I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

problem with wood handle finish
Posted by: John Sagvold (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2010 10:18AM

I am having problems with finishing a black ash burl handle. I have tried using a high build one coat epoxy and a lite epoxy. the epoxy does not seem to cure all the way and does not smoothly cover the wood (almost like there is some propery in the wood that is rejecting the epoxy). I am applying the epoxy to the handle as it turns. Once coated, I hand turn like I would for a wrap, clocking 180 degrees as necessary. I am using syringes so my mix is dead on. I would prefer to use epoxy to match the reel seat. However, any clear type finishes will work. The wood is as dry as it is going to get. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: problem with wood handle finish
Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 27, 2010 10:23AM

Check out Rodmaker volume 12 #2. It has an excellent article showing how to get a perfect finish using Tru Oil. I've followed it several times and haven't been disappointed.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 27, 2010 11:02AM

I forget who, but someone turned me onto this product, works great. [www.woodturnerscatalog.com]

Posted by: David Spence (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2010 03:36PM

Ditto on that Gel Poly fish for wood-nothing like it.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (---.dhcp.trlk.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 27, 2010 04:01PM

I found a process on another site that uses Tru-Oil in a dipping tube. My results with this method have been nothing short of spectacular.

I made a dipping tube out of PVC pipe and two caps.

Finish sanding on the lathe, and as Tom's article (Rodmaker 12-2) says finalize the sanding by hand WITH the grain to at least 320 grit.
I made some dipping aids out of 1/4" plastic tubing with a 1/4-20 nut threaded on one end. Slip the other end through the seat or handle. You hold onto the top part of the tubing to dip.
Put Tru-Oil in dipping tube (don't fill it too high, you need room for the volume of wood being dipped) and dip the item all the way down into the finish.
Let the excess drip free and then place upright into a large-mouth canning jar and put it close under a warm light to cure.

I dip twice, then sand wet with 600grit wet/dry paper to smooth, then dip twice more.
Then I sand smooth and finish up with micro-mesh, down to 12000 grit. All final sanding is with the grain.
I finalize with white (automotive) polishing compound.

If I have time later on I'll post a couple of photos of the results.

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2010 05:56PM

Thread epoxy isn't really designed to be used as a wood coating. You can do it, but it's not ideal. I'd fall back on something that was designed to be used on wood.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.60.---)
Date: March 27, 2010 06:50PM

Tom answered the question. Walt bring your process to woodland

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 27, 2010 08:17PM

Gel poly finish works GREAT

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.60.---)
Date: March 27, 2010 09:46PM

Mike with all the advice and hint you have passed on. Your last statement was the most profound comment you have ever made. Honey does for my honey is all I ever do now except when it comes to rod building. Now rod building takes priority

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: mike burnette (209.105.133.---)
Date: March 27, 2010 11:49PM

Hey Guys one other tip you can try before you dip in the Tru-oil.
Take a damp clean rag and wipe your reel sea or handlet.It raises the tiny fibers on the surface
of the wood.You may have to use a hair dryer,then sand the tiny fibers down with 600 or so paper.
You can then repeat the process.I used this trick to refinish gun stocks.It made the stocks
look like they were a inch thick.But I only had 3 or 4 coats of tru-oil on them.
I always applied my tru-oil by hand.Depending on the wood usually 4 to 6 coats.
enjoy,mikeb

Home Town,Gretna VA

Posted by: William Blake (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 28, 2010 12:00AM

This is the clearest, hardest and fastest finish I have ever used, application takes a minute.
Supplies, thick cyanoacrylate glue-"ca ", boiled linseed oil-"blo", some folded paper towel pads.
Have lathe turning around 300-500 rpm. Take a pad and put a good gob of ca on it and smear on the handle quickly, grab another pad with a gob of blo and smear the ca around. The ca will start to stink as it cures , then increase pressure and rpm, finish buffing with a dry pad. I you have ridges sand with 600, wipe off the dust and refinish. After a time or two its a piece of cake.
I use truoil first to pop the grain and put the finish on top while it is still wet if i'm in a hurry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2010 12:05AM by William Blake.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2010 08:44AM

Mike,
If you use a poly finish - be sure to use a poly material that is resistant to UV.
Many Poly finishes are designed to be used only indoors and if hit by the bright rays of the sun for long periods of time will be destroyed by the ultra light.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2010 09:28AM

the poly gel finish mike is referring to is has uv inhibitors and is rated for marine use. it is a wipe on finish and can be applied on the lathe. there are numerous finishes that work on woods depending on the type of wood used and type of look you are looking for. the poly gel is a very easy one to use and is applicable to many woods.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2010 10:34AM

Josh,
I assume that this is the product to which you are referring?

[www.petripaintcompany.com]

It looks linke the perfect product.
Easy to wipe on, use the lathe for a mirror finish - great.

Roger

Posted by: Walt Natzke (---.dhcp.trlk.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 28, 2010 11:34AM

I posted some photos of my results using the dipping process:

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster