I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod for Redfish
Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2010 08:37AM

What would be an ideal flats fly rod for Florida redfish in the 5 to 7 pound range? Better to stick with 9' or 10' ? What would be a good all around weight ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod for Redfish
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2010 08:42AM

This is pretty subjective but if it were me, I'd use a 9 foot, 7-weight rod. Perhaps an 8-weight at the outside.

I'm sure there would be some advantages in going with a 10 footer, but for me the additional length and the line weight involved tends to be more tiring over the course of a day's fishing. That's why I tend to stick to 9 feet maximum for this type fishing.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 22, 2010 08:53AM

Most of my fishing is inshore snook and redfish. The standard rod for this type fishing is a 9 foot, 8wt. I like the 8wt over the 7wt due to wind conditions you encounter on the flats, but on calm days I will often go down to a 6wt. My two favorite blanks are the Batson RX 8+ and the less expensive RX 8. I lean toward medium fast to fast action rods with backbone. In my opinion, you gain nothing going to a 10 foot rod other than a tired shoulder.

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2010 09:08AM

Bob Riggins Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most of my fishing is inshore snook and redfish.
> The standard rod for this type fishing is a 9
> foot, 8wt. I like the 8wt over the 7wt due to
> wind conditions you encounter on the flats, but on
> calm days I will often go down to a 6wt. My two
> favorite blanks are the Batson RX 8+ and the less
> expensive RX 8. I lean toward medium fast to fast
> action rods with backbone. In my opinion, you
> gain nothing going to a 10 foot rod other than a
> tired shoulder.

Of the two blanks wich one do you find to be faster? I've really been falling in love with the new Rainforest II blanks lately. I built an 8wt a while back that is a real cannon. I'm not the best caster in the world but I can nail 95 to 100 feet in a breeze with these. How do the RX8+ and RX8 compare? Have you tried the CTS blanks yet?

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2010 09:10AM

I use the exact same blank as Bob for freshwater bonefish rods. I've even built it in a 7wt and used a 8 wt line.
single foot guides also.

Posted by: Mike Carter (---.104.97.esconett.org)
Date: April 22, 2010 09:21AM

Here in the Lower Laguna Madre, TX I use a Dan Craft FT 5wt most mornings lined with 6wt line, 7wt lined with 8wt when the wind is blowing.

The Dan Craft's can fire line through the wind and have plenty of power deep in the rod when you got your drag wrenched up.

Built mine with single foot wire guides all the way, exept for stripper, realized having a clean line is more important than guide type. Fishing the sand and mud flats can dirty your line, along with the use of a stripping basket, casting to the backing is no problem.

Date: April 22, 2010 09:27AM

The RX 8 is the faster of the two. It is more raw power and has a slightly stiff feel. The RX 8+ is much more sophisticated. It is fast action, but has a deceptively smooth feel and is lighter. Of course, it costs about twice as much as the RX8. As far as "feel", I would probably put the Rainshadow II somewhere between the two, but in actuality, I think both of the RX blanks are faster. I have not cast a CTS.

Posted by: David Spence (---.nccourts.org)
Date: April 22, 2010 10:02AM

I fish the flats for tailing reds often and also blind cast anywhere in the salt. I have at least 10 8-weight rods in all configurations. Last year I built on a 9-foot, cobalt blue, Fishcreek 8-weight blank and I also built a matching rod for a friend in SC. We fished the flats last summer in SC with these rods and found that these rods are not only beautiful but they are also absolute cannons. At $100 bucks, they are a steal. You won't be dissapointed. David Spence, Cape Custom Rods, Beaufort, NC

Date: April 22, 2010 02:02PM

I'm not familiar with Fishcreek blanks. Where do they come from and who makes them?

Posted by: Jim Gamble (207.59.169.---)
Date: April 22, 2010 02:21PM

9'0" 7wt ... St Croix 42F907.4.

Posted by: David Spence (204.152.2.---)
Date: April 22, 2010 02:53PM

FishCreek blanks are sold by Scott Parsons at Fish-Sticks-a board sponsor at the left.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: April 23, 2010 03:41PM

i have many 8wts and that is my all around rod for the coast. i like the 8wt as the all around to handle wind and the flies i use. i have dan craft, st croix, fish creek, and even have one of the new mhx blanks that will be available soon. they are all good blanks that i recommend. i have cast may others and the batson lines are very good as well as CTS. the fish creek blanks are a great deal for the money and i dont think you would be dissapointed, but all of these are very nice

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 23, 2010 11:53PM

I'm not sure where in Florida you plan to fish for reds, but in my area (Space Coast), the reds run a whole lot larger than that. While you can try to target slot-sized fish, we see lots of schools of reds in the 20-40 lb class on the flats. That would be Mosquito Lagoon, the Indian River and the Banana River.
Must of the flats guides who have me build fly rods for them are getting 9' for either 9 or 10 wt line.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster