I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Rod Build - Need some input from the experts
Posted by: Mike Manolis (---.ncas.com)
Date: April 26, 2010 02:22PM

Well i was on Flea Bay and found an Avet SX 5.3 for $140 new in box. Could not pass that up so I'm building a new rod to go with it now.

So here is the deal. I have an old St Croix musky rod i built 10 years ago for Tarpon. Its a SCII 7' 20-50lb 3/4 - 3oz blank. I have stripped the the rod to the blank and plan on building a new rod with this. This blank has plenty of backbone and is very stiff.

This will be my Med - Heavy Kayak conventional rod. I plan on using it for live bait and trolling in the Chesapeake Bay.

Questions.
1. Seeing the blank is very stiff will this pose any issues trolling or live lining?
2. I was planning to spiral wrap this rod. I have never built a spiral wrapped rod before. I fished up the following layout here and plan to use this as a template.

8 Guides

Guide # - Size - Rotation From top of reel Seat
1 - 10 - 180
2 - 10 - 180
3 - 10 - 180
4 - 10 - 180
5 - 10 - 180
6 - 12 - 175
7 - 16 - 145
8 - 20 - 20

3. Will 3 guides cover the line transition from 0 to 180?
4. Will the stiffness of the blank alter the placement of the transition guides?
5. I will be using 30lb power pro on the reel. Should i add a mono top shot to help add a little give? I'm worried the stiffness of the blank and properties of braid will have negative effects while trolling or live lining.

Any input or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Rod Build - Need some input from the experts
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: April 26, 2010 02:39PM

FWIW avets are on sale this month. I think the SX should be fished with no more drag than what one would use for 20# test. If you push it they will eat pinion bearings. I think that blank is too stiff for that reel. Too bad you aren't closer. I'd like that blank for a bottom fishing rod and have some live bait blanks that I think would suit your needs.

Take a look at the rainshadow rclb70L or rclb80L. Good value with a soft enough tip for live bait and enough backbone for trolling.

That blank would probably be about right for tog or cod. I want one for mutton snapper. I like the spiral wrap. I used all #8's on the bottom, a #10 fly rod guide at 90 degrees, and something near a 16 as a butt guide. Reel was a little smaller, penn 525 mag.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster