I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"2-2.5 Micfo Info."
Posted by: Scott Parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2010 08:35PM

Since so many people have not worked with them yet.

I’ve been in contact with Steve Gardner and he has agreed to share a couple of tips and some info on the types of rods he has used micros this size on.
If anyone else has any info that would benefit interested builders? Your sharing would also be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Scott & Karen

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "2-2.5 Micfo Info."
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2010 10:51PM

For those interested in working with the 2 and 5.5 mm micro guides.
I have found them to work exceptionally well, sometimes out performing the larger 3mm-4mm micros on different setups.

Like; the 2mm’s on Batson ISB841 spinning rods with 30 braided line has proven to be IMO an awesome (maybe best) setup I’ve ever used for skipping baits up under docks with braided line. Providing enough strength to get the fish back out. I love skipping wacky rigged Sinko’s with these setups.

Mostly I stick to 10lb and under mono/floro line and 30 lb braids or under when working with the 2mm guides. (Not saying you couldn’t use stronger lines; these are just what I have been using.)

Here are a few tips and suggestions based on some of the emails I've received;
1. Don’t wait too long to order, I know Scott has a limited supply that will not last long at all. Based on the number of Emails I received from people wanting to know where to purchase some. He was in my opinion been a little cautious in the first “getting his feet wet order”

2. I suggest re-reading the articles in RodMaker Magazine Vol.10 Issue 3 and Vol. 11 Issue #1 some of the info there will save you some time in the long run.

3. When using the smaller Micro’s on spinning rods, I would suggest using a 3.5 as your first micro after the choker guide. Don’t know why but have found the casting distance to be better that way.

4. If you are worried about tying leaders and using these small of micros guides. Don’t use them in those situations, unless you tie short enough leaders that they don’t have to be reeled into the guides.

5. Rods I have used 2 or 2.5's on;
Cranking sticks- Bait casters
Top water rods- Bait casters
Shaky head setups- Spinning rods
Drop shot rods-(Bait casting and Spinning)
Worm/tube/finesse jig rods- (Both)
Trick worms- Bait casters
Sinko rods- (both)
Stick bait/jerk bait rods- Bait casters

Re: "2-2.5 Micfo Info."
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 13, 2010 01:18AM

I've had a set of 2mm's for several years, yes....I know they were not available then. I was lucky enough to get a set from Batson through a friend of mine back then. Anyway, I've been using these guides and 6/20lb Power Pro for quite a while now on a Batson RX8+ 822.5. I love these little guides! They weigh nothing! and perform SUPER.... and I mean SUPER. I've had striped bass bend this rod back into the split of the grip for several minutes at a time and I really have gotten a good look at how they handle the extreme pressure that several 28+ fish can put on them.

I hope that everyone will give these guides a try for themselves and make it worth the distributor's time to carry these for everyone to be able to purchase. As Steve pointed out, they're not "right" for every presentation out there, but I think you'll be surprised at just how many use's these small guides do so well with.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster