I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod question
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: April 26, 2010 02:27PM

I (think I) know that for the smallest and most delicate flys you would want a 1-3 weight. I know as the flys get bigger and more wind resistant ,and the conditions more windy, you need to step up in size. It goes without saying that if the fish gets big enough you need something with the back bone to handle him.

But what about the other side of it? What happens if you have a 12 weigth and want to cast something normally fished on an 8 weight? Does it become a matter of the line over powering the fly to such an extent the line slaps down on the water and ruins the presentation? I would imagine there is a range one could get away with. In short will a 12 weight let you cast something suitable for redfish. I understand my shoulder might not like it and the fight won't be as fun but what range can I cast?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod question
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.250.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: April 26, 2010 02:36PM

A 12 or 14 foot leader puts enough distance between fly and line so a heavy rod can effectively fish a small fly, but it's a lot like hauling around a box of tissues in your turbocharged diesel one ton dualie.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 26, 2010 02:39PM

Fly fishermen have long argued about whether you should chose a rod based on the size fly you intend to cast or the size fish you intend (hope) to catch. There is no right nor wrong answer. You just have to figure out what your priority is.

You can certainly throw a small fly on a heavier line. If you size your leader/tipper correctly and have reasonable decent casting skills, there is little downside to this scenario. No - the line won't "slap" down on the water unless you make it do that. Conversely, it's hard to throw a large, buggy, air resistant fly on a very light line.

My personal preference is to size the rod to the fish I plan to do battle with and line it for the range I plan to fish. If I plan to throw such a big or buggy fly that I need more line weight, I'll up-line or move to a heavier rod/line combination.

What are you fishing for? Where? A little more information and maybe we can be of more help.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: April 26, 2010 02:58PM

How about a switch rod that would allow you to use a double handed overhead cast if your shoulder is a concer? With a shooting head you would be suprised what you can toss on a fly rod.

Date: April 26, 2010 03:14PM

Tom, I bought the blank as a closeout. I felt it was too good of a deal to pass up. I do live in an area that has big tarpon and permit as well as sails and marlins. So I could have use for such a beast. On the other hand I have no immediate plans to fly fish as I don't have a suitable reel and have never fished the flats in the keys. For that matter I have never fished a fly rod in salt water and big tarpon probably aren't the right fish to start with.

I'm looking into the feasibility of adding an extension and fishing it as a spinning rod but preserving the ability to use it as a 12 wt. for tarpon and such at a latter date. So I don't really have much info to supply.

Mostly it was a question I felt I didn't have an answer for. I could see with the winds we have down here and the big streamers (etc) used it might not be all that much of an overkill for something like permit.

It doesn't strike me as all that powerful of a rod. A little less power than the "3" power hot shot (HS1023F) and a little slower (more parabolic). Nice blank though...very light in weight.... but I was expecting something a bit faster and more powerful. Point is it isn't such a beast than you couldn't have fun with a big bonefish (10#+). A 80# sail would be fine but I can't see a 300# marlin.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 26, 2010 03:33PM

If you plan to fish with a 1-3 wt fly rod for Tarpon - forget it. That rod will make a nice crappy, panfish , trout rod . Any thing larger as in your last post no.

Do a Google Search for - Fishing for tarpon - and you will get a lot of suggestions on the size of fly rods to use.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ed Long (---.ellijay.com)
Date: April 26, 2010 06:41PM

In fly fishing ,you are casting the line and the fly ,or lure ,goes along for the ride .With conventional or spinning rods you are casting the lure and the line is carried along for the ride. A 12 wt.rod is intended to cast the weight of a 12 wt. line. You can cast any fly with your 12 wt. from the lightest to the heaviest so ,yes ,you can use it for reds,snook,permit ,tarpon,sails ,sharks,or whatever. Yes, it will be more tiring to make repeated casts than a lighter weight rod. I would say build it out ,put an 11/12 reel and 12wt.line on it and have fun with it or sell it or both.

Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.dsl.wacotx.swbell.net)
Date: April 27, 2010 09:22AM

"For that matter I have never fished a fly rod in salt water"

You have just stumbled onto one of the greatest things life has to offer!!!!

Date: April 27, 2010 10:48AM

Thanks guys. Good to know a 12 weight line won't "over power" a smaller offering.

Ed, you are right. I should pick up a fly reel and give it a try. Is there any such thing as a good reasonable priced reel? When I looked many years ago 3M seemed the best bet. I'd imagine other names have come along over the years.

Keith, I did enjoy it a lot for fresh water fishing and found it very productive. I suppose I need to invest in a class or some books. Pretty sad comment from someone who has fished for so many years. But hey, the fly fishing crowd has always been exclusive.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 27, 2010 10:53AM

Pfleuger Trion is a super buy for a quality reel at an affordable price. A 12-weight rod is not something you want to cast repeatedly all day long. It's a task specific rod in most instances. So don't get discouraged if you find it tiring. There are plenty of good fly rod blanks suitable for run of the mill saltwater fly fishing in the 7 to 10-weight range that will be a lot easier on you over the course of a long day.

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.dr02.shlw.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 27, 2010 11:21AM

Totally agree with the Trion suggestion. You can find them on troutlet.com for $112 for all sizes but the biggest, which is $132
[www.troutlet.com]

Never done this before. Hope it is ok to post a link to a non-sponsor.

If not, please remove it, or if someone informs me I will edit it out.

oh...the Albright closeout reel probably work too. $80.
[www.albrightflyfish.com]

Jim

Date: April 27, 2010 04:42PM

I have three flyfishing friends who have undergone surgery to repair rotator cuffs which "acted up" after an extended fly casting session.
Each of these unfortunate sessions involved a 12 weight rod and line. I'm guessing readers of this site have friends with similar experiences.
Perhaps the readers were unfortunate enough to have suffered such a problem themselves?

Date: April 27, 2010 04:43PM

I have three flyfishing friends who have undergone surgery to repair rotator cuffs which "acted up" after an extended fly casting session.
Each of these unfortunate sessions involved a 12 weight rod and line. I'm guessing readers of this site have friends with similar experiences.
Perhaps the readers were unfortunate enough to have suffered such a problem themselves?

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.dr02.shlw.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 27, 2010 07:16PM

I agree with Mr. Viburs. Suggest you consider a two hander. Not as hard on the shoulders. Perfect timeing. Albright has 13', 14', and a 15' two handed rod on sale. You can purchase either one of the three for $80. Perhaps the 8/9 with their GP reel.....I have no stake in Albright at all. But I don't think you can buy components and build a single hand rod for $80. These are "two handed" rods already assembled and come in a cloth covered tube. Get both a rod and reel for $160. Probably at that price get free shipping. I got a free 9'-6wt fly rod and free shipping......I think. I may be remembering wrong. Check out the price of two handed rods. You may then think Albright is a nice deal.

repeat...I have no connections with Albright. Just very difficult to overlook those prices. And from what I have read a two hander is much easier on the body and shoulders.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster