I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral's for a Heavy Fly rod/spey?
Posted by: Colin Dunn (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: March 28, 2010 06:53PM

I've been asked to build a spey rod using the 'Roberts Roll" for guide placement, although I understand the advantages that this would provide to a casting/mooching rod I just can't see what it would accomplish for a fly rod. has anyone ever considered this or at least heard of it being done?

Thanks
Colin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral's for a Heavy Fly rod/spey?
Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: March 28, 2010 07:37PM

If the "Roberts Roll" is the same as a spiral wrap, it wouldn't be applicable for a fly rod, therfore it would not accomplish anything in my eyes. It would be a very miserable rod to fish with! Did the guy say "why" he wants the Roberts Roll?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2010 09:36PM by Paul Rotkis.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2010 08:08PM

The purpose of a spiral wrap is to put the guides on the bottom of the rod. Since the guides on a fly rod are already on the bottom of the rod, there is nothing else to do. You already have a "Robert's Roll" (he meant, "Robert's Wrap) effect on all fly type rods - the guides are already on the bottom.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2010 08:15PM

Tell him you'll do it for him, but it'll cost him an extra $100. I bet he pays it.

Posted by: Terry Goode (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 28, 2010 08:27PM

now thats funny !

Date: March 28, 2010 08:38PM

From what he has told me, this has been a topic of discussion between himself and a well known European spey caster for quite a few years and just has never been put to the test, your comments mirror what I have told him. In the end I will probably end up building this rod for him just to answer his curiosities, and then probably just as quickly rebuild it.

Colin

Date: March 28, 2010 10:18PM

How do you plan to implement a spiral wrap on a fly-spey rod? Since the guides are already on the bottom, you have nowhere to go other than up to the top, which will completely defeat the purpose of a spiral wrap in the first place.

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2010 12:50AM

Colin - if the "Mad Hatter" wants a "Robert's Roll" on a Spey fly rod - why not have some fun and build it - life's too short to not introduce some laughter when you can. I once built a "Robert's Roll" on a high end Bass casting rod to prove a point to some die hard tournament bass angler's - that the spiral wrap does not decrease or increase casting distance. As any casting rod the first guide was on top - then in 2 guides I was on the bottom - 2 more guides and back on top - 2 more guides "Rolled" to the bottom and stayed there to the tip. It became the most requested of my Demo rods - until someone was so enchanted with the rod they kept it - I still can't figure out who actually has it . It cast as well as any eyes up or spiral wrap rod - but looked so strange - anyone that used it usually could not stop laughing long enough to SET THE HOOK!

So in your case - start on the side with the reel - "Roll in 2 to the top - 2 more to the bottom and stay there. You now have a 360 degree "Robert's roll" which should be quite a conversation piece - but it is what he asked for. It may even cast as well as an all eyes on the bottom where they belong - I have no idea - but it will be custom - as the ONLY one of its kind.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.60.---)
Date: March 29, 2010 03:06AM

Hey I want to this guy casting with the reel on top LOL I can still remember the first Roberts Wrap I did. (Close to 15, 16 years ago). I was working in my shop late one night. The shop was right below a motel where some of the fishing guides were staying. Any way here they came at 1 AM from a night of partying. When I showed them my new rod. The first thing they said was . Balcombe what have you been drinking or smoking? LOL So I call all my Acid Rods, Drunk Rods. My play on words

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range86-148.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 29, 2010 06:15AM

This post has got me thinking. When I first read it my first thought were the same as Toms. "the guides are already on the bottom" so theres nowhere to roll. Now I have built many spey rods and I would like to just throw this into the mix and get some thoughts.
The major problems any spey rod runs into is loose joints due to the side strain involved in "spey casting" I always tape my joints with electrical tape to stop the twisting. The force of the line is 90 degrees to the guide leg when forming the D loop and tends to move the guide ring to the inside and up. This twisting is usually at it worst around the first ferrule.What if you modified the stripper(s) placment on the side and then just rolled it 90 to the bottom?

Date: March 29, 2010 08:24AM

Then the force would work against you on the opposite side of the cast.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.242.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2010 11:09AM

It's not particularly unusual to see people fish with an open-face spin reel facing up and reeling backward. A spiral wrap would be just the ticket for such folks. Perhaps this guy flips his spey rod upside down and retreives line by reeling backward? I'd love to see this. Even more, I'd enjoy an explanation of how weight should be added to the rod to balance the upside-down reel.

Date: March 29, 2010 11:09AM

I think Scott may be on the same train of thought as the person who asked me to build this. With a spey rod the power stroke is the back cast forming the D-loop, the forward cast is transferring that power out over the water and doesn't necessarily put as much strain on the rod.

I am thinking of doing a 180 degree spiral with the first guide(stripper) at 90 degrees to the bottom and then working the rest of the guides underneath gradually to the other side at 15 degree increments.

Colin

Date: March 29, 2010 11:51AM

I do not understand the concept of the spey backcast being the "power stroke." Casting distance is proportional to line speed. Line speed depends upon the velocity of the rod tip and the stored energy in the loaded rod. Does the additional energy stored in the rod through a "power" backcast excede the lower speed of the rod tip resulting from a less "powerful" (slower) forecast?

Date: March 29, 2010 12:57PM

Hi Phil, yes and no, with the spey type casts line speed is not as important as a properly formed D-loop and a good anchor. A lot of singlehand casters fall into a bit of a false sense of 'powering' the cast in order to get it out there and usually that ends up in a pile of line at the rod tip on the forward stroke as they are rushing the D-loop and not providing a good anchor.

My forward casting stroke is a short 6 to 8 inch 'flick' of the bottom hand, in essence it is all I need to 'steer' the power built up in the back cast, forward. Where as the back cast starts with the rod tip at the waters level and is raised (powered so to speak) through to the 2 o'clock position.

Colin

Date: March 29, 2010 01:18PM

The most power will be required when fighting the fish, and that means the rod will be subject to twist and torque at that point if you have the guides on top of the rod.

Date: March 29, 2010 03:35PM

Thanks for the explanation, Colin. I'm unschooled and unskilled in spey casting. I have noticed that in overhead casting whenever the rod's forward speed decreases the rod immediately begins to unload. The only "power stroke" I am familiar with is an attempt to accelerate the rod, and I know in overhead casting power (speed) can not be added to the forecast until the backcast straightens out. I'm still unsure why reduced "power" (effort?) during a forecast would not result in shorter casts.

Date: March 29, 2010 06:02PM

Tom, thats why I'm wondering if a 180 degree or 1/2 spiral will be of any benefit. We also use a lot of side pressure when fighting steelhead and salmon on our Vancouver Island Rivers and thats when we see a lot of breakage.

Colin

Date: March 29, 2010 07:17PM

It's not going to have any effect on breakage.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster