I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Ultrathin solid-carbon searches micro guides
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: April 23, 2010 07:46AM

Again you use the word ALL.

On the rods I sell the guide I call a MICRO guide IS the proper size. I am not interested in OTHER rods.

I am simple minded enough to prepare appropriate marketing materials for the custom rods which are specific to the market served. At present, the micro market is a "market with exclusivity". The word "micro" allows custom builders to obtain a larger share of the the production rod market share. This is an opportunity for custom builders who desire an edge when competing with those who attempt to sell ONE rod to ALL

I expect your next reply will detail the harm done by the "bad micros"!

Instead of the bad ones being harmful to my sales I will say Goody Goody Goody More For Me! Bad micro rods will not harm any custom builder who is presently successfully participating in the micro market.

Can we agree that the $ 9.95 Harbor Freight Digital Scale is appropriate enough for Bill Boetchers validation of the weight issue. I sure would like to see a long term user of this forum take the plunge and at least give the micros a try. His flat out admission that he has not tried them is due to all the confusing information posted on this Forum. I suspect Bill B. is not alone. I doubt or many of the users of this forum will spend $200 for a jewelers scale.

Gon Wrapin

IM DUN!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: April 23, 2010 09:03AM

I don’t think anyone believes that a Ti frame #6 guide is even close to the weight of a micro guide, the only confusion is the different results some have seen with Minima guides, I would still like to see their actual numbers. A curse of designing things for a living is everything I look at I spend a lot of time trying to decipher how it was designed and what the goals of the designer were. I have examined the Minima guides very closely under magnification and I can’t see where they could be lighter than a ceramic ring guide that is half its physical size. If you allow that the frames are equal and only compare rings the Minima rings are much thinner, but they are also much larger in diameter, but the real killer is that they are made from stainless steel which weighs 8 g/cm³ compared to silicon carbide which weighs 3.2 g/cm³. I plan on getting some more Minima guides for a rod I need to build for a 12 year old and need maximum durability, when I have them I will carefully measure and reverse engineer them in CAD. Once I have both guides modeled I can make small variations and see the effect with almost infinite resolution and sensitivity.

Date: April 23, 2010 11:30AM

Wait a few days Mike - maybe Pac Bay will announce they are also participating in the micro market.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 23, 2010 12:27PM

The Amtek also come in Ti Micro in # 3's.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Alex Kulinsky (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: April 23, 2010 12:54PM

For sure micro guides are not useful on each typ of rod, in turn they afford no drawback in some catgories. Most know the advantages.
But theres another question for me, for example, i´m planning to use 2.5er MKSG for that solid-carbon blank, but i guess theres no tip following these guides. Whats the solution here?

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: April 23, 2010 01:26PM

Fuji has some very small plastic framed tips that may work for you.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I wouldn’t recommend wrapping a micro guide on as a tip, I have done several that way and the results were not very good, every one I have cut off and replaced with a BMCAT tip and transformed a poor performing rod into a fantastic rod.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: April 23, 2010 01:33PM

> On the rods I sell the guide I call a MICRO guide
> IS the proper size. I am not interested in OTHER
> rods.
>
>

So, on the rods you sell you use the smallest guide that will still do the required job. But what about OTHER rods? That statement works for ALL rods. Telling someone they should use micro guides will NOT work for all rods. The smallest guide that will still do the required job IS always the right size. A Micro guide is NOT always the right size.

Date: April 23, 2010 02:24PM

Peter You Are The Man!

You Win!

Have Fun Building Rods for All!

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: April 23, 2010 04:12PM

Please provide links to:

- manufacturers and distrributors selling guides as the "smallest guides for the job"
- prominent forum boards and fishing news websites, including ESPN, promoting the new "smallest guides possible for the job"
- the production companies touting rods using the "smallest guides possible for the job"

If the links violate posting rules, my email is unhidden.

I was thinking that maybe there was a difference in how you talk to rodbuilders and buying customers, but if so, why would manufacturers and parts distributors here distiguish them as micro guides? Here's an example: [www.mudhole.com] - the page header even says "Micro Guides & Tops"!

-----------------
AD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2010 04:12PM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Posted by: Alex Kulinsky (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: April 26, 2010 10:28AM

Found a Fuji T-LFST, but the lowest ID is 1.2mm, AD is 1.43mm. Is there any possibility to enlarge the tube WITHOUT splitting it?

[www.fujitackle.com]

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster