"
9th LTCUDUG12 72"

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster