I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stand alone trim bands
Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 14, 2010 09:46PM

I can handle trim wraps when adding them to another wrap but have real trouble just doing a stand alone trim wrap as used in the signature area. I lay in my pull thru loop befor I start the wrap but they always seem to be to thick. Eight to twelve wraps so I have enough area for the pull thru. If it is to thin it unravels on the pull thru. How to you guys do it. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stand alone trim bands
Posted by: Victor Heal (---.gdrpmi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 14, 2010 10:01PM

Wrap it thicker than you want then go back and unwrap it a few turns. Leave both ends long and pull them tight at the end and trim them off.
I am sure there is an easier way, that just works for me.
Vic

Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 14, 2010 10:16PM

so how do you burry the tag ends. If you just cut them off you are left with fuzzy nubs, right?

Posted by: Ben Hutton (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 14, 2010 10:20PM

There is a good article in the library about narrow trim bands that you should read. The technique is fairly simple with a little practice. Basically, you lay your index finger against the blank (fingernail side down) and lay a length of thread on top of your finger. Next, pinch the thread with your thumb, make 2-4 wraps around your finger and run the tag end back through the loops. Once this is complete, carefully remove your finger and pull both ends of the thread to tighten the loop. Make sure that your loops do not overlap when you tighten them. Finally, cut the thread by pressing against it with a razor blade as close to the wrap as possible.

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.gdrpmi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 14, 2010 10:21PM

If you pull it towards the center of the wrap as you cut it will slide under. If you have fuzzies you can cut them off after the first coat of finish.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2010 01:20AM

When I want to make a stand alone trim wrap, I start by taping down my tie off loop, then do all the wraps over the loop. Tie it off as usual. Pull both tags tight and cut them off with a razor.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: April 15, 2010 01:27AM

If you were a Boy Scout, basically you are tying a clove hitch on the rod as per Ben's explanation above.
Three threads is the best I can do with this method and have it look decent, but it is fast and easy once you get the hang of it.

Refer to page 3 of this article from the Library:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.static.gci.net)
Date: April 15, 2010 10:50AM

I start the wrap with the trim band, then put a couple of wraps over what will be your Tag End. When the guide wrap is started I then cut the thread for the trim band leaving the Tag End. Now wrap a few more wraps of the of the giude wwrap and I will cut off both of the Tagends for the trim band, pulling lightly toward the trim band end of the wrap. This will pull back part of the guide wrap, and allow both of the Tag ends to be covered up by the guide wrap. As Always check for nubs after the first coat of finish

Posted by: James Reed (---.org)
Date: April 15, 2010 12:13PM

I tie a nail knot onto the rod using the two ends of the thread and then just slide the trim band where it needs to go and snug it down. Have some color preserver standing by help hold it in place.

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.sonoco.com)
Date: April 15, 2010 01:08PM

My method is as follows for a standalone (5) turn trim band.
- place a piece of masking tape where you want to start
- place your tie off loop along side the blank and start the wrap over it as usual.
- make four turns of thread over the cross over point
- pack up against the tape
- cut off the tag end of the main thread.
- Make another turn (#5) over the crossover point,
- cut main thread, insert thru tie off loop, pull snug and trim to 3/4" (before pulling thru.)
- then pull tie off loop thru. Apply tension to tag and cut with razor.
notes:
- I always use tape for my starting point, it keeps things straight and you can pack against it.
- keep tension on the trim band thread at all times or it will loosen and unravel
- I find you need to make at lease (3) truns over the crossover point to get it to hold (4) is better.
- use a sharp razor, make all cuts with a single clean stroke while applying some tension to tag ends.
it will kind of "snap back" and not leave anything sticking up.
- I've found that any ends sticking up, even if singed with a lighter, end up as a nub sticking up after the first finish coat. It has to be trimmed off and recoated.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: April 15, 2010 03:07PM

James Reed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I tie a nail knot onto the rod using the two ends
> of the thread and then just slide the trim band
> where it needs to go and snug it down. Have some
> color preserver standing by help hold it in place.

Bingo!

Posted by: Bill Davidor (---.dsl.renocs.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 15, 2010 06:10PM

When using a nail knot taping a short section of a straw to the blank creates a tunnel which makes it easier to feed the thread through.

Bill Davidor

Posted by: James Reed (---.slsbmd.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 16, 2010 10:21AM

Bill Davidor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When using a nail knot taping a short section of a
> straw to the blank creates a tunnel which makes it
> easier to feed the thread through.

Actually I just use my finger and wrap the thread around my finger. I keep a pair of needlenose pliers on my bench so I just grab the ends and pull them through. I can do the nail knot trim bands in like 30 seconds start to finish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster