I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Why I hate
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: April 05, 2010 12:00AM

I hate guys who have never built a rod in their entire life! But they want your help to build one long distance. I give them basic info. and where to find some information. Then He ask Me , what I recommend for guide spacing. I tell them the basics because I am not there to actually see whats going on. I give them what I consider a staring point for spacing and to do a stress test, pre casting an adjust from that point. He then comes back and says that is not what the blank manufactures recommends. Unfortunately he is a good friend from Berkeley CA. He has a degree in Mathematics and a masters in Physics. But NO common sense LOL EMORY WHERE ARE YOU!! He is your kind of guy ::) ( I am smiling) He would have you turning in your grave, if you were gone. You can compare him to my spelling. Right now he is messaging my wife back an forth. She knows how to build rods

Good Wraps Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why I hate
Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: April 05, 2010 07:29AM

People can only take advantage of you if you let them. He is being cheap. It is easier to get information from you than to buy a book or DVD or pay to attend a rod building class. If you are willing to spend your time walking him through it step by step, he will let you.

Posted by: Will Graham (208.93.35.---)
Date: April 05, 2010 07:56AM

No offense Peter, but an attitude like that will not help to grow this craft. As you said, many basic concepts are covered in books and DVD's; however, there are many subtleties of the craft that are not covered. That is where a place such as this forum, and the helpful people that visit it come in.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: April 05, 2010 08:53AM

Sounds to me like someone who is caught up between the "rules" and the reality of building a rod.

Help him out and tell him that he owes you a jumbo prong dinner ( [rodbuilding.org] )

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: April 05, 2010 10:32AM

Will, I AGREE but there are also people who will take advantage of you if you let them. Some will NOT spend a dime as long as they can get someone to do or tell them something for free.

Posted by: Ben Lee (159.83.196.---)
Date: April 05, 2010 10:57AM

Bob,

Wow !, you are not doing us any good by not educating him. You should ask him to learn from the first build, get more blanks and more supplies from vendors to the left here, and then builds second and third until he is satisfied.

Ben

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2010 12:17PM

Bob,
Since you are friends with him, have each of you get a video camera and an internet video communication program for your pc like Skype, or MSN, or one of the other widly available programs.

Then, set up the video cameras in each of your work shops and each other can look, see, and converse with each other as you work.

It today's world, it is very inexpensive to do such a thing. If each of you have a newer laptop, you will already have a built in camera. Since you are on this forum, you already have internet access.

So, simply place the cameras with their integrated microphones in position and go to work.

A few video sessions will make a huge huge difference for understanding.

It is quite common for folks who have never done a handiwork related task having issues. In virtually all cases, a picture is worth a thousand words. So, a continuous video is worth a library of books.

Give it a try, you will enjoy visiting with your friend as you work and show him what is needed to do.

Simple and easy.

Take care

Roger

p.s.
I have used such a setup, when I had a need to help some friends and relatives with a problem in home building that they were working on. It just made the solution so simple and we all had a chance to visit as we all worked together on the project from different parts of the country.

Remember, with most of the video networking programs that are available, you can configure many folks into the call at the same time and then have the video that is needed at a time to be displayed on particular persons pcs.

Posted by: John Sagvold (---.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 05, 2010 01:57PM

Bob,
I am building my first rod now. I have read and re-read L. Garcia's "how to" book, asked for advice a couple of times from folks on this website, and also received help from a couple of rod building people I know. I am trying to make a conscious effort to do this on my own as at some point I am the person doing the building, and I do not want to be a pest. The amount of information that is available online regarding rod building is amazing (the library on this site is amazing). However, I am finding that it comes down to time. I have spent hours struggling with wraps and suspect that I will spend many more hours to get the quality I want.

No matter how much information your friend wants it's gonna come down to him making the time and experiencing just a few of the hundreds and probably thousands of hours you have spent rodbuilding. So in my opinion, your best response to him when he asks a question, Oh, "you'll find that information from the manufacturer or go to the rodbuilding.org library".

As for my new rod the wraps are done. Woo Hoo. And I'm almost ready to get the epoxy on, just a bit more practice.

Enjoy the day, John

Posted by: Ryan Thirtyacre (---.dr01.aled.il.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 05, 2010 05:09PM

if it were me, and a friend wanted help, id help him as best as i possibly could and not charge him a dime if i am not purchasing anything.

that is my mentality with friends. whats mine, is yours.

this could also lead to people walking all over me, i understand...

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: April 05, 2010 05:31PM

BOB....

I agree with you 100%, as I have been in that spot several times. I disagree with Ben 100%. My job as a rod builder is NOT to grow the craft...sure I can help and assist even a friend...But my God, some people just need to wein themselves off and break down and buy a book. Rod building is not rocket science; although you may not be able to tell that by a few topics lately...LOL

I'm not the sharpest too in the shed; I bought Tom's book and dove headfirst into it. Sure, it could have been EASIER if I would have called some budds and milked them for all their worth, but I think you went above and beyond the call of duty as a builder in my eyes...I think buying a well illustrated book and learning on your own is so much more rewarding than if someone showed you step by step how to do a forhan lock or another rod building tactic...

I love this "hobby" of mine. I love exchanging info, learning from all, and helping others...but I don't have a obligation to build it.

IMHO,
Paul

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2010 05:35PM

Paul,
It is great that you were able to learn with the method that you used.
Unfortunately all folkes minds are not wired the same. What may work for one persons learning, may not work well for a different persons learning.

Neither person is slow or doesn't have the urge and will to learn. It is just a simple fact that different folks learn using different methods.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2010 07:06PM

Roger,

You said it all,

Thank-you

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: April 05, 2010 07:11PM

Roger...

I know what you are saying and as a 20 plus year fire service instructor, I concur with you about learning methods. But my point is, people need to think like me. LOL just kdding. All kidding aside, some folks have to be given "tough rod building love."

"Tough rod building love" is: one demontsrates the some basics, refer to them great illustartions, tell them about this remarkable websight, (And no Tom, I'm not trying to kiss and make up form last months post I made!!) give htem some personal views on rod building tools like Tom's book does, and then let them on their own....

I know I over simplify things, but like I said, some people need the "tough rod building love."

Paul

Posted by: Michael Abraham (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2010 01:11AM

Have your friend join grizzly peak fly fishers. It is a local club that meets next to Berkeley and teaches rod building among other activities. Your frind can look up the club on the web.

Posted by: Ben Lee (159.83.196.---)
Date: April 06, 2010 10:20AM

Tom,

It's not fair that you allows Paul to rate me. Last time I look (back of my underwear label) My mom still LOVES me.

Hee Hee.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster