I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro spiral question
Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.nrflva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 12, 2010 08:34PM

Doing my first micro spiral wrap rod and don't know where to start. If I was building them all on top, I would just go with threes all the way up. Can I do that with a spiral? What is the basic rule for spiraling micros. Looking at doing a simple spiral. 0, 90, 180, the micros to the tip.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro spiral question
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2010 11:09PM

If you are committed to using the "simple spiral wrap" method, I would suggest not using Micros

Normally I will go 6df- 5- 4- 3 mm’s to the tip unless using 2or 2.5’s
With the technique you are looking to use that rod for. Stay with a 6mm tip, using and ALPS tip will give a slightly smaller profile.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2010 11:20PM

Craig,
I agree with Steve,
It is a good idea to have the first guide tall enough so that the line can easily spool off the top of the reel without touching the top of the guide.
Then, the 2nd and 3rd guides need to be sized as well so as to minimize line contact with the sides or top of those guides during conventional casts and retreives.
Basically start at the reel string some guides on the line and then run the line through the tip of the rod. Keeping the rod unbent - arrange the guides by size, location and orientation so as to minimize line contact and allow the best line flow with minimum contact and friction. Just have a roll of masking tape handy and tape the guides temporarily in place to do some line in, line out testing.

Note - in particular for the butt or first guide, be careful about the orientation. Many folks set the first or butt guide at 0 degrees to the reel. Many of us have found that if you do set the first or butt guide at 0 degrees, the line will tend to stack up on one side of the tyical bait casting reel. However, by rotating the first or butt guide a few degrees in the direction of the spiral, that the line will now be spooled on flat to the reel. Thus, to test this setting you need to spool out about 20 yards of line and then wind in the line keeping gentle pressure on the line from before the tip of the rod. Keep an eye on the line as it gets laid on the reel spool. If the butt guide is set at the wrong angle or degree of orientation with respect to the setting of the reel, you will find that the line stacks up on either one or the other side of the reel. If you do find the line stacking on one side of the reel, then change the angular attachment location of the first or butt guide to get the line to lay flat on the spool as it is reeled in.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.nrflva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 13, 2010 07:07AM

Thanks guys. I will do as ya'll suggested.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2010 07:23PM

"...If you are committed to using the "simple spiral wrap" method...." What is this saying, exactly? I'm guessing from prior posts and similar recent experience (based on posts) that you are referring to using something closer to or exactly the same as the Forhan method? I cant seem to be able to wrap my mind around why...probably 'cause I didnt really understand the differences to begin with?

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 13, 2010 07:40PM

It is saying that if you are going to use the “simple” spiral warp then don’t use micro guides. More specifically don’t use them to make the transition from top to bottom. Once on the bottom it really wouldn’t matter.

The “Simple” spiral involves laying out the guides as needed then with the stripper guide on top and the next guide on the bottom, then adding an extra guide (bumper) between the two to keep the line off the blank.

The problem that arises with the small size of the Micro guides and closer spacing is that the line coming through them at a sharp angle to the guides tends to create a pinching action that restricts casting distance.
The same reason you want to stick with a larger tips when using heavier mono/floro lines.

Have never used the Forhan wrap so I can’t answer that.

Posted by: Brad Young (---.cha.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 15, 2010 04:51PM

I have done a spiral wrap with all 3 mm guides. I set the rod up as a simply spiral and then added 2 transtion guides between the butt guide and first guide on bottom. Grant it they are alot closer to each other than if you where to use just a spiral wrap starting with a 6 and then going down. Got great casting distance with it I have to say.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster